Outback driving- PULP

leechj

Hi All,

Driving in the outback NSW, NT and SA, if I remember correctly, not many places have PULP.

I did a bit of searching and find a heap of discussion's on pre '86 Air cooled 911's.

But I'm trying to figure out exactly what a Cayman needs and came across this;

http://press.porsche.com/archive/products/press_kits/press_kits_2006/pdf/revised_2006_pdf/cayman_s_specs_version_2.pdf

If I look on wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Premium in Australia is 95 RON, so when we say Premium goes in the Porsche Cayman S 2006, are we talking 95 or 98?

Premium in the US seems to be 95, but that looks like its AKI while Europe it's 98 RON...

I'm now more confused. 

So 98 or 95 RON?

95 RON short term going to be ok? what about a blend, lol, i.e., a 10-20 litre gerry can, full of 98, get somewhere without 98, put in the 98, and fill the rest with 95...oh man...

From Page 196 Owners Manual for PCNA:

Your engine is designed to provide optimum performance and fuel economy using unleaded premium fuel with an octane rating of 98 RON (93 CLC or AKI). Porsche therefore recommends the use of these fuels in your vehicle. Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON (90 CLC or AKI), since the engine’s “Electronic Oktane™ knock control” will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary. 

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/Owners_Manual_Cayman_PCNA.pdf

You should be fine, I did the drive to Uluru a couple of years ago and always found 95 as a minimum, even on the Oodnadatta Track in Marree and William Creek. I had 60 litres of 98 on the roof rack and half a dozen bottles of octane booster just in case, but next time I'd just take one Jerry and more octane booster as backup, you'd be fine with just octane booster to be honest in case you had to fill up with 91.

The main roads have Shell garages fairly well spaced apart. Just be prepared to pay a lot more for your fuel.....

William Creek pub.!  Good pit stop  :lol:

Then through to the 'Pink Poodle' for a burger...

From memory it was a pretty disappointing burger, but then they hadn't had a food delivery for 2 weeks due to wet weather, so everything was a tad elderly...

10255878_759304377427275_134616511586148

From memory it was a pretty disappointing burger, but then they hadn't had a food delivery for 2 weeks due to wet weather, so everything was a tad elderly...

10255878_759304377427275_134616511586148

/off topic   

Then up to Mount Dare for a couple of schooners, and across to Dalhousie for a welcome tub in the hot springs.! 

Archived