Information on Cayman S

Good price - but also factor in the cost of putting in the LN IMS bearing. 

Not really. They do still have an IMS bearing, but it is no where near the problem of those in the 986/996 cars. 

Good price - but also factor in the cost of putting in the LN IMS bearing. 

considering you have to split the case to do it, that would be quite a cost!!!

Appears to also have Sports Chrono and Sports seats too? They look different to the ones I had in mine.. more shoulder support...

Wheels are so-so... but I reckon that's a good buy.

I might call up. Thanks for posting the link!

MFX and Mike are right. The bearing is not accessible like the earlier cars, as it was upgraded. The failure rate is also minimal compared to the M96, and from what I've read would be comparable to the failures that happen on other high performance marques, including the mighty M3.

This car is well optioned, just had a $2k service and is low KMs. Previous service history would be nice, and as usual a PPI would be the cherry on the cake. Go for it. 

I would love to understand the logic of this. If my engine started making dodgy noises, I would turn it off and not run it. Why would you keep it running and the rev it for a video? And it seems he kept driving it to get home. Hope he didn't just ad $$$$$ to his repair bill.

I would love to understand the logic of this. If my engine started making dodgy noises, I would turn it off and not run it. Why would you keep it running and the rev it for a video? And it seems he kept driving it to get home. Hope he didn't just ad $$$$$ to his repair bill.

Indeed. I cringed when I heard it Sounds exactly like the orchestra that people report when the IMS bearing fails. But if he drove it home, then maybe not, as they grenade very quickly after failing. Sounds like piston and valves getting acquainted. Multiple misfire? 

I have heard recorded sounds of heavily scored bores also sounds similar, as the pistons are rocking in the bore, but that would not come on quickly. Sounds to me, more like some form of oil starvation has killed the rod bearings.... ouch.

• 2 months later...

Am told anywhere from $3500 to $5000 depending who does it, and if they over inflate the mandatory P tax

Accurate enough for an M96, but the M97 in the Cayman has an oversize bearing that can't simply be replaced, it requires a full engine tear down to seperate the halves of the case so I suspect its a bit more expensive ;)

Archived