Mid engined 911 RSR

Mike737

Could it be that Porsche has come to the end of the road (pardon the pun) with trying to push the performance envelope with rear engine layout? That the superior balance accorded by a mid-engine layout is necessary to keep up with the ever increasing push for performance.

This is the layout the new GT2 will have (they can't build a race car that doesn't follow a road car variant anymore - like we saw with the old V8 Z4's for example).

What will be interesting is whether the whole 911 range shifts to this new "mid-rear" (which is really mid) in all future models, or whether it is kept for just specials such as the GT2.

If they do shift the whole range I wonder if this means the mooted 960 won't go ahead.

2017-Porsche-960-Release-Date.jpg

Because marketing. 

They can't say the "cheap" car is the best one. 

A few car companies are going this path now. BMW are making the M4 for GT4, M6 for GT3 and will be building their 2018 GT LME car on their future M8 platform.

Porsche are doing GT4 for GT4, GT3 for GT3 and GT2 for GT LME.

• 7 months later...

By swinging the engine & gear box 180 degrees, Im not sure if you could call it 911 anymore. I don't think there will be any more room for rear seats either.

Is that what actually happened (so the gearbox is now behind the engine) or did they just move the whole engine & gearbox forward?

Porsche has been tight-lipped on the layout of the RSR. I did read though that the reason for the change was not due to wanting to change the balance of the car, it was simply to allow them to run a bigger rear diffuser. 

Is that what actually happened (so the gearbox is now behind the engine) or did they just move the whole engine & gearbox forward?

Porsche has been tight-lipped on the layout of the RSR. I did read though that the reason for the change was not due to wanting to change the balance of the car, it was simply to allow them to run a bigger rear diffuser. 

Engine "Positioned in front of the rear axle"

From Porsches own website  http://www.porsche.com/australia/motorsportandevents/motorsport/worksracing/racingcars/991-911-rsr/featuresandspecs/

Archived