Aged tyres

ANF

At a fraction of the cost of genuine most go for the Volvo mount or other after market mounts with no noticeable difference.

Also http://landsharkoz.com/tt/tt_mounts.htm

Can't say I agree. Look at the difference between the Volvo mounts and the genuine article side by side - I did when I had mine replaced, it's quite a difference in quality and density of rubber. Like just about all Porsche parts they are typically better quality than just about anything else on the market and yes you pay for that.  

Kind of surprised we are debating the merits of running on old tyres and jamming Volvo parts into a Porsche........on a Porsche forum...

I hear that Hyundais are cheap to maintain

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

michelin now make pilot sport 4 tyres in the front 16" size

apparently a lot of an upgrade from ps3 (ps2 to ps3 apparently not so much)

205/55/16 $190 or so

Looks interesting however:

http://autobuzz.my/2016/10/21/michelin-pilot-sport-4-launched-malaysia-23-sizes-priced-rm481/

No rear size unless I've missed something (Assuming a 225/50-16).

But worst of all, looks like the TWI is 320.  Should work well on a RAV 4 and a grey Fergie.

Kind of surprised we are debating the merits of running on old tyres and jamming Volvo parts into a Porsche........on a Porsche forum...

So Carl's products are by definition rubbish?

A lot of Porsche products/parts are now made in China. You put Chinese rubbish in your PORSCHES,  chaps? C'mon!

So Carl's products are by definition rubbish?

A lot of Porsche products/parts are now made in China. You put Chinese rubbish in your PORSCHES,  chaps? C'mon!

Thats a floored argument Tazzie - my comment was in relation to fitting Volvo parts on a Porsche not where the part was made. Following your logic, replace that complex 32v Porsche V8 with a Holden V8. It's cheaper and they do the same thing don't they? 

Where the Porsche part is made is irrelevant - the part is made to a Porsche spec and Porsche will stand by the part and replace it if needed or if it fails; I just had a new door seal that I fitted split - likely from being in storage, but no questions asked, new part freighted to me at no cost based on a phone call. Return the old part once I have replaced it. 

Each to his own - Engine mounts are a big job - do it once with the right part or caveat emptor. 

Dave

Each to his own - Engine mounts are a big job - do it once with the right part or caveat emptor. 

If you research the topic , there are some very well regarded people who say the Porsche fluid filled mounts collapse quickly > metal on metal (vibration) and have many examples of failed Porsche mounts. It's a long job to replace them , even if the part is replaced they won't pay for labour. The same people report great success with "Volvo" mounts, and if suddenly Porsche stopped supplying "Porsche" mounts (Porsche don't support the old classic parts market nearly as well as say . MB) people would be perfectly happy with "Volvo" mounts.

Porsche have done plenty of engineering work for Volvo. Not always successfully!

I respect your opinion and others but 4 years in with the oem mounts Tazzie and very happy - also happy to agree not to agree on this one

Dave

Nothing to fit a 928... will just have to hope they keep making the PS3s!

Adam, I've been very happy with the Continentals on the stock manhole wheels

Dave

I respect your opinion and others but 4 years in with the oem mounts Tazzie and very happy - also happy to agree not to agree on this one

Dave

Adam, I've been very happy with the Continentals on the stock manhole wheels

Dave

What Continentals are they Dave? I have been swayed away from PS3s before only to be disappointed.....

Engine mounts - what ever your view there is no doubt that whatever you put in there will be better than what comes out - most will be 20 - 30 years old......

Thanks Peter, I still believe that the PS3 to be a better tyre and if it is available next year when I most likely replace mine will go for it. The PS4 from tests I have read seems to be better again, just a shame that they chose not to make available in the same sizes as the PS3.....

Adam,

I had the PS3 on the front of the SC and replaced them with the RE003. This was done as the wife's car needed rear tread and I wanted to try the Bridgestone after positive feedback on this forum. The PS3 were 235 and the RE003 were 225. Smaller was chosen for scraping on the inner rail/pan. This also made the decision easier to justify. I can tell you with first hand experience that the Bridgestone are a superior tyre in grip. This is saying something as I am a Michellin man as they have great wear and grip, but comparing these two tyres, the Bridgestone are ahead by a considerable margin.

Adam,

I had the PS3 on the front of the SC and replaced them with the RE003. This was done as the wife's car needed rear tread and I wanted to try the Bridgestone after positive feedback on this forum. The PS3 were 235 and the RE003 were 225. Smaller was chosen for scraping on the inner rail/pan. This also made the decision easier to justify. I can tell you with first hand experience that the Bridgestone are a superior tyre in grip. This is saying something as I am a Michellin man as they have great wear and grip, but comparing these two tyres, the Bridgestone are ahead by a considerable margin.

Thanks P-Kay, is that wet or dry grip you are referring to?

Both dry and morning mist. I have no wet comparisons - sorry

Cheers, wet grip is top of my list. Where we live has a very winding road in and out and in winter the road can stay permanently wet (due to tree cover - looks great but makes a wet road!) even with a mostly dry day.

The Bridgestones are great wet weather tyres. I used to have a set just for wet track days when R compounds were just too scary. They would also hold up as an intermediate, although like all road tyres, as soon as it was properly dry, you could feel the blocks moving about after only a few laps and it was possible to destroy a set in one thoughtless session.

You know I have the Bridgestones for my wet winding roads Adam? :) Hey , aren't we almost neighbours?

You don't have the RE003s though if I am right? My little road a bit more twisty than yours and very much tree covered :) plus it has bitten me once!!

Yep very close :D

You don't have the RE003s though if I am right? My little road a bit more twisty than yours and very much tree covered :) plus it has bitten me once!!

RE003s on the front & Turanzas on the back as they didn't have any Potenzas around. You just need to slow down in the wet!

And no Firstone , I'm a British bulldog by birth. Tassie's like the mainland - stuffed full of migrants!

Archived