Cayman boom!

LeeM

So a mate has bought an 06 S model, and the incessant low end hum is already driving him nuts. I will say that he's a very fussy bloke, and being an experienced musician,  he knows all about acoustics, so he's trying all sorts of things to try and eliminate it.

He just showed me the wall of very dense insulation he fitted to try, though it doesnt seem to have done too much to help. I've told him to turn up the stereo or wind the window down a bit, yet that didn't really help.

Has anyone had the same problem that they've solved? He'd love to try anything!

Tell him to get a Carnewal exhaust. He'll forget there used be windows in his doors. Seriously though, I don't recall an incessant low hum from my stock system. Completely the opposite in fact. Maybe there's another cause within the exhaust.

After market systems tend to drone at certain revs, so if he's sure he hasn't got one of those, I'd look at diagnosing the stock one.

I had a thumping noise that could have been described as a drone on certain surfaces. The fix was to add additional packing to the two rubber blocks midway along the edges of the rear hatch so they had some pressure on them as the standard blocks did not touch the body alowing the hatch to resonate.

I had a thumping noise that could have been described as a drone on certain surfaces. The fix was to add additional packing to the two rubber blocks midway along the edges of the rear hatch so they had some pressure on them as the standard blocks did not touch the body alowing the hatch to resonate.

He mentioned that he read that somewhere online. Thought it would compromise how the lid seals correctly, and whether the hatch would sit proud of the body

He mentioned that he read that somewhere online. Thought it would compromise how the lid seals correctly, and whether the hatch would sit proud of the body

No issue with seal etc. I used a bit of 5mm adhesive backed felt stuck to the clear plastic that protects the paint. Not much pressure is required and the hatch sits exactly as it did before. It will make a big difference to the ambiance in the cabin. 

Archived