Steering column switch repair

Bluboy007

I repaired my indicator switch on my 81 911SC.  I had a problem where when the lights were on the high beam would come on when the left turn signal cancelled. When faced with the prospect of a couple hunj for a new one, I decided to have a crack at it.  It wasn't all that difficult - about a 5 spanners out of 10 job.  The contacts just needed a tweak. My wipers stop mid way through their journey some times.  I suspect a similar problem with the contacts.

Describe the fault and lets see if the collective can diagnose the problem.

I have a problem with the windscreen washer pump.  If I connect current directly from the battery it works well. I have replaced motor, pipes valves etc and am now thinking its the switch stem, expensive. I have a tip so have 4 stalks. The pump does work when the switch is active  I get 11.5V but seems to low to produce enough pressure.

Its tempting to swap headlight washer cable but would prefer to do the job properly. I was thinking of taking the "clam shell" cover off and trying to squirt some contact cleaner in. Has anyone managed to remove the cover without the airbag and steering wheel?

• 5 years later...
On 30/11/2016 at 08:40, Stew F said:

I repaired my indicator switch on my 81 911SC.  I had a problem where when the lights were on the high beam would come on when the left turn signal cancelled. When faced with the prospect of a couple hunj for a new one, I decided to have a crack at it.  It wasn't all that difficult - about a 5 spanners out of 10 job.  The contacts just needed a tweak. My wipers stop mid way through their journey some times.  I suspect a similar problem with the contacts.

Describe the fault and lets see if the collective can diagnose the problem.

Hi @Stew F - I have both problems with my current SC now (high beam flicking on occasionally when indicators cancelled, and the wipers stopping mid way) . Keen to see what fixed both for you?

8 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I have a new problem where, once activated, the wipers won’t turn off until you kill the ignition and turn car off and on again.  I suspect relay but reading up wiper switch is also suspect?

That doesn't sound fun. Potentially I would think, yeah! 

Well they have been used since 1981 and that's a lot of arc build up.  In other words every time you flick the switch/lever there is a tiny spark at the contacts which burns down the contact and leaves a non conductive deposit.  Much like the points on a car...

I had the problem which I thought was great.  I could stop the wipers in any position I wanted, but no intermittent wipers. I also had the "no windscreen washers" problem too.  So why fix it?  It reached the point that the wipers would no longer work and was doing crazy things.  When did I find out about this?  When it rained and I was 600km from home.  Once home, I pulled the clam shell off, cleaned the contacts , reassembled.  

I also bought a new relay for the wipers, but, for fun, I pulled the old relay apart, cleaned the contacts, reinstalled and it is still in there working fine.

The washers worked, intermittent wipers work and to my disappointment, so did the wiper park function.  It now all works as intended.

ADVICE: It's probably a good idea to disconnect the battery when doing this.

9 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I have a new problem where, once activated, the wipers won’t turn off until you kill the ignition and turn car off and on again.  I suspect relay but reading up wiper switch is also suspect?

That sounds like the contacts are sticking (arcing) together while there is power to the circuit.  Clean and adjust the contacts and see how it goes.

Another tip before you start pulling things apart. I had a problem with my wipers in that they wouldn't return to the park position and occasionally not work at all.

I found that the plug under the dash panel was not fully seated, pulled it out and put it back in and all working as should again. Has been all good since then.

This was on an '87 model, maybe the same for a 993, just look under the dash.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 08:34, dominicxu1 said:

Another tip before you start pulling things apart. I had a problem with my wipers in that they wouldn't return to the park position and occasionally not work at all.

I found that the plug under the dash panel was not fully seated, pulled it out and put it back in and all working as should again. Has been all good since then.

This was on an '87 model, maybe the same for a 993, just look under the dash.

Thanks bud, I have a similar issue so going to give this a go. Any tips on locating which plug in the maze is the wiper plug?