new MACAN 4 cyl entry level under 80K

Niko

Well done Niko and Mrs Niko! I trust it was named for the Japanese girl's name and not the species of sea slug ! Car names can be so cruel!

As long as it gets along a bit quicker than the sea slug version, I'll be happy..

Something weird happens when I try to quote people, I wonder if it is just me...

Thanks Apogee re the cross hairs.   That would be a pissa.   It would only be used on peds with phones up to their ears and wandering out.

The only down side of the CX5 in my opinion is the auto engine stop start.....I hate that function.  

It can be over ridden at the start of each trip, but I would prefer it not to be there at all.   Otherwise I am finding it hard to fault it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only down side of the CX5 in my opinion is the auto engine stop start.....I hate that function.  

Yes, I have than on my SQ5 as well - I was told by the head tech at my Audi dealership that it cannot be defeated because it is now a requirement by law. But some Audi forum members have found a way of defeating it using the VAGCOM diagnostic software. 

• 3 months later...

I was given a Macan 4 cylinder this week as a loaner, here's my observations & thoughts. 

Body - sans any optional body styling or lighting options, its all the same things that you like (or hate) about Macan styling 

Interior - Again the same core vehicle, overall nice design and good quality feel, however coming from a turbo, its undeniably watered down in finishes and options 

The drive - Surprisingly good, pointy end feels a little lighter (maybe it was the smaller rim/tyre combo) adequate for around town commutes, but the low down torque you get in the 3.6 is missing, and when you jump on it, its just not the same.. however as I said more than adequate for general commutes. 

The example I drove was pretty basic, not many options, it did have a panoramic roof.. which is crazy money relative to the cars price. 

There are some options that would make it nicer, a quick play on the confusilator ran up $14k in options, so looking at about $105k for a 4 cyl Macan that I'd be happy to live with! Options include 14 way seats + ventilation, 20" Turbo wheels, BOSE audio, PDLS Xenon, Interior aluminium, Exterior monochrome pack, comfort lighting. 

In summary, I think its a good little thing if that is what you want & you can exercise restraint on the options, the fact you can get into a reasonably equipped Porsche at circa $100k is compelling, as long as you don't want HP and towing capabilities this is! :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Took one for a test drive inn sat. Agree not a bad unit and looks feels a lot like my S. It was for SWLTDF so by the time she ticked the must have option box’s we were in base S territory.  She was also concerned that she was over optioning a povity pack (her words) so I was doing the quick dance of based on that u take mine and I will get a 997.1s 

unfortunately she then drove a GLC 43 and for pretty much $5k extra than the non S Mac with her options it has everything she wants and more.  Looks like we are going to end up with a star in the garage and I don’t get the 911 for a while ?.

the 43 does kick arse, in a more refined way, but I still don’t think it has the rawness and drivability of my Mac S

Archived