new MACAN 4 cyl entry level under 80K

Niko

You could really chuck a serious amount of people and crap in that baby, and it probably wouldn`t weigh much more than a current one that you can`t fit 4 adults and luggage in.

Agree. If they were serious about fuel efficiency they'd make cars lighter i.e. less crap most people never need. If your kids grow like normal humans , by 14 they are complaining bitterly about lack of room in the back. But as parents are now of the helicopter sort , it's important to have 7 seats for "you never know when". 
I do hope the station wagon comes back e.g. Skoda. And Benzes are at least making the effort. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. If they were serious about fuel efficiency they'd make cars lighter i.e. less crap most people never need. If your kids grow like normal humans , by 14 they are complaining bitterly about lack of room in the back. But as parents are now of the helicopter sort , it's important to have 7 seats for "you never know when". I do hope the station wagon comes back e.g. Skoda. And Benzes are at least making the effort. 

A mate of mine recently purchased an Audi SQ5, much the same as Macan i think, drives brilliantly, but for a vehicle that weighs nearly 2000kg it has less room in it than a Golf. I really struggle to see the point.

I thought FolksVagen moved to capped price servicing?   Or are they capped to high...:)

They do - we picked our Alltrack in the December and they brought it in late following January. To be fair - VW honoured it for us, but the costs are still up there. A $500 oil change. 

Car is getting serviced week after next. I'll report back. 

I got in the back of the Macan on a pretty decent test drive a month or two back when we ordered one and thought it had great leg room.  You all must have tall children!

When was the last time you were amongst a group of teenagers? Despite "all the junk food these days" they seem to have easily outgrown their parents!

Really the worst part of the coupe versions of every brand is the poor visibility.

By that, of course you mean they're effing ugly.

I can't believe MB are making them knowing how fugly the X6 is

When was the last time you were amongst a group of teenagers? Despite "all the junk food these days" they seem to have easily outgrown their parents!

My 12 & 13 year old nephews are my height...the tinfoil hat brigade put it down to hormones in beef and chicken.

Look at any SUV and convertible...what a claustrophobic nightmare. It's like driving around in someone's letterbox. Safety safety blah blah - BS , if serious about safety don't make them so powerful , and don't stock them with electronic distractions , ya gormless boffins!

Fortunately my wife doesn't care about what I think.

Cayenne vs Macan

length - 4846 vs 4700

height - 1688 vs 1624

width - 1954 vs 1923

weight - 2160 vs 1925

wheelbase - 2895 vs 2807

payload - 680kg vs 625kg - I find this surprising, so with a car full, 5 average adults does not leave a lot for luggage or for people who may be larger than average!?

I expected more of a difference, but all up the 2 cars are quite similar in size but marketed/ perceived not to be so. The power of perception, visual cues and marketing... :) Only noticeable differences would be the weight, but then again they are both HEAVY!

Cayenne vs Macan

length - 4846 vs 4700

height - 1688 vs 1624

width - 1954 vs 1923

weight - 2160 vs 1925

wheelbase - 2895 vs 2807

payload - 680kg vs 625kg - I find this surprising, so with a car full, 5 average adults does not leave a lot for luggage or for people who may be larger than average!?

I expected more of a difference, but all up the 2 cars are quite similar in size but marketed/ perceived not to be so. The power of perception, visual cues and marketing... :) Only noticeable differences would be the weight, but then again they are both HEAVY!

That all sounds fine on paper stats and absolute dimensions, but it doesn't account for how well the interior spaces are designed and mechanical components are packaged into the car. 

For example, the Macan is about 500 litres of luggage space versus the Cayennes 670 litres that is 34% + more luggage space alone, the Macan luggage is compromised in exchange for leg room in the rear seats, they're quite generous, the roofline tapers however and headroom is compromised for taller adults in the rear. 

Also quite a different technical package between them, Macan is built with the sports car ethos small capacity motor + snappy PDK transmission, where as Cayenne is a luxo barge with large capacity V8 (in most cases unless you opt for 3.0 TDI mill) slush box transmission which shifts smooth and is great for towing shit, the car doesn't lack in sporting capabilities mind you and I have even been around a race track in one, they're quite capable. 

So contrary to the numbers, they are 2 completely different cars (or SUV's if you must) I guess is the main bulletpoint here. 

I was not trying to decipher how the cars drive or interior packaging, just that physical dimensions have them very close, so to choose one over the other based purely on size is not that straight forward..... my perception from seeing them on the road was that they were quite a bit smaller, clever packaging and design makes them appear smaller, pretty much how I see my own ML, appears small but is not.

It makes me wonder if they did not rake the rear of the Macan so much how the 2 (Cayenne) would compare for boot space?

It makes me wonder if they did not rake the rear of the Macan so much how the 2 (Cayenne) would compare for boot space?

I'd check Q5 specs for that, built on the same architecture so should give you a pretty good idea. 

Will Porsche build a ute? Lambo did. Or does Porsche only make sports vehicles with utility features? Imagine if you will a small Porsche Brumby. 

Rivals are stepping up.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/90977/new-mercedes-x-class-signals-birth-of-the-premium-pick-up

That thing is horrendous... Give me this every day of the week -> http://www.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/g-class/G-Class_Professional.html?gclid=CO_l1sKT8NACFQ18vQodK7QGZg#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:G-Class_Professionall?csref=google_sem_G-ClassProfessional 

It's finally here, alas only in ute format for now.. 

Nowadays , everything starts to look like everything else .

That Benz looks a bit like my old Landy. Tough, full of character , harking back to the days when there were real adventurers (not the ones in ute commercials). and men who didn't bother trimming their beards , and sported proper DIY tattoos. Men who sheared real sheep -  now it's apron clad hipsters searing soy marinated chops on the Hibachi on Australia Day, "ute" polished to within an inch of its dandy life on the concrete urban drive. But we are a great one nation, and we shall not be surrounded by Great Walls!

:wub:

https://www.chelseatruckcompany.com/CTC-Stock-Defender-2-2-TDCI-XS-90-Station-Wagon-The-End-Edition.php?t=Defender&i=938

The Cayenne's boot is deceptively small...the wheel arches take up a lot of space.

My bike box fits in the back of my Golf with the seats down but not in my brother's Cayenne

Saw the new LR Discovery on Sunday in St Kilda, LRA hijacked the Canadian Motor Show car on its way there just for day in Sydney & Melbs. 

It's 500kgs lighter than the current model, despite being larger in the body and will be available with a couple of 2 litre Diesel engines as well as the SDV6 & s/cV6 petrol. It's one hell of a car compared to the current one, seriously considering ordering one to replace my RRS as the daily driver. If you're going to have an SUV then may as well have a proper one...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents....and lots  of good info there, DJM.     

We are not looking at a trade up till about June or July next year so lots of time to do some homework.   Definitely check out the Tiguan.

Do yourself a favour & have a look at a Yeti by Skoda, will not carry the street cred, but will match it with the Tiguan & leave more coin in your pocket. My wife loves hers, had it for 4 years now, still under warranty, & it goes like a cut cat in S mode. Diesel gets 4.7lt per 100k. And you can land a helicopter on it.

Thanks Port, I will look at them, I am a fan of the SSShhhhhh I'm going to whisper it...SKODA.

I have had a glance at them, driver ride height is important for the missus and boot/back space is also a priority. 

Might be a tad small for us.   but will definitely give it a look

I have a 6 foot 2 13 year old, my wife is 6 1, I'm 6 2, so he was always going to be tall. You should see him trying to get in the back of the Pcars, it's a hoot. Or it was, only got him in there twice, last time about 4 months ago, don't think there is hope in hell of getting him in there now. That's how fast he is growing.

Archived