new MACAN 4 cyl entry level under 80K

Niko

As of about last year, the Porsche tow pack for the Macan is an OEM deal, before then, it was an aftermarket hack job! My car left the factory with the OEM and it is not simply a tow bar bolted on. Its quite comprehensive and a nice integration, even the lower bar section is different. 

I have seen the Hayman Reese ones added to Macan, quite sure its the Q5 one modded and frankly it looks like a hack job, its only $950 yes, which its cheaper than the Porsche OEM at $2400 but it looks every part of $1450 cheaper or more! 

This is the OEM one with the hitch installed. 

IMG_4414_zpsmznclvka.jpg

This is a Hayman Reese 

151801d1479171451-tow-bar-img_8446.jpg

Decide whats better for yourself I guess? 

As for the PDK's capacity to tow Tazzie, I had that concern too, but it tows absolutely flawless. I've had about 1.8T behind my one, and I just try to exercise some mechanical sympathy with the transmission if its in a scenario where the motor is loaded and may want to swap in and out of gears (i.e. steep hill at 110kph), I will simply manually select the gear I want it to stay in and just coast the throttle.... I don't need to do that, but I feel that is giving the clutches a bit of break, as that is what you will hurt, not the gears them selves. It's a lot like towing with a manual trans car really... you get that sense of solidity in the drivetrain, its up to you to be a gentleman or a bastard to it on gear shifts! :lol: 

I've got a steep driveway too, again, just drive it with some sympathy and leave it in 1st whilst going up slow, there is no lack of torque with the 3.6 powerplant. 

So I really had my preconceptions about dual clutch not being a good transmission to haul with but they were uneducated opinions and unfounded because I hadn't experienced it, now I am wiser, I'd say it may even be better on the smallish (i.e. < 2 T~)  loads. 

If I am ever in a position I need to tow big loads i.e. > 3 T~ Cayenne time. 

More on towing with Macan's. 

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/10799-hauling-with-the-macan-turbo/ 

I'm sorry but that Porsche supplied tow kit (the pic of which you posted above) is made still made by Hayman Reese Australia for Porsche exactly like the Audi Australia one. You still have to cut a hole in the bumper to expose the hitch.

The ones in Europe for Porsche SUVs are made by Westfalia AG. http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/macan/macan/transport/towbar/

This is how it works - https://www.youtube.com/embed/mKOO7ZwhQL0

The reason the local towbars are made by Hayman Reese is because the Westfalia hideaway towbars will not pass our ADR. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but that Porsche supplied tow kit (the pic of which you posted above) is made still made by Hayman Reese Australia for Porsche exactly like the Audi Australia one. You still have to cut a hole in the bumper to expose the hitch.

The ones in Europe for Porsche SUVs are made by Westfalia AG. http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/macan/macan/transport/towbar/

This is how it works - https://www.youtube.com/embed/mKOO7ZwhQL0

The reason the local towbars are made by Hayman Reese is because the Westfalia hideaway towbars will not pass our ADR. 

I don't know who's giving your information but I'm sorry, but you are wrong, it isn't Hayman Reese. 

As I said, they "used" to hack in the Hayman Reese from a Q5, no way I'd pay for that, they came out with this OEM one about early last year, appears to use components from Oris & Westfalia. 

This is under my 2017, which you are telling me is from Hayman Reese, which it isnt, nor is the bar cut like you are suggesting. The lower black plastic section is a different mould, you will note the tow bar relief is molded in and there is a scallop in the line above the tow bar and below number plate. 

IMG_5164_zpsqsduo85i.jpg

IMG_5163_zps86ns9oqc.jpg

IMG_5162_zpspg3xrpc6.jpg

I don't know who's giving your information but I'm sorry, but you are wrong, it isn't Hayman Reese. 

As I said, they "used" to hack in the Hayman Reese from a Q5, no way I'd pay for that, they came out with this OEM one about early last year, appears to use components from Oris & Westfalia. 

This is under my 2017, which you are telling me is from Hayman Reese, which it isnt, nor is the bar cut like you are suggesting. The lower black plastic section is a different mould, you will note the tow bar relief is molded in and there is a scallop in the line above the tow bar and below number plate. 

IMG_5164_zpsqsduo85i.jpg

IMG_5163_zps86ns9oqc.jpg

IMG_5162_zpspg3xrpc6.jpg

Well I'll be...it appears that the US has the same towbar kit as Oz while the UK and Europe have the hidden towbar setup.

• 2 weeks later...

To close my contribution , I've ordered a petrol GLC 250 Benz. The size is "just right" , will put a towbar on and hopefully there won't be too many in the special option diamond white pearl metallic paint. Sorry to the Audi and BMW fans , but I'm a Merc sort of guy - and my wife loves it.

I will however keep recommending Porsches to my friends who need good reliable SUVs!

Q is , wither diesel cars? I'm glad to go back to petrol.

To close my contribution , I've ordered a petrol GLC 250 Benz. The size is "just right" , will put a towbar on and hopefully there won't be too many in the special option diamond white pearl metallic paint. Sorry to the Audi and BMW fans , but I'm a Merc sort of guy - and my wife loves it.

I will however keep recommending Porsches to my friends who need good reliable SUVs!

You really have taken the Mercedes brand to heart of late :D

Well done and looking forward to some pics in the Mercedes thread when you take delivery!

Congrats, as I said, I think its a great looking car and a good package! 

How long to build/deliver to you? 

Congrats, as I said, I think its a great looking car and a good package! 

How long to build/deliver to you? 

4 months. And yesterday my daughter in law bought a ML320, bit of a step up from the '91 Laser she's dutifully driven for 6 years!

• 3 weeks later...

If you must have a 4 cyl SUV, buy Tiguan 162 TSi Highline R Line for $54k.  Effectively a Golf GTi on stilts.  Go to the Porsche dealer with the same spec (below) and your 4 cyl Macan will crack $100k easily I reckon.  I reckon you'd come close to 1 Macan for 2 Tiguans.....?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/481445/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-review/.

Highline 162TSI seven-speed DSG $48,490

Tiguan Highline (140TDI DSG and 162TSI DSG) additions:
LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights
18-inch alloy wheels
Keyless access
Electronically-operated tailgate with Easy Open and Close
8.0-inch Discover Pro satellite-navigation system
Vienna leather-appointed upholstery
Heated comfort sport front seats
Electronically-adjustable driver’s seat
Interior ambient lighting and LED reading lights
Power folding door mirrors
Steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles
Dark tinted rear side and rear windows
Premium LED tail lights
Chrome strip in the front lower air intake

Driver Assistance package (Comfortline $2250 and Highline $2000)
Adaptive cruise control, Side Assist with Rear Traffic Alert, Active Info display, power folding door mirrors and area view.

R-Line Package (Highline $4000)
R-Line body kit, R-Line interior, 20-inch alloy wheels, adaptive chassis control and progressive steering.

162kW/1600kg vs 185kW/1800kg.  0-100?  6.7 seconds for both.  So much for Porsche being the performance icon of the group.  Both are 4 cyl SUVs so I doubt I'd want either but it's hard to see value in Macan.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Tiguan has more space - Macan rear seat is tight.  I assume Tiguan is MQB transverse engine front drive biased vs MLB longitudinal engine rear drive biased so Macan is no doubt the sportier choice but both are SUVs not sports cars and I wonder if the difference is that significant (like $50k significant).

When considering Macan, crap base spec and crazy options pricing did my head in.  Try $1,600 for keyless start (otherwise keys dangle on my knee) when that is standard is every cheap arse econobox on the market.  I bought a loaded demo Q7 for way less than a similar spec diesel Macan.  Yeah its a bland bus but  I just couldn't come at Macan pricing.

As always, plenty of people will pay a hefty premium for that badge and the Macan style....Porsche will no doubt get away with their pricing and make an absolute killing.  Good if you can get it, we'd all like a business like that!

Getting a bit closer to our purchase, and just had a good look around one of these Tiguan's.   I like them a lot.

Only down side is service costs, 3 year warranty and PULP.

The 162TSI with Driver Assist package and the Panoramic Sunroof, look the go at this stage.

Not sure about the R Line package....

quoted $58,890 Drive away....

I'm going for a drive in a 132 TSI comfortline on Saturday morning.

There is a 162 TSI highline arriving in a couple of weeks, to take for a drive.

I think this is at the top of the list at the moment....

Mrs Niko is taking some convincing though, she is in love with the KIA SPORTAGE.....:(

Getting a bit closer to our purchase, and just had a good look around one of these Tiguan's.   I like them a lot.

The 162TSI with Driver Assist package and the Panoramic Sunroof, look the go at this stage.

Mrs Niko is taking some convincing though, she is in love with the KIA SPORTAGE.....:(

If you or your wife works for a large corporate company, ask them if your company is on their corporate program - usually means you get 3 years free servicing.

Check out the Q5 that is currently on run out - slightly larger vehicle with more boot space, you should be able to get one with the same spec for around the same price as the Tiguan.

Mrs Niko is taking some convincing though, she is in love with the KIA SPORTAGE...

Speaking from experience, and having also witnessed it a number of times DO NOT TALK MR.S NIKO INTO A CAR YOU WANT OVER THE CAR SHE WANTS. You will regret it.

If you or your wife works for a large corporate company, ask them if your company is on their corporate program - usually means you get 3 years free servicing.

Check out the Q5 that is currently on run out - slightly larger vehicle with more boot space, you should be able to get one with the same spec for around the same price as the Tiguan.

Unfortunately best we can do, will be crawling in on our hands and knees and asking for a retired old farts discount.

Re the Q5, unfortunately I got bitten badly by a beemer many years ago and swore I would never ever own one again.

Just like JETSTAR stuffed me up well and truly 10 years ago, said I would never use them again, and have stuck to my word. (Sorry Mark not personal)

Speaking from experience, and having also witnessed it a number of times DO NOT TALK MR.S NIKO INTO A CAR YOU WANT OVER THE CAR SHE WANTS. You will regret it.

Yep wise words Steve, she came with me today to sit in one and I pointed out the good quality, etc etc etc, mentioned the 3 year only warranty, PULP and the Service costs and she immediately balked.    So I do have an uphill battle.   Considering she will be driving it 90% of the time I will have to tread carefully.... 

Unfortunately best we can do, will be crawling in on our hands and knees and asking for a retired old farts discount.

Re the Q5, unfortunately I got bitten badly by a beemer many years ago and swore I would never ever own one again.

Just like JETSTAR stuffed me up well and truly 10 years ago, said I would never use them again, and have stuck to my word. (Sorry Mark not personal)

But the Q5 is an Audi not a Beemer - Audi is the sister company to VW. The Q5 and Macan are the same car with different body shells. 

If one of your kids is working for a large company, bring them along. All the dealer needs is a letter from the employer stating that they work for the company. It doesn't have to be the person actually paying for the car.  There are more ways than one to skin a cat. 

But the Q5 is an Audi not a Beemer - Audi is the sister company to VW. The Q5 and Macan are the same car with different body shells. 

If one of your kids is working for a large company, bring them along. All the dealer needs is a letter from the employer stating that they work for the company. It doesn't have to be the person actually paying for the car.  There are more ways than one to skin a cat. 

Oh an Audi, there you go....that's why I'm a retired old fart.

I will google one up and have a looksee....

STOP PRESS.....just had a look I think for what we will be using it for it is probably out of the price range, 70K or thereabouts at a quick look.

Plus.... if it is built on the MACAN chassis, the cargo space won't be enough for our little grey nomad road trips..

Thanks for the tip re the letter, I will keep it in mind also.  

Oh an Audi, there you go....that's why I'm a retired old fart.

I will google one up and have a looksee....

STOP PRESS.....just had a look I think for what we will be using it for it is probably out of the price range, 70K or thereabouts at a quick look.

Plus.... if it is built on the MACAN chassis, the cargo space won't be enough for our little grey nomad road trips..

Thanks for the tip re the letter, I will keep it in mind also.  

I crossed shopped the Tiguan and SQ5 (which we ultimately bought - the Sports version of the Q5) and the Q5 has a larger boot area than the Tiguan (the Tiguan is shorter and is actually more a Q3 equivalent) and Macan (due to it's sloping roof line). You can also move the rear seats forward in the Q5 to increase it slightly or fold them forward for even more space.

The Q5 is currently on run out as the new 2017 model is just out so you will get a deal on the 2016 models that are currently in stock at the moment (and dealers are keen to move them). The new model Q5s will be north of $70K but I am not referring to those. You should be able to get a base Q5 for close to the Tiguan's pricing. 

So my bro in law took delivery of the 4 cylinder Macan last weekend. Had a drive few days ago and was pleasantly surprised. It's got pretty good pick up and definitely feels zipper than the V6 but going up the hills you can definitely tell the difference torque wise. Only complaint with the 4 cylinder is that it tends to over rev quite a fair but when you push it.

Handles a lot better than most SUVs ive driven as well without being overly firm (like the F Pace) 

I have found a problem with my GTS. I think there is a hole in the fuel tank given the frequent visits to the petrol station. Either that or having a bright red, PSE equiped two tonne "sports" car with a lead foot wife. I can't find any fuel puddles in the garage. Hmmmmmm.  

Maybe 4 cyl would have been smarter. 

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested, and also the ones that I have driven crazy about what I was going to buy for Mrs Niko.

After doing spreadsheets and comparisons....and confusing myself even more...

Then  a few of us elitists were having a pizza last Wednesday night

(FIRESTONE in Malvern, greatest  Pizzas in Melb, and Craft Beers, and owned by Kevin another Forum member)

and Chris (GT4) threw a spanner in the works, by suggesting I should look at the new CX5 before making a decision.

After a test drive, and with Mrs Niko actually liking this one, and even taking it for a test drive, we had a chat with the nice salesman.

Negotiations conducted by my Mrs Niko and said salesman (I'm hopeless at asking for stuff and getting the right price)

An offer was put on the table....

We are now awaiting the arrival of our new CX5 Diesel Akera, in deep crystal blue Mica with black interior.

Thanks for the suggestions and assistance of everyone who contributed into my saga....

Well done Niko, great cars we have one also. Thanks for the shout out for Firestone. 

Pity we didn't get a chance to talk more about the purchase our friend is the GM of a very large Mazda dealership. Trust you were well looked after at the dealership you purchased at, enjoy the car.

Thanks mate, yes it was impressive, all the safety features and the head up display won me.

i think we got a fair deal.   

This is the 5th new Mazda we have purchased from this dealership.

thanks for the vote of confidence in our choice.

Thanks mate, yes it was impressive, all the safety features and the head up display won me.

i think we got a fair deal.   

This is the 5th new Mazda we have purchased from this dealership.

thanks for the vote of confidence in our choice.

I hear you can get an app that changes the HUD to display gun sight cross hairs... :)  You'll be painting the number of pedestrian kills on your drivers side door in no time... 

Archived