new MACAN 4 cyl entry level under 80K

Niko

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little surprised its making its way here, but at the same time they are bound to cannibalise some Audi Q5 sales. 

In a smart build, it is a good option for those that like everything about the Macan but don't need mega performance or HP. 

I can't help but see these resale in the worst kind of way in the future, because it's not hard to over capitalise on options in the lower spec cars! 

Just remember the options list... 

tumblr_inline_nzfevykxev1rg0x34_500.jpg

Will no doubt be the volume seller, 6.7 to 100 is not exactly hanging around... especially for an SUV!!

One for you and Mrs Niko to consider.... :)

Better looking than that lexus thingy :P

Hmmmm....or that or the Lexus NX200t........

Will no doubt be the volume seller, 6.7 to 100 is not exactly hanging around... especially for an SUV!!

One for you and Mrs Niko to consider.... :)

Better looking than that lexus thingy :P

just read you comment after I posted.....

And I am leaning that way.....But I will have to check out the storage space in the rear...

Recently swapped a MB A250 for a Macan S - no issues with the MB and the GLC wasn't on the radar when the Macan was ordered.

I'm biased to Pcars but couldn't be happier with the buying/ownership experience of the Macan. To the base car we added sunroof and extra cameras and so far there's nothing wanting. The car is petrol for the extra kw and clean filling, it will be a low km town car. Thought it must be the cheapest Pcar available, but a 4 cyl version will make these cars even more accessible.

Hmmmm....or that or the Lexus NX200t........

just read you comment after I posted.....

And I am leaning that way.....But I will have to check out the storage space in the rear...

There is FA space in the rear - less than even a Golf. 

If you must have a 4 cyl SUV, buy Tiguan 162 TSi Highline R Line for $54k.  Effectively a Golf GTi on stilts.  Go to the Porsche dealer with the same spec (below) and your 4 cyl Macan will crack $100k easily I reckon.  I reckon you'd come close to 1 Macan for 2 Tiguans.....?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/481445/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-review/.

Highline 162TSI seven-speed DSG $48,490

Tiguan Highline (140TDI DSG and 162TSI DSG) additions:
LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights
18-inch alloy wheels
Keyless access
Electronically-operated tailgate with Easy Open and Close
8.0-inch Discover Pro satellite-navigation system
Vienna leather-appointed upholstery
Heated comfort sport front seats
Electronically-adjustable driver’s seat
Interior ambient lighting and LED reading lights
Power folding door mirrors
Steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles
Dark tinted rear side and rear windows
Premium LED tail lights
Chrome strip in the front lower air intake

Driver Assistance package (Comfortline $2250 and Highline $2000)
Adaptive cruise control, Side Assist with Rear Traffic Alert, Active Info display, power folding door mirrors and area view.

R-Line Package (Highline $4000)
R-Line body kit, R-Line interior, 20-inch alloy wheels, adaptive chassis control and progressive steering.

162kW/1600kg vs 185kW/1800kg.  0-100?  6.7 seconds for both.  So much for Porsche being the performance icon of the group.  Both are 4 cyl SUVs so I doubt I'd want either but it's hard to see value in Macan.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Tiguan has more space - Macan rear seat is tight.  I assume Tiguan is MQB transverse engine front drive biased vs MLB longitudinal engine rear drive biased so Macan is no doubt the sportier choice but both are SUVs not sports cars and I wonder if the difference is that significant (like $50k significant).

When considering Macan, crap base spec and crazy options pricing did my head in.  Try $1,600 for keyless start (otherwise keys dangle on my knee) when that is standard is every cheap arse econobox on the market.  I bought a loaded demo Q7 for way less than a similar spec diesel Macan.  Yeah its a bland bus but  I just couldn't come at Macan pricing.

As always, plenty of people will pay a hefty premium for that badge and the Macan style....Porsche will no doubt get away with their pricing and make an absolute killing.  Good if you can get it, we'd all like a business like that!

Thanks gents....and lots  of good info there, DJM.     

We are not looking at a trade up till about June or July next year so lots of time to do some homework.   Definitely check out the Tiguan.

Do you need to buy new Niko or could a good low km late model suffice (maybe a demo?) - say a low km Cayenne or ML or X5 or similar. Or too big for you?

thanks ANF but we are looking at the same size or as close to the  (now redundant) Mazda CX-7 we have now.   It is perfect for us.   Cayennes and similar are too big, for the missus.   

Not a Merc or Beemer fan at all.

I have just read the report on the Tiguans that DJM posted, they sound impressive and have greatly improved their luggage area, which is a big plus for us.  Have to check one out but looks like it will also go in the mix.

Choice would have been easy if MAZDA had have kept the CX7 in their line up.

If you must have a 4 cyl SUV, buy Tiguan 162 TSi Highline R Line for $54k.  Effectively a Golf GTi on stilts.  Go to the Porsche dealer with the same spec (below) and your 4 cyl Macan will crack $100k easily I reckon.  I reckon you'd come close to 1 Macan for 2 Tiguans.....?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/481445/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-review/.

Highline 162TSI seven-speed DSG $48,490

Tiguan Highline (140TDI DSG and 162TSI DSG) additions:
LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights
18-inch alloy wheels
Keyless access
Electronically-operated tailgate with Easy Open and Close
8.0-inch Discover Pro satellite-navigation system
Vienna leather-appointed upholstery
Heated comfort sport front seats
Electronically-adjustable driver’s seat
Interior ambient lighting and LED reading lights
Power folding door mirrors
Steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles
Dark tinted rear side and rear windows
Premium LED tail lights
Chrome strip in the front lower air intake

Driver Assistance package (Comfortline $2250 and Highline $2000)
Adaptive cruise control, Side Assist with Rear Traffic Alert, Active Info display, power folding door mirrors and area view.

R-Line Package (Highline $4000)
R-Line body kit, R-Line interior, 20-inch alloy wheels, adaptive chassis control and progressive steering.

162kW/1600kg vs 185kW/1800kg.  0-100?  6.7 seconds for both.  So much for Porsche being the performance icon of the group.  Both are 4 cyl SUVs so I doubt I'd want either but it's hard to see value in Macan.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Tiguan has more space - Macan rear seat is tight.  I assume Tiguan is MQB transverse engine front drive biased vs MLB longitudinal engine rear drive biased so Macan is no doubt the sportier choice but both are SUVs not sports cars and I wonder if the difference is that significant (like $50k significant).

When considering Macan, crap base spec and crazy options pricing did my head in.  Try $1,600 for keyless start (otherwise keys dangle on my knee) when that is standard is every cheap arse econobox on the market.  I bought a loaded demo Q7 for way less than a similar spec diesel Macan.  Yeah its a bland bus but  I just couldn't come at Macan pricing.

As always, plenty of people will pay a hefty premium for that badge and the Macan style....Porsche will no doubt get away with their pricing and make an absolute killing.  Good if you can get it, we'd all like a business like that!

Tiguan is not really a direct comparison because it's a small SUV unlike the Macan & Q5 being mid sized. Better value than high spec Q3 no doubt. 

I did stress over the cost of the dammed thing right up to the point I was handed the keys, since then it's no looking back. I don't regret it for a minute and it's worth every penny! I did however chose the higher grade car with low options. Actually there are plenty of instances I'll talk myself out of driving the GT3 because I can't be assed dealing with its attitude problem! 

If you must have a 4 cyl SUV, buy Tiguan 162 TSi Highline R Line for $54k.  Effectively a Golf GTi on stilts. Go to the Porsche dealer with the same spec (below) and your 4 cyl Macan will crack $100k easily I reckon. I reckon you'd come close to 1 Macan for 2 Tiguans.....?

I wish we could have held out another year and waited for the Tig for Mrs JV. We ended up with a CX5 Akera, and while it's a lovely car, the Tig is just a tad better in all departments, and has addressed the 2 main faults from the previous model i.e. boot space and styling. The 162 will have heaps of grunt too.

Mind you it's the best part of $65k with on roads and a couple of options compared to $45k for the Mazda with all the bells and whistles. 

So that or the MB GLC?

Great looking car. Never driven one though.

Will be seriously looking in 6 months. 

Likewise. Wife wants a new car next year and this would tick all of her boxes even in standard spec with no options - she even wants a white car. Std power is more than ample for what she does

A 2lt 4cyl VW powered Porsche... I think they've played that trick on us once before.... It's a 924 SUV!

A 2lt 4cyl VW powered AUDI PLATFORM Porsche - its a 924 love fest

Likewise. Wife wants a new car next year and this would tick all of her boxes even in standard spec with no options - she even wants a white car. Std power is more than ample for what she does

You need a faster wife.

The fsaster your wife,  the smaller your spending money. And most wives choose cars on boot space , ability to carry >2 people (incl other people's kids with sports equipment) and colour. But for those in dink mode , you may as well have your fun until 2.4 kids hit the fan.

Being very superficial , I prefer the GLC over the uglier Macan.

In the scissors paper rock game of compare the cars , how would this stack up vs Macan turbo?

It's a Mercedes so would never be considered an equal to a Porsche..... ;)

On paper looks extremely close, and is $30k cheaper.... that would do me :)

GLC43 looks the business.  Until the 63 arrives.

Sadly I think the 63 is gone from Mercedes :( the new E class AMG is a 43 as well......

Archived