Cayenne coupe?

tazzieman

Having 4 SUV's over the past 6 years I just cannot warm to the coupe versions just don't get the practicality. Big car which you would buy to comfortably carry 4 adults/older children and then have a receding roof line in the rear passenger area reducing head clearance. My Macan suffers this a little due to dipping roofline however it wasn't purchased to carry 4 adult passengers. But the X6 and GLE coupes seem to have fans as I see them around regularly, Rach to their own.

The Panamera will be made into a coupe, but it will have nothing in common with our beloved 928. It will make our 928s seem small and light and most importantly will not have a transaxle...

The 928 is gone :(

The Panamera will be made into a coupe, but it will have nothing in common with our beloved 928. It will make our 928s seem small and light and most importantly will not have a transaxle...

The 928 is gone :(

Well not exactly, but businessmen are so large these days they wouldn't fit into the rear of a 928,  as they used to be able to do.

25ffae8bb20afec1061a9a0ba0ef653a_screen2

Maybe change thread title as there is more Panamera/ 928 coupe talk inn here :P

and I will add to it... http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsche-rethinks-small-sedan-puts-panamera-based-928-coupe-on-hold/'

apparently not a new Porsche coupe but a Bentley in disguise..... "The Panamera Coupe, aka the 928, is in limbo. Sources say the idea has been reviewed at the highest level within Porsche, but it now seems highly unlikely the project will be given the green light because of fears a re-incarnated 928 could cannibalize Bentley Continental GT sales."

What ever happens I doubt it will have enough 928 "links" to deserve the badge!

...when they were 3 years old.

Well Helmuth Bott , the so called spiritual father of the 911,  partook of 900km of back seat 928 driving during the test/release period. He was no small chap!

But Porsche were keen to point out they were not building a sedan. Oh the horrors! Helmuth must be a-spinning now!

Um, perhaps pointing out the bleedin' obvious here, but that vehicle has four doors, not two.

Whatever it is, it isn't a coupe.

Technically correct. The term coupe originally referred to a 2 door version of a 4 door sedan, so not many today deserve its true definition. However some years ago car makers started to refer to 4 door sedans that had a sporty/ "coupe like" roofline as coupes - Mercedes CLS, and it just grew from there. Now any car that they want to be seen as "sporty" gets the coupe title and the world has largely accepted it..... :wacko:

I always thought a car was a coupe when it limited rear volume regardless of number of doors - usually due to a swept boot/hatch/rear roof from B pillar back.  I'm sure there's a technical measurement floating around somewhere. 

Every definition that I have come across describes it as a 2 door based on a shortened 4 door sedan.

"The International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defines a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows"

Now define a "GT car"!

Too easy :)

"A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement."

At least that is what it is supposed to be.....

I often think that the modern Porsche performance 911s being called "GT" (GT2, GT3...) cars is a bit odd.......

I agree - it seems every proper definition is based on that ISO from 1977.  However there are lots of debates on it online saying its to do with non-supporting C pillars, frameless windows, general 'sweepiness', or if the manufacturer calls it a coupe.  Let's not get started on the English vs American pronunciation...

Back to these SUV Coupe(y) things - I don't know what to call them and they seem incredibly impractical - but for some reason I really like the look of them!

Now define a "GT car"!

How this for some logic?

718 / 911 T (Touring) Formerly known as the base model
718 / 911 S (Sport) Similar to existing GTS spec
718 / 911 R (Race) Formerly GT spec with only RS variant. Scrapping the standard 3 & 2 models
718 / 911 P (Pure) Purist version. as per current 911r

Then apply the 4, targa, & cab to the T & S models.

Archived