Tire Pressure Gauge recommendations

Jason E

Hello All,

Just chasing any recommendations re brands of good quality, accurate tire pressure gauges that are small enough to sit in the glove box/ tool kit in the car.  I like the sound of a small hand held digital jobbie (if they aren't rubbish).  

All advice gratefully accepted.

cheers,

Jason 

Here's a good guide. Accuracy would be the important factor I would imagine.

http://www.haigh.com.au/images/PDFs/Choice_Tyre_Gauge.pdf

Tests like this while helpfull to understand how they handle etc are a complete waste of space when it comes to accuracy. Testing an individual gauge tells you nothing about the accuracy of other gauges of the same part number. All the test shows is that they were lucky or unlucky with the individual gauge they purchased.

The best gude to accuracy is the manufactures specification as all units should fall withing this range. Some will read low and some will read high and a few will be spot on. When no accuracy specification is quoted you can take it to mean that if it was quoted no one would buy it. Also the accurace can vary considerably with the temperature of the gauge itself.

While a bit big and heavy the best I have seen at an auto shop lately is a Michelin.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Michelin-Tyre-Gauge-Digital-Programmable/405590

Spec is +-1%, +-0.1psi. It reads to 0.1psi. 

I have one and it compares very well to my industrial grade pressure sensors for accuracy and has good repeatability.

hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I'm old school

Quality Michelin analogue gauges are still used by some racing teams, and even Michelin tyre technicians

+1

I almost cried when I dropped my old Michelin gauge and it broke, lovely things. Have an Intercomp now but still miss the Michelin 

+1

I almost cried when I dropped my old Michelin gauge and it broke, lovely things. Have an Intercomp now but still miss the Michelin 

Some A hole stole mine out of my van in between races. And the Michelin hand pump. Grrrrrr! 

Some A hole stole mine out of my van in between races. And the Michelin hand pump. Grrrrrr! 

That sucks, A mans tools are (used to be at least) sacred and guys used to help each other out in the back paddock not steal their stuff. I feel your pain ?

Archived