2017 Alpine A110 officially revealed

It looks alright to me. But I hope the build quality is better than their current cars. But I don't think they will be. A mate had a Clio Trophy that had all sorts of gremlins (like the A-pillar that was not spot welded together) and I took a dealer demo for a test drive which was flooded in the back due to a rubber seal not working in the back window.

My mechanic told me not to bring him any French cars. He refuses to work on them.

Its rare that any non Porsche model catches my eye. Spec to me sounds good. Especially the weight. Will admit it would have to be pretty special to pry me away from my Porsche.

I shall watch it closely with interest, yet after just seeing Apogees post, I think I've already ruled it out!

This is what Renault should bring in. Megane Trophy V6. https://goo.gl/images/CCkn9J

Still, the Alpine is a nice looking car. Would look great in liquid yellow.

I've had my gen 3 Megane RenaultSport for just over a year now. I'm really happy with it. Had no problems at all, apart from it using petrol and needing a service. Having worked in the auto industry, I see the design and fit and finish quite good. Apart from the useless cup holder thats tucked away in the front of the console.

The aesthetics of modern cars are compromised by the grille and wheels overwhelming & distracting from the overall body contour. I understand why they do this , but it spoils the look. 

Porsche design rule back in the day was "no radiator grille in our sports cars". Ah well can't turn back the clock......oh but electric cars you say...they may well start to look good again , but will always sound like shite!

The aesthetics of modern cars are compromised by the grille and wheels overwhelming & distracting from the overall body contour. I understand why they do this , but it spoils the look. 

I was having this conversation yesterday with another designer who's also worked in the auto industry.  The main example we discussed was the Audi when they introduced their revised grille. It worked really well for them.  It's all about brand identity, with the grille now being the dominant and recognisable feature.  Or in the case of Ford of recent, brand identity crisis, with it's Aston Martin styling in the grille.

change to the Audi corporate image when they introduced their revised grille styling. It's all about brand identity, with the grille being the dominant feature. 

What word would you describe for that grille? Certainly not beautiful , stylish or appealing . 

Urban outlaw,  urban manager ?

Here's one ; "Fugly"

They should have stuck with the upsidedown fanny

1939-auto-union-type-d-twin-supercharger

pretty accurate. Audi say "a look of tension and power, eminating strength".

The look often belies what sits within ;) Anyhow , it's marginally less fugly than a Lexus which looks like the love child of a group session of Audi , Ford and Toyota.

At least Maserati still does stylish..

But back to the Renault. I like it , good on them - they will sell a bunch to happy Frenchies not concerned with power or tension - but probably not many to Germans.

The original A110 is probably the only car that I would swap my Porsche for, if the right one came up. I love them and they are sublime to drive. This modern version looks the part, but what made the original was the way it drove and that is going to be the biggest challenge for Renault. It mustn't feel like a Renault in any way, need to have Lotus like handling with performance to match. If they pull all of that off, I might just want one, but in this day of accountants running car manufacturers, I expect it will be a skin deep exploitation of a great name.

Archived