Porsche 911 to get mid-engined version and major design change

K911

Intriguing.. Spy pics of 992 don't look too different either so perhaps the engine change is they major play for this new series.  991.2 being "last off" manual, naturally aspirated and rear engine...  Might have to bubble wrap it at this rate ! :)

They are trying to kill off the 911? How dare they, they never tried this before. Purists up in arms!

Fake news , surely?

It's not fake it's "alternative news" :P

What's the larger negative, aircooled to watercooled 911, or rear engine to mid engine 911?

Water to air is natural progression nothing bad (actually they are both cooled by air technically..... -_-)

Mid engine, is it still a 911? Is 356 no. 1 still a 356? Is the 911 GT1 still a 911? If the ethos and design largely stay the same, is it..... It would be foolish for Porsche to kill the name and the legend.....

Yes I think for all the reasons they went to water (Company almost went to water without it) it was long overdue, although the romance would have been to stay aircooled. I've come to think that small incremental major changes like moving the engine forward (to what Pcars is a midmount but to exotic Italian cars would barely be a midmount) is just fundamental progression and Porsche out of all the manufacturers hold off on these things as long as they can re tradition. the 911 has become rather "hunchbacked", maybe the rear roofline / engine lid profile would become more streamlined. They can't get rid of the back seats of course for the usual road cars but for all the "GT" roadcars and race cars and limited special roadcars (ala retro models), back seats would be gone. 

well the Carrera GT and the 918 are mid engined and seem to be doing pretty well for them selves... i welcome the change..

But i bet the petrol engine is still rear mounted the and the electic motor is mid mounted.. if not it will be the other way around so. Hyrid coming to the 911...

I'm not cool with it. It's going to dilute their other mid-engine brand - the distinction between boxster/cayman and 911 is going to be even narrower. Secondly they should just make a new model and retire the 911 as a classic. You want a 911? The engine is in the rear.

The new Ruf will be more 911 than the new 911.

Archived