UK Cat D 3.2 Carrera

So I am off to the UK next week and have been keeping my eye out for any opportunities in the Porsche world and I might have found one. It is what is known in the UK as a category D write off, which is a car that can be repaired for less than it's market value but which the insurance company has chosen to write off. So I have found a a very nice 3.2 Cat D which has been rebuilt by somebody I know and has lots of work done, including all the rust sorted and a complete paint job. I am confident it is a good car. 

As far as I can see, because it is road registered in the UK, I can bring it into Oz and also, as far as I can see, there is no mechanism by which it would be recorded as a repairable write off here.

On one hand it feels wrong, but there really isn't anything wrong with this car so it's not like I am trying to import a dodgy car. I could get it on the road here for $60K.

Thoughts......

If its repairs are all well documented, and you think its a good car, I say have a crack at it. I know you would have crunched the numbers well. ;) 

I'm not sure how long DOTARS wants to give import approvals these days, but I would ensure you do not ship it prior to getting an import approval! Which if its an 88 or older, you should breeze right through. 

WOVR is a national database only, so you should not have a problem at all. 

so you want to do it as a private (yellow plate) import for compliance purposes?

you need to prove you have owned & used it in the uk for over a year to bring it in.

This is incorrect. The car was built before 1989.

Back when I brought my cars over (2011) you couldn't get an import permit for a car that had previously been written off, even though it's only a CatD. Check that out before you go spending your money.

Back when I brought my cars over (2011) you couldn't get an import permit for a car that had previously been written off, even though it's only a CatD. Check that out before you go spending your money.

Thanks, Mike. i have been looking and I can't find anything. Maybe this is one of the differences between Victoria and NSW, but I need to check it for all markets in case it stops me selling.

Thanks, Mike. i have been looking and I can't find anything. Maybe this is one of the differences between Victoria and NSW, but I need to check it for all markets in case it stops me selling.

So you are buying it purely to sell and make some coin?

do it.

Just spoke to Roads and Maritime NSW. It seems so long as it is registered in the UK, it can be registered here. Now I really need to do my due diligence! After all I have said, I would look a right dick if I imported a pile of rust, but as all the body restoration was done by somebody i know well, once I have some proper information and confirmation of facts, I should be able to make a call to check it out. 

Not sure what the wife is going to say......:ph34r:

Not sure what the wife is going to say......:ph34r:

She is going to say "you used to have an RS dear" so you're worth it! 

Please call DOTARS too mate, as they are the judge jury and executioners! It won't set foot on Aussie soil without their blessing.  

I'm quite surprised at that, it was clear at the time that any car registered as a write off couldn't be imported. DOTARS needed a copy of the V5 document and of course on that is stamped the write off status. 

Be very wary is my advice. See if you can apply for the import permit before fully owning it.

No, I am looking at how to reduce the amount of money I have tied up in my Porsche so I can become even less precious about it!

Understandable, admirable even, but beware the stigma of the repaired write off if/when you decide to sell.

Even though this car will likely not be the WOVR, it may was well be given this (public) thread.  The quality of the repairs is meaningless in my experience.

Understandable, admirable even, but beware the stigma of the repaired write off if/when you decide to sell.

Even though this car will likely not be the WOVR, it may was well be given this (public) thread.  The quality of the repairs is meaningless in my experience.

Good point of discussion. 

What do we think a fair concession is for a WOVR car? 

Also, do we think a WOVR car that has been fully documented and repaired correctly is worth more than one than isn't? Or is it simply more saleable with the WOVR concession? 

Also, do we think a WOVR car that has been fully documented and repaired correctly is worth more than one than isn't? Or is it simply more saleable with the WOVR concession? 

They seem to take a big hit price wise.  I know I'm always banging on about buyer's profiles, but a lot of (most?) folk simply hang up the phone when they hear those 2 little words - Write Off.  The quality of the repairs doesn't seem to enter into it.  The only lever than can be pulled is price.

Perception is Reality...

They seem to take a big hit price wise.  I know I'm always banging on about buyer's profiles, but a lot of (most?) folk simply hang up the phone when they hear those 2 little words - Write Off.  The quality of the repairs doesn't seem to enter into it.  The only lever than can be pulled is price.

Perception is Reality...

Agree, its a very narrow pool of buyers that are willing to entertain the purchase. 

For me, if its the right car (and a unique or rare one) and I do my research on the damage report, it may be an opportunity to get into something that would otherwise command a substantial premium, and could be enjoyed guilt free... like Simon intends! 

Right now I am racing my 1 owner, 1 of 2, lowish mile car... :lol: 

The issue for me is simple. The value has nothing to do with the damage and everything to do with it being on the register. Take 2 cars with identical damage, both properly repaired. One is on the WOVR and the other isn't and let's assume the owner of the "clean" car declared it has been repaired. I would suggest the car on the WOVR is worth far less than the car that isn't, even though there is no difference between them. Therefore the problem isn't the damage that has been repaired. It is the entry on the WOVR.

In the case of the car I am looking at, it will never appear on the WOVR. Now, I am not saying I wouldn't disclose its history, but I would be honest in saying the vehicle was not on the WOVR. 

As an aside, the UK system is rather different from over here, with there being 4 categories of write offs. With Cat A, the whole car must be crushed and you cannot salvage any parts. Cat B requires the shell to be crushed but you can salvage parts. Cat C is repairable but the repairs would cost more than the car is worth. Cat D is where the car can be repaired for less than it is worth. You are allowed to repair Cat C and D.

The issue for me is simple. The value has nothing to do with the damage and everything to do with it being on the register. Take 2 cars with identical damage, both properly repaired. One is on the WOVR and the other isn't and let's assume the owner of the "clean" car declared it has been repaired. I would suggest the car on the WOVR is worth far less than the car that isn't, even though there is no difference between them. Therefore the problem isn't the damage that has been repaired. It is the entry on the WOVR.

In the case of the car I am looking at, it will never appear on the WOVR. Now, I am not saying I wouldn't disclose its history, but I would be honest in saying the vehicle was not on the WOVR. 

As an aside, the UK system is rather different from over here, with there being 4 categories of write offs. With Cat A, the whole car must be crushed and you cannot salvage any parts. Cat B requires the shell to be crushed but you can salvage parts. Cat C is repairable but the repairs would cost more than the car is worth. Cat D is where the car can be repaired for less than it is worth. You are allowed to repair Cat C and D.

It's no surprise I like the British system better than the one we have here...

WOVR is only for cars of 15 years or less, so would never apply to this 3.2 anyway, even if it was stashed here.

I had typed up a rant, but I chose not to post it... this subject grinds my gears a lot! 

As far as I can see, because it is road registered in the UK, I can bring it into Oz and also, as far as I can see, there is no mechanism by which it would be recorded as a repairable write off here.

On one hand it feels wrong, but there really isn't anything wrong with this car so it's not like I am trying to import a dodgy car. I could get it on the road here for $60K.

Thoughts......

My thought is that this is yet another good reason never to touch a UK import, even with the longest of barge poles...

Thanks for the heads-up, Simon!

I'm quite surprised at that, it was clear at the time that any car registered as a write off couldn't be imported. DOTARS needed a copy of the V5 document and of course on that is stamped the write off status. 

Be very wary is my advice. See if you can apply for the import permit before fully owning it.

I've imported a UK car and don't recall having to ever produce the V5.  Needed to prove ownership only - via a receipt - for Import Approval.

Was a while back though so things could have been tightened up since then.  For example, you can still rego a surrogate VIN (eg. re-shelled) car in WA but no longer in NSW.

Archived