The (definitive?) Air Cooled Exhaust Thread

Stew F

I got the M&K system for mine and really happy with the sound (loud) and the quality as well as the support. I fitted myself with no problems but if your not a bit mechanically inclined you may have problems as I had to adjust a few things but worth the effort. I kept the heat exchanges and replaced my pre muffler ( not a cat because mine is a NZ car) with a cat bypass only because it was a bit dented and then went for a one in two out muffler. 

Between this exhaust and the new clutch with the alloy pressure plate the car is so much more lively and revs so much freely and so much more fun to drive

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visited the doctor today for a muffler check...

Cos I have a big 993 engine and the smaller RS rear bumper there's not enough room for a stock muffler! So Monty & M&K are out. Must do a custom jobbie! Might have to get headers too to marry up with the muffler... Hmmm, more Google for now!!

Kev at AES might be worth a call.

He can make pretty much any diameter, length and shape muffler and/or resonator you want, and offers a variety of packings to suit the application. Prices are v reasonable. 

http://www.activeexhaustsystems.com.au

• 3 weeks later...

He can make pretty much any diameter, length and shape muffler and/or resonator you want, and offers a variety of packings to suit the application. Prices are v reasonable. 

thanks @JV911, I only just caught your post. He's in Wollongong, I'm in Melbourne... But might be worth a chat to see what he might still be able to offer....

It's still yet to run so I can't comment on the sound, but I mocked this up yesterday. It was pulled off a customer from works 997 Cup S. I don't think it's an original Cup S exhaust but it suits the look I'm chasing. 

34519922195_357359c45c_o.jpg

34519922255_018754fc9d_o.jpg

It's still yet to run so I can't comment on the sound, but I mocked this up yesterday. It was pulled off a customer from works 997 Cup S. I don't think it's an original Cup S exhaust but it suits the look I'm chasing. 

34519922195_357359c45c_o.jpg

if another one comes up available, i'd love to nab one!

Hi @neill, what engine do you have in your car? WAs curious how snug a fit the muffler was ?  

I have a 79 big port 3.0. It fits easier than the original peanut shaped muffler. 

Will be making custom headers so joining the muffler to the engine isn't a drama for me, but it would require some fab work to join to stock/stock positioning headers.

Seeing this is the definitive thread, I'd like to pose a question...(for 911s). When did 1 inlet muffler become 2 inlet muffler? And what's the benefit and down side of each? I read that 2 out is louder than 1 out, deeper sound, possibly more risk of drone sound.... But my focus is more on the headers and the muffler inlets. With 3 header pipes on each side of the engine block, why would you wrap one side over to the other? 1 inlet seems silly. Why did Porsche design it this way? Which models had 1 in which had 2 in? 

I dare say the change from 2 inlet mufflers to a single inlet with the crossover pipe was driven by the US market, which mandated the use of cat's on petrol cars at the beginning of the 1975 model year. With space being at a premium under the back of a 911, the immediate solution, as I see it, would have been to install a single cat and direct all exhaust gases into it.  I think the 74 model was the last year of dual muffler inlets,incidentally.   For non catalytic converter requirements (i.e. Australia & the rest of the civilised world) the cat was substituted with a pre-muffler from what I've seen.

I have a Magnaflow 1 in 2 out muffler that sounds pretty good.  At idle it has a deep, wood inducing rumble. 

Please reassure me that that's not a mockup for a rear wing for a Hyundai Excel (Excel - lol) drift car or something.

Seeing this is the definitive thread, I'd like to pose a question...(for 911s). When did 1 inlet muffler become 2 inlet muffler? And what's the benefit and down side of each? I read that 2 out is louder than 1 out, deeper sound, possibly more risk of drone sound.... But my focus is more on the headers and the muffler inlets. With 3 header pipes on each side of the engine block, why would you wrap one side over to the other? 1 inlet seems silly. Why did Porsche design it this way? Which models had 1 in which had 2 in? 

1 inlet - factory solution for the exhaust. 3 headers go in 1, another 3 in another 1 and they all go in 1 bigger diameter. Then it goes to a pre muffler, then in a muffler. For the noise level sake and a bit of ecology and for your heater. 2 inlets for those street\racing and racing solutions, when you don`t really care how loud or bad for the environment the exhaust is. More power, more sound, no in cabin heater. 

About the wrapping one side over the other - to make it as quiet as it could be with less exhaust gas restrictions. Open and straight pipes are really LOUD.

Just in case - my custom made but not finished exhaust setup. Stock headers with Soara Performace pre and mufflers 1 in 2 out

• 1 month later...

Some progress on mine.

If anyone is after some headers made to suit I can't recommend my guy enough, doing a cracker of a job.

19551820_10154749773848424_1506109807_o.

hey @neill, that looks great! Are you in melb? Where's your guy? What car /engine is that?

I'm in Brisbane, as is the guy making the headers.

It's a 75 backdated to 73 2.8RSR guise with a 3.0L motor

oh well, I was hoping a bit further south. what did he charge you for those bewties ? Going for a stock muffler?

Archived