The (definitive?) Air Cooled Exhaust Thread

Stew F

Simon (Spiller) has a mate (Emanuel possibly?) that used hot dogs on his black road/race car. Sounds awesome, though it might be too fruity for the road.

Maybe try Terry at Redline exhaust, Edwardstown for some ideas. Andrew (Cayman) used him recently

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drone with a monty... hmm, that's not good.

My experience and research suggests this isn't common.

All the Monty types listed here:

http://www.montymufflers.com/index.html#services

My experience:

'85 3.2 with standard headers/heat exchanges, standard pre-muffler (car is pre cat converter) with Monty one in, one out.  75mm outlet.  No drone at any speed.  Sometimes thought it could be louder and thought about changing the pre-muffler to a straight through pipe a few times.

montymuffler_zpsa6418bad.jpg

Did like the quality of the muffler as they don't seem to deteriorate and the fact you can pick them up off eBay or advertised on the various Porsche Club site at about half new price if you are patient.

M&K probably need a mention here:

http://www.mkexhaust.com/products/911_i.html

Seem to be popular because of the price and the sound.  However not uncommon to hear complaints about them being too loud though.

My only experience is a '88 that I've just bought with standard headers/heat exchangers with M&K cat delete pipe, one in one out M&K muffler. Was a bit anxious it would be too noisy given the reputation and the note - "noisy aftermarket exhaust" I'd seen on a PPI that was done by someone else on the car.  Thankfully found it to be not bad at all, no drone, nice at over 5k rpm and have no intention to change.  Lighter construction than a Monty but very nicely made, especially the welds.

(I don't particularly like loud exhausts, hate ricer pop off valves and don't get me started on cock sucking Harley riders with straight through exhausts.  Also think the dry clutch rattle of an open case Ducati is right up there on the obnoxious noise scale.  So maybe I'm not deaf!)  

I'm in love with the system on my ex 86 3.2.

SSI's with Starr muffler. 2 out. Fit is perfect, sound is perfect, SSI's modded to work properly with 3.2 heater, no drone, great note.

Transformed the car when I put them on. So much more torque and response. It was night and day.

M&K probably need a mention here:

http://www.mkexhaust.com/products/911_i.html

Seem to be popular because of the price and the sound.  However not uncommon to hear complaints about them being too loud though.

yep, I've heard good things about them too. Sol who's been on our SMTs has got one on his old classic 911, sounds great! Light and a good quality steel I have read. 

The Milo tin outlet may have something to do with the drone....

Yep, and a twin outlet could be worse.

I've heard a lot of exhaust set-ups in my time and nothing comes close to the good old Monty & SSI combo. Even stock headers with 1-1 Monty sounds bloody good. 

That's what I have - a bit of drone at cruising speed but otherwise sounds great. Not stupidly loud but sounds like it means business. Having said that, with the AUD/USD exchange rate currently I'd be getting a full custom jobbie like on the Autohaus Group 4 and Grahams blue RSR

Yep, and a twin outlet could be worse.

I've heard a lot of exhaust set-ups in my time and nothing comes close to the good old Monty & SSI combo. Even stock headers with 1-1 Monty sounds bloody good. 

That's what I have - a bit of drone at cruising speed but otherwise sounds great. Not stupidly loud but sounds like it means business. Having said that, with the AUD/USD exchange rate currently I'd be getting a full custom jobbie like on the Autohaus Group 4 and Grahams blue RSR

yup it's expensive now. Custom made is about the same price/cheaper and guaranteed to fit, definitely prefer my custom headers over the fabspeed ones. 

With the drone I have an end cap for one of the exhaust outlets for highway driving. A couple of minutes to remove.

No drone at all with my Monty with 3" outlet. 

Whilst it's true a few hp is hard to notice up the butt , ditching nearly 50kg of aircon certainly helped with the zippiness. The engine does seem to redline more freely with the current setup , I guess less restrictive.

yup it's expensive now. Custom made is about the same price/cheaper and guaranteed to fit, definitely prefer my custom headers over the fabspeed ones. 

With the drone I have an end cap for one of the exhaust outlets for highway driving. A couple of minutes to remove..

I'm wrestling with this at the moment....custom or name-brand?  I'm 2-in/1-out and I like Monty (advised to go for M21) and M&K (advised to go for MKM27)... but having to buy something sight unseen (and only heard on youtube) and then hope my mechanic can make it fit, seems dodgey for around a $1000+ outlay to buy & try approach. But you know the sound is gonna be good. But, get a custom made job & you know it'll fit but the sound is an unknown quantity... I'm guessing the price is around the same or similar? Glad to hear you say prices are similar, thanks...good to know.

Also, the monty M21 is a hotdog shape, the M&K is a straight tube look.... will they both fit me car? 

Whats a poor untrained non-techie mug like me to do? 

Ask your mechanic.  He's probably fitted both types, knows what you like and will likely give you the solution that he knows will work for you.

Worst comes to worse, if you don't like the muffler you buy there is a good trade in second hand exhaust going so you won't risk all your dough.  However I reckon you'll be happy with either.

SSI's  with M&K 2 in 1 out, I was originally going for a Monty muffler but ended up going with the M&K more for the size and weight benefits. As previously mentioned, it is difficult from just you tube clips to get a real sense of the sound and noise level you will end up with. No drone from my set up although the guys at M&K (Very helpful BTW) did advise the 2 in 2 out version was known to have a drone at certain RPM on the highway.

https://youtu.be/Ih3AZFczxoM

I'm wrestling with this at the moment....custom or name-brand?  I'm 2-in/1-out and I like Monty (advised to go for M21) and M&K (advised to go for MKM27)... but having to buy something sight unseen (and only heard on youtube) and then hope my mechanic can make it fit, seems dodgey for around a $1000+ outlay to buy & try approach. But you know the sound is gonna be good. But, get a custom made job & you know it'll fit but the sound is an unknown quantity... I'm guessing the price is around the same or similar? Glad to hear you say prices are similar, thanks...good to know.

Also, the monty M21 is a hotdog shape, the M&K is a straight tube look.... will they both fit me car? 

Whats a poor untrained non-techie mug like me to do? 

imo buy off the shelf muffler that you like. then exhaust shop to make custom headers to suit :)

The monty site lists a different muffler for SC vs 3.2, but both are 1 in 1 out. If trawling ads, are they interchangeable?

definitively? Off the shelf usually backwards compatible only.

sc can be made to fit 3.2 one fettled with a hammer 

if you line up pre n post 73 , SC 3.2 et al the similarities differences become evident. 

SSI's  with M&K 2 in 1 out, I was originally going for a Monty muffler but ended up going with the M&K more for the size and weight benefits. As previously mentioned, it is difficult from just you tube clips to get a real sense of the sound and noise level you will end up with. No drone from my set up although the guys at M&K (Very helpful BTW) did advise the 2 in 2 out version was known to have a drone at certain RPM on the highway.

https://youtu.be/Ih3AZFczxoM

I really like the M&K having heard one at an SMT late last year (thanks Sol)..and the weight saving  sounds good too. But there's alot of great reviews on Montys, they're big in the US (Monty himself told me. Yes, his name is monty). But Monty dont publish the weight, so how much gain is there.?. Do you know the weight diff between them?? 

I'm going to see my mechanic tomorrow, so as Clutch-Monky suggests, I will lean towards getting the off-shelf  M&K and then fit it to the headers...

Visited the doctor today for a muffler check...

Cos I have a big 993 engine and the smaller RS rear bumper there's not enough room for a stock muffler! So Monty & M&K are out. Must do a custom jobbie! Might have to get headers too to marry up with the muffler... Hmmm, more Google for now!!

Archived