Unicorn stuff - I know!! Forged wheels for 944S2

Jason E

I know this is probably pointless.  I know they will be nigh on impossible to find but I thought I might throw it out there & see what might happen if I shake the trees a little.  I am chasing some lighter forged wheels for my 1990 944 S2.  I would love to find some of the wheels off the Turbo S.  I've seen a few sets being alluded to in the UK & parts Europe but would prefer something local if possible.  I have to decide whether I want to have my D90s refurbed or invest the cash in a better set of wheels.  Who's got what?  Who knows a guy that spoke to a bloke who reckons he overheard a mate talking about a fellow that has a set in his shed & needs the space to set up an organic craft beer micro brewery?

I Who knows a guy that spoke to a bloke who reckons he overheard a mate talking about a fellow that has a set in his shed & needs the space to set up an organic craft beer micro brewery?  meth lab

That should attract a few more viewers :P

Hi Jason , do not forget , the Fuchs 944 Turbo S front wheels are not the same ET as what's on a standard 944S2 , meaning the 944 Turbo S had completely different front stub axles ( spindles in USA speak )

944S2 ( 99%)  or a 968 ( Non M030 ) have front stub axles that require 55 mm ET   (or at least close to that )

944 Turbo S & 968CS with M030    have front stub axle that requires a ET of 65 mm

So that means the front wheels from a Turbo S onto a standard 944S2 would make the wheels sit in an extra 10mm , the standard 944S2 front wheels already look a bit too far in as compared to the front guards , the Turbo S wheels would be even worse by an extra 10mm

I know what you are going to say next , but front spacers are not legal ( the rear is a different matter )

Regards

BB

Here are some photos of the new genuine Fuchfelge ( Fuchs ) made in Germany 17" X 8 " & 17" x 9" Forged & anodised wheels we have been installing on our & customers Porsche's , be it 951 , 968 , 944S2 , these wheels are more suitable ( ET wise) with the standard 55mm ET stub axles that are more common on the 944S2 /968 ( non M030 ) and 951 ( 1987/1988 ) Non Turbo S 

We purchase them from RSR Garage in Victoria ( agent for Fuchs )

The quality / strength & lightness is quite something 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive 

DSC_2086_zpsfhzpiypl.jpg

DSC_0465_zpsg8hntcmt.jpg

DSC_0469_zpsdcd4uqck.jpg

DSC_0466_zpsczslru10.jpg

Thanks Bruce, they are a great looking wheel.  I will jump on and have a gander at them.  Thanks very much for the info, saves me chasing something unsuitable.

cheers,

Jason

• 3 months later...

You are correct JEP , they are the stock standard 993 16" dia wheels  , the 16" dia ( not 15" dia ) phone dial 944 ( 1987-1988  ) option for the 944 , but standard for the 1987 & 1988 951( Non Turbo S) are quite rare , so these 16" dia ( standard  951 ) 1987 & 1988 951 wheels will fit you're 944S , just a bit hard to find

Note } the 1986 944 & 951 had different stub axles ( ET ) to the 1987 > , so that  means the the 1986 telephone wheels will not fit you're 944S

The more common 928S ( 1980 - 1985 )  16" dia phone dial wheels are a bit more common , but the ET at 65mm are not compatible to a 944 / 951 that is Non Turbo S where the wheels need to be ET 55 , so that means these 16" dia 928 telephone wheels will not fit you're 944S

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

Archived