Personal Track Day Vids

Guest Nick987

Guest Nick987

Thanks Vas.

I was taking it easy that day as I was still nursing some anxiety from day 1 of the training when I was trying to set up for a 200kmh run down the main straight (gardener) in the 986 s and felt I was overshooting the exit to the corner at about halfway into the large sweeping left hander (turn 12) coming into the main straight.

That was the moment I realised my entry speed exceeded my talent.

What followed was a melange of:

1. panic (can I keep the wreck?);

2. confusion (why am I blasting into the main straight backwards/arse first?);

3. disillusionment (no way any talent scout gonna tap me now);

4. helplessness (what the fangio do i do here?) and

5. terror (wadaya mean you can't track paralyzed!??)

Because in order to fix this dog and pony show of a corner, I lifted off totally and too quickly at 160kmh and started a beautiful, text book lift off over steer (weissach waltz?) that took me on the scenic 180 degree tour, so I ended up traveling about 140kmh down the main straight in reverse.

And sliding.

All I could see was white concrete wall and my life flashing before my eyes, but in fast forward - in that instant, I thought in one long moment...

"...oh no...No! Not like this...(looking out the driver's window over my shoulder at the wall approaching, with steering wheel hard against the lock stop and full opposite lock on the wheel)...not the wall!...opposite lock is meant to fix this!?...what do i do now?..."

And then I recalled the instructor's words to the damned to "slam on the brakes if you get into trouble". Given I had tried everything I could to get the car right, and failed, I thought slamming the anchors couldn't really hurt any more, so did just that.

The car spun another 180 degrees (so a complete 360 pirouette) to end up pointing down the main straight and rolling forwards at about 60kmh.

I did what anyone would do at that point...I banged her into second, floored the go pedal, popped the clutch, yelled out the banshee wail of still livingness and scuttled on down the straight.

Sadly though, I didn't hit my 200kmh down the main straight that lap.

But...

I also didn't get lunched by a pacey GT3 or Turbo hustling up behind me.

So...

This session (in the movie above), I was still nursing that memory, had promised the treasurer I was coming back with vehicle and myself intact and reminded myself those fine chaps at Esanda wouldn't be too pleased had I returned that day with a mangled wreck on the back of a tow tray.

Hence taking it a little easier.

So my lines are sloppy and I'm hugging the inner corners, taking lazy apexes and braking, lots of braking, where you really shouldn't be.

I also wasn't sure what the 987 s was capable of and didn't really want to find any limits that day, just have a bit of fun and see how the car went.

It feels totally different to drive than the 986 s. Much heavier and faster, more stable at speed but not as nimble and needed harder braking and longer to slow up.

Cracked 217kmh down the main straight and some of my laps were under 2.10 so I was pretty satisfied with the day.

And all components returned safely at the end of it all which is what we wanted.

Keen for another go though!

Guest Nick987

Nice read - those track days are dangerously addictive.

Dangerous yes! And addicted I am.

You got inboard footage of the 360 - that would be entreating and more so if the camera was shooting the drivers face at the time.

No! I really wish I had that setup though - cam on the track and one on my face. Seeing what happened that day, again now, would be a blast!

That day with the 986 s was my first time on a track and first time doing any advanced driver training so I didn't know what to expect or the loadout I would need.

This time around, I went in armed with a go pro with extra batteries, sd cards and an ipad (to check what i was doing) and made sure I got plenty of footage.

I'm planning to take that rig with me next time I go for a blast and record the trip.

great read, scary times coming onto that straight backwards. I did PI in my old MY00 WRX and was lapping sub 2 mins.. car was worked though. very fun track, scary fast in places.. i found the best mod on a track is tyres, the stickier the better..

Yep. Jump on those brakes hard. As I tell my trainees – when it all goes seriously wrong - have the slowest accident possible.

P.S. – turn 12 – A slight lift at 11.5 to get the nose to tuck in then back on the power before the apex and stay on it and you’ll gain 10-15kph before braking for turn 1.

I had my first "Weissach waltz" on Saturday :o

Having a go in entree at Winton with the PCV, I followed instructions and turned in to turn 3 a bit later and the result is on the video.

Scariest moment was the indecision of the driver following. No damage, just some smoke let out of the tyres.

Great day though, lap times went down steadily throughout the day.

Guest Nick987

Nice Waltz Harry!

Textbook. :lol:

Light and airy and full of grace. :D

I'm not sure what goes through my mind first in those moments, the relief of saving her or the terror of someone lunching me...

Think I might start me up a Weissach Waltz thread... ;)

Guest Nick987

I had my first "Weissach waltz" on Saturday :o

Having a go in entree at Winton with the PCV, I followed instructions and turned in to turn 3 a bit later and the result is on the video.

Scariest moment was the indecision of the driver following. No damage, just some smoke let out of the tyres.

Great day though, lap times went down steadily throughout the day.

Hey Harry, ok if I add your waltz to the new "Weissach Waltzes" thread?

Guest Nick987

great read, scary times coming onto that straight backwards. I did PI in my old MY00 WRX and was lapping sub 2 mins.. car was worked though. very fun track, scary fast in places.. i found the best mod on a track is tyres, the stickier the better..

Agreed J.J., turn 12 into Gardener (main straight) isn't somewhere you want to be flying in backwards ! :D

And +1 for tyres. Amazing what a good set will do for the grip and turn in. Michelin Sport Plus N3's are my straps of choice.

I know there are others, better etc but I haven't done enough track times to warrant separate sets (yet!) so need something that works on the streets as well and have found these suit me really well.

Have conti sport contacts on the current 987s and can't wait for them to be done so I can go back to the Michelins.

Guest Nick987

Yep. Jump on those brakes hard. As I tell my trainees – when it all goes seriously wrong - have the slowest accident possible.

P.S. – turn 12 – A slight lift at 11.5 to get the nose to tuck in then back on the power before the apex and stay on it and you’ll gain 10-15kph before braking for turn 1.

Thanks Airhead, slowest accident possible sounds like sensible advice. And maybe, wear a helmet! (I wasn't that day I spun, v stupid.) Fixed now.

I will be trying this advice at 11.5 next track day. Still unsure how much to pack on into 12 without running wide though, but will pay attention to lift off at 11.5, sounds like great advice.

Guest Nick987

If the day has been fun, and all components are returned home safely, what more can you ask for???

Yep, signs of a successful day out.

Nick, great idea to start a thread like this. Good to see you drive that Porka like you should.

Harvs, you must have been given it a fair push because I know you can drive!!!!!

I recall having to really get going on a particular SMT to catch a silver SC!!!

Guest Nick987

Thanks teknostar.

You know, I didn't really crap myself when the car came right. I was just washed from head to toe in the relief of adrenaline realising that I was alive, the car was still idling and nothing was damaged and that I wasn't wearing another participant's car in my backside.

There were thick tyre marks leading into the wall that runs the length of the pit strait, starting at just about the point I spun and on the previous laps of the day I noticed them and really hoped that I wouldn't be following them.

I had no helmet on, in an open top (roof up but so what) and was heading into that wall sideways and on the driver's side so a door airbag was all that was going to help stop me making the quick transition from solid into liquid.

So the relief included not following those tyres into the wall.

I literally let out a banshee wail! And made off. As I passed the instructors that usually hold a little cafe clutch at the end of the pits, Steve Pizzardi's off sider (Luke?) was waving at me like a maniac to slow down as I passed him.

At lunch the people that had been standing in the pits told me they heard a huge screech of tyres, saw a massive cloud of smoke and were waiting for the big crunk sound of collision and were surprised it never came but saw my boxster fly past a few moments later.

I pitted after that lap to collect my thoughts and regain my composure. Had a break then headed out again for the remainder of the afternoon.

Steve told me there aren't many who spin like that there in that part of the track and make it out rolling. So I was thankfull I managed to survive with myself and vehicle intact

Until that point I hadn't made a foot wrong in that car and was feeling pretty confident, this was the best thing that happened, it realigned my expectations (I can do anything) with my talent (I am still learning) and I didn't die or crunch the car.

I took the remainder of the day more easily.

It wasn't until I got back to the motel that night that things started to dawn on me. Like how close I came to serious calamity, for myself, my family and for my car. That was when the pants cleaning began for me.

Let's just say several large, stiff g&t's, with more g than t, disappeared that night, never to be seen again...

great story, Nick. So glad for you that it all ended well when it could have been the exact opposite. Sounds like you took some life experiences away from what happened so thats a good thing. just watched your vid too, gee the guy in the Cayenne wasnt doing too badly out front either :)

Handed back the Cayman yet ?? :rolleyes:

Look forward to catching up at an SMT real soon...

Cheers

Chris

Guest Nick987

Hi Chris and thanks. Not wanting to be a sexist pig or anything, but that Cayenne had a lady pilot!

Seems she is one not to be kidding herself and realises she needs 300+ kW to get the kids to school...and full kudos from me.

Yep, that GTS, with it's 4.5ltr v8 and active ride management (self leveling), piloted by a talented driver left me for dead. I just couldn't keep up. Then again, I wasn't really trying...BUT that is a waaaay powerful suva. Really pulled away in the straight bits. Insane braking and cornered flat. Really didn't look like a suv, only Porsche could get 2.5 tonne lapping like a Carrera S.

Cayman went back today at lunchtime. I am torn at the moment. That was just an utter BLAST to drive that car. The most balanced total package I have ever driven. Power, brakes and suspension a few notches off my S but with the PDK, made it a scalpel. And the tires were insane!

But to get into mine, with new plugs, filters and oil...and press mr go pedal and aaahhh that deep, bellowing 3.4 just soothed the fond memories away. My baby's back! And sharper!

I am prepping some vision at the moment to post of my weekend along with a few words as some of the folks here have expressed some interest...

I caught up with Theo on Sunday for a blast to grin city, can't wait for the next day out!

And yes took away some topics to research. For one, The 'Ferraria effect', aka liftoff oversteer, aka 'weisach waltz'. Went away researching this topic in depth. Seems the most counterintuitive 'fix', if your kahones are big enough, is to accelerate into the slide to shift your mass back to the rear wheels and regain traction. That or buy a Porsche with PSM. Not wanting to experiment with the first method, I got a car with PSM!

Guest Nick987

Yes have seen this also. In the right hands, there is little if any difference between their suv's and their road cars. This was such a revelation to me when I saw it, wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. Leaves the X5's and ML AMG's far behind in terms of handling and performance. Not something you really hear about in high centre of gravity SUVs.

According to this article they are very capable also...

“We know some customers are taking the Cayenne to the dunes and we know other customers are taking it to the Nurburgring Nordschleife,” he said."

DUNES!

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/porsche-cayenne-kicks-german-butt-20120625-20x25.html

Here is one captured by a mate (rear vision mirror gets in the way but there are few good bits in between 1 and 8 minute marks) following me around Wakefield after I first bought my '85 Carrera - this was a shakedown run in which I learnt a lot about the Weissach Waltz. :)

Guest Nick987

Nice pace...

Definitely some fine 'exhibition waltzing' there for the young 'uns...esp. 7.48, nice 'pirouette'!!

Good to see your mate on the ball...

I could see him cracking a smile or two...looks like you blokes had a blast!

Great Vid Randall, thanks for sharing!

Archived