My first SC, lots of questions...

88-ben-88

I have been lurking here for a while. Earlier this year I imported a 1980 911sc from Japan and am in the process of first getting it complianced, then a roadworthy, club rego and then a long slow restomod. I got very lucky as the car is in great condition and has a few extras like a full bolt in cage, coilovers, 8x16 Fuchs, etc. It has plenty of bad things too like a terrible red over original Grand Prix white paint, virtually no interior, suspension dumped so low the tyre rub has bubbled the paint on the outside,etc....but most importantly, no rust.

I have many many questions, but my priorities are on the compliance first. The first major stumbling block is the doors. Despite it being a 1980, it doesn't have any intrusion beams. I understand they can be fitted, although having had a look it looks bloody tricky. There is next to no room for the front mount and it's very narrow around the window mechanism. 

I read somewhere that Zag do them or sell a kit but having contacted them I got advised it's no longer available. I could try making them myself, and this might be what I have to do. Has anyone attempted this, got any tips, advice? I would give my first born for some dimensioned drawings. Failing that, anyone got a pair of doors I can rent? 

Congratulations on the car you must be ecstatic.

I am not an expert on historic club rego but suggest that you do your research there before you resto mod the car to make sure that your modifications do not impact your ability to do this.  Porsche Club Victoria could easily help you with this though so just get in contact with them.

I have been lurking here for a while. Earlier this year I imported a 1980 911sc from Japan and am in the process of first getting it complianced, then a roadworthy, club rego and then a long slow restomod. I got very lucky as the car is in great condition and has a few extras like a full bolt in cage, coilovers, 8x16 Fuchs, etc. It has plenty of bad things too like a terrible red over original Grand Prix white paint, virtually no interior, suspension dumped so low the tyre rub has bubbled the paint on the outside,etc....but most importantly, no rust.

I have many many questions, but my priorities are on the compliance first. The first major stumbling block is the doors. Despite it being a 1980, it doesn't have any intrusion beams. I understand they can be fitted, although having had a look it looks bloody tricky. There is next to no room for the front mount and it's very narrow around the window mechanism. 

I read somewhere that Zag do them or sell a kit but having contacted them I got advised it's no longer available. I could try making them myself, and this might be what I have to do. Has anyone attempted this, got any tips, advice? I would give my first born for some dimensioned drawings. Failing that, anyone got a pair of doors I can rent? 

Congrats I'm a big fan of Jap Porsches I've had 3 over the years ... I did the door bars my self on the first one with advice from the VASS inspector & got it complied 

I may still have photos of the door bar install i could email you.. where in Melb are you?

JamesP - I am in Flemington....would love to see how you did it, I have a mig, just have very poor skills with it.

some photos of the car, the first two were taken in Japan, the last one in Melbourne on delivery day. I felt like a kid on Christmas Day...

B3856EE4-3BA9-4455-8C20-7A9766DD9CDE.JPG

9CDFA165-64E6-4E66-8D72-11E2F6756AF8.JPG

A5ED609B-E40A-4C2F-870F-C2FAFBB1EF88.JPG

SC owners FAQ

I've overfilled my oil.  How do I drain some off?  (Or, why is my car smoking?)

What should I do about airconditjoning (seen around dec/Jan)

Why won't my car go into first gear? (Or, what is a 915?)

how do you stop oil leaks (or, my significant other is complaining about oily smell)

how do I stop my car from idling high/stalling/failing to hot start/using so much fuel (or, does anyone have CIS injection skills)

...and the very worst

what is this big nut thing I found under the valve covers? (ro-Ro)

Enjoy your new car, a great choice!

id also like to know the ins and outs of buying from Japan, if you feel like writing

LeeM - as it would happen, they were the first thing to get removed from the car. Would you believe they aren't ADR compliant? I have a horrendous pair of ADR compliant seats from a Daewoo Getz in their place.

For those interested the import process, it is very simple, and goes roughly like this...

1- sign up to a car importation agency (not strictly required but makes it easier)

2-browse their website for upcoming auctions until you find what you want

3-when you have found your car let them know you want to bid on something and they send an agent out to inspect it. They then send you a bunch of photos and some limited notes on condition. This usually happens around 24- 12 hours before the auction so you have to be quick with the decision making.

4- Confirm your maximum bid

5 - If you win you pay the balance and wait about 3 weeks for the car to land in your local port. 

6- pay customs the clearance fee and take delivery of the car.

There are plenty of twists and turns in there but ultimately you are buying a car over the internet, based on photos and the notes of someone you have never met. Its a risk, but the cars are generally in great condition and low miles. And can sometimes be very cheap.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Pics of my door bar install on a Japan SC i had years ago... i made the bars & installed them, the VASS inspector passed it to my surprise, if they work in a crash is another question 

I sold the car 2 years ago to a guy in Rotterdam, Netherlands & he gave the car a full bare metal respray, funny enough he emailed me last night saying he is going to sell it.. I'm thinking about bringing it back depending on the price...

IMG_2276_zps9x96xysz.jpgIMG_2277_zpsqdojv8zr.jpgIMG_2281_zpseokz9p66.jpgIMG_2283_zps6jobsml0.jpg

IMG_5678_zpsvggxzcsa.jpgDSC_7727_zpshawuu6a7.jpg

Fantastic, thank you!

That's exactly what i was after. I will see if my compliance bloke will sign off on something like that. Your design avoids what i find the trickiest bit, the mounts to the doors. Its probably going to fold at those points in a crash, but if your VASS guy signed off on them maybe mine will too.

The car looks precisely how i want mine to turn out too.

Thank JamesP

• 2 weeks later...

I have been lurking here for a while. Earlier this year I imported a 1980 911sc from Japan and am in the process of first getting it complianced, then a roadworthy, club rego and then a long slow restomod.

I have many many questions, but my priorities are on the compliance first. The first major stumbling block is the doors. Despite it being a 1980, it doesn't have any intrusion beams.

Failing that, anyone got a pair of doors I can rent? 

I think you should 'stop for a minute' and rethink your approach to getting the 911 on the road.

Your present plan is following what usually happens when you bring in a modern car, say like a Skyline, from J. But your situation may be different.

As mentioned above, if you are going for a Club Permit you MAY not need to do a total compliance. The key with a permit is to obtain a RWC & then obtain your Cubs permission to accept the car. With the Clubs & the RWC, some are stricter than others, with a few 'bush-lawyers' giving differing opinions on whats in or out. You may have to shop around.

You might even consider a competition club like the HRA which is set up for rallying???

Once you have the car on the road under a Permit, you may think its not necessary to go through a full Registration rigmarole whilst in your ownership. 

Hi, yeah, before I purchased the car I thought I might be able to sidestep the whole compliance issue. Unfortunately to get a club permit for a car manufactured after 1948 you now need a roadworthy, and to get a roadworthy it has to have a compliance badge. 

Its a bugger but could be worse. I only need to do the doors, remove the cage and put some seats in it that have an ADR stamp (would you believe that the Recaro's don't have compliance?)

I am going to attempt the intrusion bar fabrication this weekend then its just roadworthy items to sort like brake lines, tie rods, fuel lines etc.

Hi, yeah, before I purchased the car I thought I might be able to sidestep the whole compliance issue. Unfortunately to get a club permit for a car manufactured after 1948 you now need a roadworthy, and to get a roadworthy it has to have a compliance badge. 

Its a bugger but could be worse. I only need to do the doors, remove the cage and put some seats in it that have an ADR stamp (would you believe that the Recaro's don't have compliance?)

I am going to attempt the intrusion bar fabrication this weekend then its just roadworthy items to sort like brake lines, tie rods, fuel lines etc.

Correct i had to get compliance to get a RWC

Hi, no, i needs compliance approval from an engineer. I am not sure yet if they will issue a 'plate' or just a certificate.  It would be the same process if you were building a kit car. There is a specified list of approved engineers who can issue the compliance 'badge'. I am using APS Engineering (www.apseng.com.au) and they have been brilliant, answered all my stupid questions,and have been very patient. I am not a Ford person but they build the most amazing GT40 replicas. 

Archived