Goo Gone or similar product.....

Jason E

Can I ask the collective of their thoughts please............

I have purchased a new set of taillight seals from only 944.  As such I need to clean out the goo tar like crap that is currently in place.  Everyone seems to suggest the "Goo Gone Automotive gel" is best for remove this gunk.  I see that it is a citrus based product.  It appears hard to source here in Australia for any reasonable price.  

Any thoughts on a replacement product to use for this purpose?  I thought maybe one of the citrus based multi purpose cleaners (though god knows what this might do to surrounding surfaces).

Any thoughts/ advice greatly appreciated.

regards,

Jason E

Hi Jason,

There is a product called DeSolvIt which you can buy from Bunnings. It should do the trick. I know it very well as I developed the formulation. I don't have any interest in it now as the company I work for sold the brand 18 months ago. 

Just make sure you rinse it well with water especially rubber seals etc. it is citrus based and will effect rubber if it is not rinsed thoroughly. It does have a surfactant in the formulation which will mean you only need water to rinse rather than soap and water.

Hope that helps. :)

cheers

Chris

Jason, I have some stuff here called De-Solv-it.   it is a sticky spot and stain remover and is a natural citrus base.

I'd love to send you a photo but I don't know how to post them now Photobucket have given us the flick.

It is a great product and on the back amongst the other things it does it removes Sticking Plaster...Tar/Grease and Oil.

Comes in a 300ml clear bottle with a push down spray nozzle.

The good news is... one of our forum people supply it to the retailers and if your interested in giving it a try I will pass on your request to that forum member.

Otherwise, good luck with it, and let us know what you end up using.

Niko

Hi Jason,

There is a product called DeSolvIt which you can buy from Bunnings. It should do the trick. I know it very well as I developed the formulation. I don't have any interest in it now as the company I work for sold the brand 18 months ago. 

Just make sure you rinse it well with water especially rubber seals etc. it is citrus based and will effect rubber if it is not rinsed thoroughly. It does have a surfactant in the formulation which will mean you only need water to rinse rather than soap and water.

Hope that helps. :)

cheers

Chris

Ha ha sorry Chris, great minds think alike.     I think we answered at the same time.   

You should be lying in the sun anyway.....

Goo Gone is readily available on ebay, I bought some works great. Not sure about the gel you speak of this is a liquid.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Goo-Gone-Cleaning-Chemical-For-Graffitti-Crayon-Sticker-Gummy-Gooey-Messes-/182175387469?var=&epid=1725137775&hash=item2a6a7fcf4d:m:mTbUtEw31mwLjJqjtT8xoUA

(It was the first link that I saw, may be better ones on there)

Edit - this is where I bought mine from.

Cheers everyone for your quick replies.

I think I will try the DeSolvIt first (as there is a Bunnings just down the road) & then I might order some of the Goo Gone if necessary.

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated. 

I have purchased a new set of taillight seals from only 944.  

regards,

Jason E

Thanks for the tip on only944 Jason.................I see they have a design for the elusive cupholder, and you didn't think to throw a set in???? :o

Good luck with the new lens seals.  If there is a rubber seal, why is there that mastic style gunk on every 944?  Are you planning on fitting the new seals and then re-gunking?

Thanks for the tip on only944 Jason.................I see they have a design for the elusive cupholder, and you didn't think to throw a set in???? :o

Good luck with the new lens seals.  If there is a rubber seal, why is there that mastic style gunk on every 944?  Are you planning on fitting the new seals and then re-gunking?

Hello my friend,

It would appear that I have spent enough money with only 944 of late to prop up many a small African nation............however I am on to a better set of cupholders that are being developed by a small outfit in the States - 

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/modelstatus.html

They should be ready for sale by the end of the year.  

The current set up I have is - 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/suv-double-coffee-cup-cell-holder-porsche-944-968-986-987-996-boxter-no-tools-/302380901562?hash=item46674e64ba:g:8MYAAOSwa39UwGue

I'm gonna call it just so-so as it is designed for the American 9 Bijillion litre cup size.  Our poor desiccated Aussie receptacles seem to rattle & move too much in the twisties.

Re the lens seals.  The original Porsche set up is just the black sticky La Brea tar pit goop.  The new only 944 set up is a self adhesive seal that is a one stop application - super.

I have so many parts recently purchased for so many projects ready to go that there will be more new than old on this car by the time I am done.  Bruce Buchanan did warn me that I would be making up for about 20 years worth of deffered maintenance on this car.

It's all coming together now though, the car is starting to actually look like a respectable thing.

Goo Gone and Desolvit are essentially the same thing. I have used both before and they do the same job. 

I picked up some Desolvit this afternoon.  Will let you all know how I go.

If the desolvit doesn't work, I have some Einszett 1Z W99 that'll take it off here (I used it on a set of tail lights I had that had the same goopy stuff on them) it's very strong so just watch the dilution.

If the desolvit doesn't work, I have some Einszett 1Z W99 that'll take it off here (I used it on a set of tail lights I had that had the same goopy stuff on them) it's very strong so just watch the dilution.

Cheers Russ, I'll let you know how I go with the desolvit first.....

Why is there goopy stuff on new taillights?

I assume mines been there since 1990.  Of course the body shop that just took the left hand tail light out refitted it with the same goop......sigh............

Archived