general question on a replacement engine

Glen

Hi all.

I'd rather not specify too much at this stage but wold anybody know what documentation/changes would happen once a new engine was replaced on a Macan? Obviously there is a current engine number. Does this engine number match to the VIN, log book etc? If so, would it stick out like dogs balls if a new engine was replaced? Would it all have to match up again and would Porsche do this? Would you smell something fishy if you saw a new Macan with a replacement engine?

Thanks in advance

Would there be any Macan's outside of warranty yet? If not would not any potential engine change have been done by a dealer?

VIN and engine number are usually different, well at least on older Porsches....

My Macan has done 14,500kms and the big end has gone! I have cherished it from day one and maybe I've been unlucky...who knows.

So my concern is whether it would be frowned upon when I come to sell it.

Obviously still under warranty and currently waiting for engine from Germany...

Nissan replaced an engine for me once upon a time. The new engine had it's own number so it had to be noted on the rego papers with the new number.

What happened when you sold it? Did the buyer note the changes and if so, did it impact their purchase?

In this case, most of this will be taken care of by the dealer. 

They will complete a "change of vehicle details" form and lodge with qld transport to change the engine number on file.

When it comes time to sell, it shouldn't make a difference; they will be getting a new Porsche engine installed by an authorised dealer. 

Didn't most of the GT3 a few years back have replacement engines too?

My Macan has done 14,500kms and the big end has gone! I have cherished it from day one and maybe I've been unlucky...who knows.

So my concern is whether it would be frowned upon when I come to sell it.

Obviously still under warranty and currently waiting for engine from Germany...

What happened when you sold it? Did the buyer note the changes and if so, did it impact their purchase?

It was just a pulsar. So no, it was not an issue. 

The whole matching number hysteria is just a bullshit marketing ploy from desperate people trying to differentiate their car from others for sale.

For a daily driver it means absolutely nothing  provided the reasons for the change are transparent and up front.  In fact you could even say it's a benefit or a resale advantage as it means the engine is even fresher that the chassis.

I can't imagine any daily driver like a Macan will ever be considered for restoration or as a long term ownership option beyond say 20 years and will just end up scrap at the recyclers anyway.

At the end of the day, if the engine is rooted, replacement is the only viable option as they won't rebuild the existing block.  I say up 'em for the rent and insist on a nice Cayman loan car while they're sorting yours out!

if it's replaced under manufacturers warranty maybe they will update the engine number with the factory anyway - in ye olden days porsche used to swap engines on the line all the time

if its a diesel, swap for a petrol engine........that diesel badge will hurt your resale more than non matching numbers.  I have an Audi and a BMW diesel SUV and the more I read about those shifty Germans and their collaboration of beating the emissions testing, the more I think I should sell both before the diesel brand is permanently damaged and car values start being affected.

Cayenne in the interim which is OK. There's always 2 sides to the story and if I sold it privately, or worse, through a dealer, surely some would snub it due to the new engine? As in, this dude has obviously been thrashing the hell out of it...

Glen,

If you have the paperwork to show it was replaced under warranty that would show that "this dude hasn't thrashed the hell out of it" and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Modern engines are effectively thrash proof and a modern reasonably low kilometre engine that fails can only be due to a manufacturing or design flaw.   However if they are not serviced to schedule they can fail and void the warranty. The fact that Porsche are looking after you demonstrates it hasn't been mistreated.

As long as the engine number matches the rego papers, 99% of people wouldn't know anyway.

Cayenne??  I said borrow a Cayman! :D

Haha! I had no choice (I think!) of what car i got. I did have a Holden for 7 days until I was told I was getting a Cayenne. 

Thanks all for the info and advice. I'll revert once I have notification that the engine is in the country and how things are going with new engine documentation etc.

Cheers

I doubt the person that eventually buys your Macan will even know it had a replacement engine unless someone tells them or they do some serious research.

As noted the 'matching numbers' thing really only comes from the Muscle car world where ordinary cars were made different by having different options specified.  So you get all the special dealers orders and race specials and the rest which can only be verified by matching all the numbers on the original order.  Because the number of 'special' muscle cars outstriped the original supply by 10 or 20x.  A bit like the number of GTHOs getting around was a lot bigger than the number made originally, before people started getting serious about provenance and proving originality.

Since 'matching numbers' was big in the muscle car auction world it spilled over into other car markets as well - it caught on in Porsche circles as engine swaps forwards was always a big thing and the earlier engines had quirks (like MFI or whatever) that people wanted.  

It only matters in collectible markets and the chances of your Macan becoming a collectible are approaching zero % - unless you plan to keep it original and pristine for 40 years - and even then it is a crapshoot whether anyone would care about it then.

A dealer replaced engine under warranty should not concern anyone looking at a car and such a thing is common.  Maybe if you were given two identical Macans to choose from and one had a replacement engine and the other didn't - you might choose against it.  But that scenario isn't giong to happen because kms, options, wear and tear are going to differentiate two cars more than whether the engine was fitted in a dealer service centre or the original assembly line.

All that is a long way of saying don't sweat it - you'll probably end up trading the car in anyway.

Ok so the plot thickens. This from Porsche...

'In regards to the engine number, the original number  will be transferred to the new engine and match the chassis number also. Therefore no changes will need to be made to vehicle details and/or registration details'

So my question here is, is the engine not stamped with a new number? I did hear that engine numbers are just sticker son bonnets and not actually embedded into the metal of the engine. Can anybody please clarify.

If your new engine is coming out from Germany they probably have them already made up and stamp the numbers as required. 

Every engine number I have ever seen has been stamped into the block itself.

If your new engine is coming out from Germany they probably have them already made up and stamp the numbers as required. 

Every engine number I have ever seen has been stamped into the block itself.

Ah, interesting! If they match the new number with the old, that is dodgy, no? 

And to answer the other question, I do not know yet...

Ah, interesting! If they match the new number with the old, that is dodgy, no? 

And to answer the other question, I do not know yet...

If anyone other than the factory were doing it then yes, but seeing it is a completely brand new engine from them, then I would say no. I cannot see it having any ill affect on any aspect of the car. The only thing that worries me is the original engines premature demise......

• 2 weeks later...

Non event long term is my guess plus you get a fresh engine - but push for compensation of some sort. I know someone who's bonnet was scratched slightly while being prepared for delivery - in addition to fixing it (obviously), he got tickets to the GP & Porsche Tent, jacket, cap and other goodies - along with the first service at no charge. If for nothing else, you bought a premium car and should not have been inconvenienced.

You have nothing to loose

Were faulty AC 911 casings not restamped the same by the factory replacements? I seem to recall reading this.
At the end of the day , quite a few engines (and cars for that matter) end up like the legendary woodsman's axe!

Archived