Where to buy Spark Plugs, Coils? Advice needed!

Francois

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the spark plugs on a 997 CS Cabrio I'm about to buy.

I was wondering where was the best place to purchase the new plugs and ignition coils? - I'll probably replace the coils as well as the car is a MY2008 with 80k km and I have no clue if they were ever replaced.

Beru, Bosch or NGK plugs, any advice?

Any recommendations as for the ignition coils?

I spoke with James at Autohaus today to get some prices on coils - $77each (Beru). Porsche 996.

I paid an absolute shit load for one on Saturday but I was desperate (Bosch). I'll be getting 6 Beru from them at that price.

I replaced all the spark-plugs with Bosch when I bought the car. No issue so far.

Jim.

I spoke with James at Autohaus today to get some prices on coils - $77each (Beru). Porsche 996.

I paid an absolute shit load for one on Saturday but I was desperate (Bosch). I'll be getting 6 Beru from them at that price.

I replaced all the spark-plugs with Bosch when I bought the car. No issue so far.

Jim.

Thanks Jim, sounds like you had some tough times at your P centre??

Did you get your spark plugs at Autohaus too?

Has anyone used the "masterparts.com.au" website?? Is it any good?

They also seem to sell Bosch sparkplugs and Beru coils: http://www.masterparts.com.au/p/9228944/ignition-coil-997-602-104-02.html

Cheers

Thanks Jim, sounds like you had some tough times at your P centre??

Did you get your spark plugs at Autohaus too?

Has anyone used the "masterparts.com.au" website?? Is it any good?

They also seem to sell Bosch sparkplugs and Beru coils: http://www.masterparts.com.au/p/9228944/ignition-coil-997-602-104-02.html

Cheers

I've used my mechanic since day one.

Changed the plugs to Bosch 18 months ago when I bought the car on the advice of my guy - I've had no issue.

Not P-Centre for coil pack - Indy, but short notice Saturday and all he could get was Bosch from his supplier.

I've been buying parts from design 911 in the UK. Autohaus gave me prices on several service items which I though were reasonable - pays to just shop around.

Jim.

I have used Masterparts a couple of times already & they were good.

Cheers Zelrik. Looking at their website, they seem to be "okay" priced, will most probably give them a go for the coils and (BOSCH) plugs, unless i go NGK...???

Not sure why people go head over hills for sparkplugs, but i've always used NGK plugs, even on my 450hp 944 turbo. all that advertisement bullshit about they can last 100,000 kilometers is useless as you change them every service (once a year at least)

For coils if they need replacing. I'd call up Porsche centre melbourne. Each time ive ordered parts from them, they've been very reasonable with prices.  

Not sure why people go head over hills for sparkplugs, but i've always used NGK plugs, even on my 450hp 944 turbo. all that advertisement bullshit about they can last 100,000 kilometers is useless as you change them every service (once a year at least)

For coils if they need replacing. I'd call up Porsche centre melbourne. Each time ive ordered parts from them, they've been very reasonable with prices.  

They should be changed once a year?! really?

Nobody can drive a car and tell you what spark plugs are in it.

The difference is the failure rate and life span.

Aaah, OK, thanks mate. Your initial comment was getting me worried, as if there was a huge performance difference, which seemed odd.

They should be changed once a year?! really?

The owner manual states 60 000 km or 4 years which ever comes first.

I guess I'll be happy to change every 2 years, but more often then that seems to be an overkill, doesn't it?

The OEM plugs are the Bosch FGR5KQE0, Porsche Part Nr 999 170 223 90. So this means that Porsche expects these to last 60 000 km or 4 years, which seems like a really long time!

I'm planning on changing the oil + air/oil filters every year (about 5000-7000 km for me) and probably servicing the plugs every other year. This should be pretty conservative.

The cheapest way by far is the complete service kit from Design 911 from the UK  design911.com

The kits comprise of 6 x spark plugs, oil + air + cabin filters + magnetic drain plug +sump washers, all genuine OM equipment too. The last time I ordered the bill was about $150 delivered - takes about 8 days to your door.

Beru coil packs are listed @ +/- $252 for a set of six, though if the coils are not showing any signs of corrosion on the surface, don't bother replacing them. They don't wear out generally. Just use a little dielectric grease on the rubber boots to aid installation. 

And don't forget the fuel filter - not expensive but a bit of a mongrel to fit.

The cheapest way by far is the complete service kit from Design 911 from the UK  design911.com

The kits comprise of 6 x spark plugs, oil + air + cabin filters + magnetic drain plug +sump washers, all genuine OM equipment too. The last time I ordered the bill was about $150 delivered - takes about 8 days to your door.

Beru coil packs are listed @ +/- $252 for a set of six, though if the coils are not showing any signs of corrosion on the surface, don't bother replacing them. They don't wear out generally. Just use a little dielectric grease on the rubber boots to aid installation. 

And don't forget the fuel filter - not expensive but a bit of a mongrel to fit.

Hey Stephen, many thanks for the good tips! I'll definitely have a look at the maintenance kit from design911 UK, $150 for OEM parts seems to be a great deal.

I'm really interested about the fuel filter. The short story is that I was looking for DIY instructions to change it, but finally came to the conclusion (after reading a couple of posts from different threads/forums) that the fuel filter was designed to last as long as the fuel pump. So it didn't need to be replaced (I think I remember that it is located inside the fuel tank!). This applied to 997 Carrera S MkI and I know it is different for the 997 Turbo MkI, where it is accessible.

So on a 997 Turbo MkI, it seems to be a part you can cange quite easily. It appears that you have a 996 GT3, so maybe it is different for your P-car.

Interested in getting feedback on this point.

Thanks again!

Generally speaking parts are cheaper from he UK, USA or even Germany than here. It is good to support the local businesses, but sometimes it does not make financial sense. Autohaus can be good, BWA in Sydney have also been good, but if you need expensive/ a lot of items I generally go O.S. FCP Euro (US) is a good one and has the cheapest freight of anywhere I have seen.

Generally speaking parts are cheaper from he UK, USA or even Germany than here. It is good to support the local businesses, but sometimes it does not make financial sense. Autohaus can be good, BWA in Sydney have also been good, but if you need expensive/ a lot of items I generally go O.S. FCP Euro (US) is a good one and has the cheapest freight of anywhere I have seen.

Fully agree. I generally go to Porsche Center Melbourne when I can't be bothered to wait for freight. They're OK priced most of the time and the most convenient, as they have good stocks. I'll probably go there to get my oil/air filters as I'll be changing oil as soon as I get the car... Saturday, maybe...! #cantwait  :rolleyes:

Sparesbox.com.au have them for around $22 each. But the Design911 kit sounds like a winner at $150.  I've bought stuff from them a few times - they're good.

Here's all the cross references for the Bosch plug.

Replacement spark plugs for BOSCH FGR5KQE0:

I'm really interested about the fuel filter. The short story is that I was looking for DIY instructions to change it, but finally came to the conclusion (after reading a couple of posts from different threads/forums) that the fuel filter was designed to last as long as the fuel pump. So it didn't need to be replaced (I think I remember that it is located inside the fuel tank!). This applied to 997 Carrera S MkI and I know it is different for the 997 Turbo MkI, where it is accessible.

Interested in getting feedback on this point.

Thanks again!

Frenchy,

You absolutely correct, the 997 fuel filter is attached to the pump in the fuel tank and cannot be replaced - my mistake.

The 986 / 996 versions have their replaceable filter under the chassis rails....

Cost of (labour) doing so esp for mid engined Porsches? 

Free if you do it yourself ! Probably not far from 6 hours of work though if it's the first time you do it - but that's more of a note to myself.

I've read that it's also quite feasible on a 987. I'm guessing that a dealer would charge at least $400 of labour + parts, but I never had that done only.

Free if you do it yourself ! Probably not far from 6 hours of work though if it's the first time you do it - but that's more of a note to myself.

I've read that it's also quite feasible on a 987. I'm guessing that a dealer would charge at least $400 of labour + parts, but I never had that done only.

Yes $400 sounds about right. I paid $700 including installation of brake rotors and pads. I supplied all the parts. 

I would rather someone else install them for me having no experience at wrenching cars. 

jack the car up from the rear. put it on jack stands. remove wheels. theres a cover behind the wheel that gets removed to expose the coils and plugs. remove and replace.

Archived