Halfway meet Drive- Brisbane/ Sydney -overnighter - long weekend

Hi Lads,

Just wanted to say thanks very much for an absolutely outstanding weekend.  I had a blast & managed to rekindle the love affair with my machine. 

Driving roads like the Oxley Hwy, the Waterfall Way & the Armidale Hwy illustrates (to me at least) what the Pcar ownership experience is all about & it showed me that the sometimes exhausting task of bringing a Porsche back from the brink is worth every bit of the expense, time & effort.

I was amazed at how far the car lifted my average abilities & allowed me to keep up (generally) with a pack of great cars & drivers. 

I was wavering & considering buying something newer & “better” but now I think I am in for the long haul (lest an absolutely irresistible Cayman raise its gorgeous head).

Thanks to Brian (from Buddina) for making the initial suggestion for the weekend.  Thanks to Tingy for taking the bit between his teeth & bringing everything together & organising the event.  Thanks to the blokes who travelled long distances to get together & thanks to Dylan for planning a great route down & back.

Finally, to mirror Brian’s (Oz930s) words – it was great to see that the fellas rallied & organised to get a certain 996 back on the road in such short order.  (We need to come up with a standardised PFA sign of distress – so I don’t drive on past again).

We need to organise a similar event every 6 mths or so, cheers fellas I had a really good time.

(& thanks to PeterM for the Honey my wife was very impressed).

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very jealous guys.  I drove my car to its storage location and handed the keys over to the keeper.  Not a happy drive for me.

Definitley make it an annual event and I'll make it one year!

you heading o/s Bruce?  Did you take that US job?

Very jealous guys.  I drove my car to its storage location and handed the keys over to the keeper.  Not a happy drive for me.

Definitley make it an annual event and I'll make it one year!

If you are having second thoughts about the storage  just send it to Newcastle and between a few of us we will take very good care of it, we will drive it once a week, promise.

you heading o/s Bruce?  Did you take that US job?

yes I am gone...I did post a thread about it somewhere.

If you are having second thoughts about the storage  just send it to Newcastle and between a few of us we will take very good care of it, we will drive it once a week, promise.

funnily enough lots of similar offers.

the keeper said he 'won't have much time to drive it'.  We will see what the odo says when I next see it.  

I might add it is sharing shed space with a Ferrari and a race car so maybe it really won't be first choice.

yes I am gone...I did post a thread about it somewhere.

funnily enough lots of similar offers.

the keeper said he 'won't have much time to drive it'.  We will see what the odo says when I next see it.  

I might add it is sharing shed space with a Ferrari and a race car so maybe it really won't be first choice.

Good luck with the new job Bruce & say hi to Trump for us!!

Wayne’s certainly getting a few k’s under the wheels of his 911 this year, Tassie trip and now this ??

And I've enjoyed every km!

Tassie trip ~6000km

Gosford Car Museum trip - 2000km

This trip - 1500km

I've also met a bunch a great guys and had the opportunity to talk about my favourite subject. Life is good!

Gee wiz a weeks past by already and I haven't thanked the hosts!

Jason and Stephen, thank you very much for turning a kernel of an idea into reality!  

Cant say I was convinced it was actually going to go ahead on Saturday morning with the cold drizzly weather at Hexham but by the time we passed Limeburners Creek on Buckets Way I was having good time and that didn't stop until Monday when I pulled back into my driveway.

Thanks to the others for making the weekend easy and amusing at the same time.

Hopefully next time won't be too far off!

PS:  consumed 850ml of oil over 1176km to give 1370km/litre.  Just a bit more than Porsche's limit of 1500.  Valve guides next year I reckon.

Gee wiz a weeks past by already and I haven't thanked the hosts!

Jason and Stephen, thank you very much for turning a kernel of an idea into reality!  

Cant say I was convinced it was actually going to go ahead on Saturday morning with the cold drizzly weather at Hexham but by the time we passed Limeburners Creek on Buckets Way I was having good time and that didn't stop until Monday when I pulled back into my driveway.

Thanks to the others for making the weekend easy and amusing at the same time.

Hopefully next time won't be too far off!

PS:  consumed 850ml of oil over 1176km to give 1370km/litre.  Just a bit more than Porsche's limit of 1500.  Valve guides next year I reckon.

Was a great weekend Peter, I can't wait to get the next one going (or to suggest it to Tingy & have him organise it all:LOL:).

Was a great weekend Peter, I can't wait to get the next one going and this time will be bigger and better than the last, i have some great ideas for the next trip.;)

I will be waiting to book my room.

It's great to see you are already planning the next one Jason, also I'm pretty sure Pete wanted to be involved in organizing this as well because he couldn't wait to get home from the last one to put some ideas on paper.:P

I will be waiting to book my room.

It's great to see you are already planning the next one Jason, also I'm pretty sure Pete wanted to be involved in organizing this as well because he couldn't wait to get home from the last one to put some ideas on paper.:P

Well boys maybe we need to come up with a timeframe & area for the next one.  I will be tied up for the Commonwealth Games but either side of that will be good.  Another 3 day weekend would be good as it gis a bit more relaxed.  That run we did back from Armidale to Grafton was a heap of fun...........road was a bit "rural" but great twists.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived