new to me .... 968

jakroo

As I have alluded to in a few other threads, I've purchased a 1992 968.  It is a metallic black with grey interior and has a tiptronic gearbox.

It has approx 160,000kms on it, and has been driven about 10-11k kms in the past 10 or so years - it's not been driven much.  It was purchased by the previous owner who then spent tens of thousands on mechanical work, new rubber seals and a back to metal respray.

Dreamr, as you may recall mentioned this car in a 944 thread, and a number of comments (dreamr, edgy, steveF and port911) I read in it suggested it may be a contender to allow me to enter the world of Porsche given the current issues in other areas of my world .  I got the number and called.....and called....and called.  No answer over a 2-3 day period and dreamr didn't know what was going on.

It turns out the owners had gone away and the number I was ringing was on the charger at home!  Anyway, I managed to make some contact and they offered me first opportunity to look at it given the situation, so we arranged to meet when they returned. My wife and son accompanied me to the meeting and driving.....it looked good, drove really well and all that we needed to do is decide to spend a chunk of change while unemployed.

I had overnight to think it over before others who had also been wanting to see the car were contacted.  A call to Bruce Buchanan in the morning to discuss what I should do to the car (oils, belts, general once over etc) and I made the call to seal the deal.

Timing to collect it became the next hurdle that took over a week to sort out.  We managed to arrange a meeting at the nearest train station to the owner and after a 3 hour train trip I became the new owner (last Thursday 7/09).  BRRRMMM BRRRMMM all the way down the highway to dreamr's place.  I then spent the next few hours meeting a really great guy and his lovely wife.  Lots of topics were covered in the time including me getting a good buy, his magazine collection, and of course Porsches.

I had to haul arse home to get to a RFS meeting and had to hide it in the shed to keep it a secret from my son.  I also had to resist the urge to drive the curvy Wisemans Ferry Rd from Somersby to home.  I picked up my son from school on the Friday....he was shocked and delighted!

I drove it all over the place on the weekend, and I'm really enjoying it.  I had forgotten the noise of road and engine from cars of previous eras.  Sure, I have a 4wd that is noisy but in this case you also get the waft of mechanical effort, you are very low to the ground and despite the auto box, I can drive it using the gears to shift as my inclination changes.

You can see the car has been well looked after but it has a very limited service history.  I can change that as time goes by.  The paint is black with a special gold flake in it. It's impossible to photograph it but in the light in the flesh so to speak, it looks really fancy.  The cup wheels have also had the spokes painted the same way, and they compliment the car.

It really is a very nice vehicle and I'm enjoying it immensely as is my family.  Gotta go and have a look at it....haven't been out to see it this morning LOL

yes very lovely couple, and sure thing - they can talk!  as can dreamr and his missus.....I can too so that's okay LOL

Thanks!

I did think of you as we were driving up to first see the car on the Sunday.  I drove behind a couple of 92/94 series cars on the way up but none were red.

Awesome! Glad that car found its way onto a member here. 

Im tempted to pick a tipper 968 up as a daily grind, I miss my CS... but it was too nice for daily duties. 

It was your 2 comments in the other post that did me in Edgy ......so make me an offer :Laughter:

yes very lovely couple, and sure thing - they can talk!  as can dreamr and his missus.....I can too so that's okay LOL

Thanks!

I did think of you as we were driving up to first see the car on the Sunday.  I drove behind a couple of 92/94 series cars on the way up but none were red.

Yeah Ronny kept this a bit of a secret from me but all good i'm glad for Wayne that he finally sold it, i will deal with Ronny later:D

It's through forums like this that you learn who your friends really are ... ;)

You're right on that point.  How is the mag collection dissemination going?? LOL

What was the other subject you felt I was siding with your wife when we met last week?

Archived