968 thread

LeeM

Very funny Tingy.......It looks just like my one but it doesn't have the same licence plate :cool07::cool07:.

I've just uploaded some photos of the car.  I washed it and drove it the 160 metres up my drive to the road and parked it on the greenest grass I could find (it's sooooooo dry around here)

Sorry to steal your thunder buddy but we been waiting for these and i had this photo from a car show:D

yeah, I know you have all been waiting patiently. I've wanted to do it but only found the time today to get it right - a clean car and some decent photos.  I had literally just created my Instagram account and uploaded some photos and went in to this thread to load my images and saw you'd beaten me to it!  

• 3 weeks later...

Have had a 1994 968 manual for a couple of years and keep enjoying it more the longer with every drive. Have done waterpump cambelt etc. Should I worry about vario cam chain and pads in a car with 200ks with no mention of them being done before. I and previous owner use Penrite HPR 30 20W-60 and motor goes and sounds perfect.

Good to see thread on 968s as these are such a great car that don't get mentioned a lot.

Just from previous experience & seeing photos of ones that have let go ( big very very expensive mess ) we replace the tiny inexpensive timing chain ( between the cams ) & the 968 only timing chain nylon tensioner guide pads in the following categories }

968 that has been ONLY a road car but unknown previous driver habits / driving styles  , replace every 120,000 Kms  to 140,000 Kms

968 that has done some track ( club days ) but now one knows how many track days , replace as soon as possible & then every 120,000Kms to 140,000 Kms

968 that does mainly track "club days " with very little road kms , then replace every pre emptive head gasket change which all depends on how many track kms are covered & how its treated on the track , meaning how badly its flogged on the track ( all depends on the track driver ) & naturally the track  flogged  968 or any 944 for that matter only gets full metal head gasket

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive     40+ years working on Porsche cars

Thanks for that Bruce. My car fits in first category and looks like this will be next job on the car.

When you say 968 only nylon tensioner pads are there special pads for 968s

Thanks Murray

You will not need a head gasket to remove the cams , you just need the twin cam ( cam cover) perimeter seal / gasket + the spark plug hole seals & the 13 retaining bolt seals & probably the end cap seals etc

The head gasket thing I mentioned is just for track cars , not road cars 

Regards
Bruce B

The word "normally " does not mean much when we very very very rarely replace the timing chain tensioner with a new one , never need to unless its completely destroyed by neglect of the chain & plastic guides , so very rare to replace with a new one 

Are you confusing the chain tensioner with the 968 only cam belt tensioner ?

The word "normally " does not mean much when we very very very rarely replace the timing chain tensioner with a new one , never need to unless its completely destroyed by neglect of the chain & plastic guides , so very rare to replace with a new one 

Are you confusing the chain tensioner with the 968 only cam belt tensioner ?

Thanks Bruce. No not confused. Was just curious whether the chain tensioner has a common wear-related lifespan e.g 300,000km. I know of one or two other shops that recommend replacing the whole tensioner rather than just the plastic guides.

It sounds like the chain and plastic guides are sufficient if the tensioner is still performing satisfactorily.

Archived