I just wanted to say... I've fallen in love

withers

It's called 'f the rich c'

People's perception is such an interesting topic.

Because I own a P-car does that automatically make me rich or wealthy?

Am I immediately elevated in status, either financial or social, because I chose to drive a Porka?

The fact that many of us may have made various sacrifices or worked their a**es of to offset the cost of their car must count for something.

So if I chose to buy a limited release Falcadore, which could easily reach and possibly exceed the cost of my 993, why am I not a "rich c" then?

So I decide to dump let's say $60K on a nice 964. In 5 or 10 years time the 964 has probably maintained it's value if not increased somewhat. The guy that spent the same on the Falcadore has taken a massive dump! Still certainly not rich but now in front.

There is no doubt that to purchase some of the current range of new P-cars, and of course collectable older cars, you need to have some serious coin behind you. Money that has usually been acquired through hard work, investment, opportunity, inheritance etc...

If someone has been fortunate enough to be in this position and decided to buy a Porsche that's fantastic. These are the rewards that many people seek in life.

Anyhow enough of my rant. What would I know. I'm just an average Joe from the Northern suburbs who chooses to own a Porsche and makes sacrifices along the way to have that privilege!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nick987

I agree Theo, sadly, I think most don't see it that way. In some countries, symbols of success are celebrated, here, I experience that alot of the time they are denigrated and vandalized.

It is interesting isn't it the issue of perceptions. Ann and I have owned a porsche for over 10 years now and yet she doesn't want anyone in her family to know and they still don't. She has 5 brothers and sisters (none in Melbourne) . Bit sad really that she feels they would judge her differently.

I also find this interesting. As Theo said above, not only do we have the new Falcodore syndrome... Look at all the other new cars on the road that easily cost the price of a nice 964 ie $50k VWs, Audi, Minis, MX5 s.. All these new cars are easily in that range. So why are they casting dispersions on wealth based on the name Porsche? Years of marketing I presume. It's like the brand Rolex (I'm also into watches) which is a symbol of wealth/luxury and quickly identified as such. I think the average person just assumes a Rolex costs mega bucks. They don't. Porsche (and other brands) are in this same basket.

Isn't it also funny how these same people will look down their noses at a Boxster calling it a poor mans Porsche. Ignorant!

I worked 2 jobs (whilst studying) to buy my first Porsche, took me 5 years to pay off! No tricks, drug dealing or inheritance - just the dividends of hard work and knowing what you want.

It is funny though, my 3yr old son was talking about the cars at school the other day. When I picked him up the teacher laughed and said Archie was talking about you having a Porsche! She looked at me with such surprise when I said "yes, we went hooning on the weekend together".......................Its so great that he loves it too!

It's called 'f the rich c'

so true, i had a guy in a Daihatsu Charade (remember those old 3 cylinder things) do a u-turn right infront of me, i had to hit the brakes hard not to t-bone him!! I bipped and flashed my lights and that was that, he slammed on the brakes and started on me. So as a hot blooded young guy who loves his car, i threw a few f words his way, well that was that.. he lost it, called me a Porsche driving c*&t! abused me for being a rich c*&t and i didnt own the roads.. He actually wanted to kill me, i couldnt help but laugh which just seemed to make him angrier.. it was at the point i had to get out to protect my car and myself but all the cars behind started to bip and he got in his car and drove off.

all because i was driving a 911.. go figure

Guest Nick987

Hugh, agreed. I ain't no meth cook, haven't got a string of mobile labs...have worked really hard for 15 years building my business and ended up where I am from hard work and alot of sacrifice. Mostly sacrificed time with my family. Others don't know what I have been through and assume. My own family even altered their perception when I bought one. Cost 50k! Love that your little guy loves it too!

Amanda, if you put down 80k for a new ford gt or holden gts, you are an Aussie battler come good and a hero. Do the same with a P and you are a wanker and a f'in rich prick.

Chris, I know exactly where Ann is coming from. When I started out I drove a clapped out 15 year old Volvo with no heating. Thought if I couldn't get performance with my $3k budget I would go for safety. Hid that thing from every client carpark! I smirk now at the irony of not parking my car in client carparks incase they think I am overcharging them because I can afford a P. Very few of my clients know I drive one and fewer (maybe 2 or 3) have seen it.

Perceptions are everything. Even logic doesn't trump perception.

We live under a cloud of envy in this country because the 'haves' are somehow demonized. It is strange. Why our tall poppy syndrome is so prevalent and strong.

I don't care, I prefer to keep it under the radar as much as I can...

Guest Nick987

I was once sitting at the lights with the top down one afternoon and a couple of idiots walked past and threw out the 'hairdresser's car' line loud enough for me to hear it. I thought, what is the point? Why put someone down for the car they drive? Same reason my door got gouged at the Coles car park and my car got stolen.

If I can't have one, I want the guy that does to suffer or better yet, I'll just take it.

Have no time or sympathy for people that think like this.

Guest Nick987

so true, i had a guy in a Daihatsu Charade (remember those old 3 cylinder things) do a u-turn right infront of me, i had to hit the brakes hard not to t-bone him!! I bipped and flashed my lights and that was that, he slammed on the brakes and started on me. So as a hot blooded young guy who loves his car, i threw a few f words his way, well that was that.. he lost it, called me a Porsche driving c*&t! abused me for being a rich c*&t and i didnt own the roads.. He actually wanted to kill me, i couldnt help but laugh which just seemed to make him angrier.. it was at the point i had to get out to protect my car and myself but all the cars behind started to bip and he got in his car and drove off.

all because i was driving a 911.. go figure

Not surprised. I gave up 'defending my honour' after a few incidents like that in my previous car. I don't bother now. No tooting. No flashing or automotive hackle raising. I just stop and wait and look at the idiot parade. Honking horn etc just works against me in the P. Driving the Territory is a whole different experience, no one is disrespectful or nasty, honking isn't the go bell for a round and everyone just gets on with their road rage in a calm and civilized manner without it devolving into defcon 1.

Not surprised. I gave up 'defending my honour' after a few incidents like that in my previous car. I don't bother now. No tooting. No flashing or automotive hackle raising. I just stop and wait and look at the idiot parade. Honking horn etc just works against me in the P. Driving the Territory is a whole different experience, no one is disrespectful or nasty, honking isn't the go bell for a round and everyone just gets on with their road rage in a calm and civilized manner without it devolving into defcon 1.

In maybe the first month of GTI ownership, I was tearing around in it quite a bit. Then I had a bit of a road rage altercation. I was driving along Gordon St in Footscray. I'd pulled into the left lane at lights, rounded up a few slower cars (all within the speed limit) then popped on my indicator to go back into the right lane, as soon as I've done that.. this guy has just immediately filled the gap I was about to go into.. so I jammed on the breaks, and then the horn. That really pissed him off... he deliberately got behind me, tail gated me and flashing his lights. So we turn left to head towards the CBD.. he slows right down.. at this point I'm wondering what on earth he's going to do.. so I drop it into 2nd and take off past him. Just as I do that I hear this almighty BANG.. scared the crap out of me. Got myself home as quickly as possible. I realised later he lent out his window and gave my left mirror a huge hit.

Since then, I'm more careful about how I drive it and I've not had another issue like that. I think Nick makes a lot of sense. If I do buy a P, I think I'll just have to take a far more sensible approach to how I drive and not draw any unnecessary attention to myself.

I had a country yokel in a farm ute repeatedly brake test me, swerve at me and try to run me off the road near Ballarat years ago on a narrow back road simply as I was in my porka. Finally passed him on the left in the dirt after outsmarting him and drove away.

Couple of name calling incidents as well. But Amanda, I’ve had far more pleasurable and exiting times in my Porsches than bad ones.

Get that 964.

Guest Nick987

Hey Amanda, I have found the following really works when commuting in traffic...I drive really patient, slow, courteous, leave everyone and everything merge in front of me, wave, smile...all the things people out there expect I won't do as a P driver and it discombobulates their brain and makes things easy for me. I don't criticize, merge, cut off, accelerate and brake hard, toot, honk, dip lights etc. unless to avoid an accident. Usually have an easy time unless faced with a falcodore on P plates (usually a VN) wanting to show they can do whatever I can do but for 2 grand. :D

THEN...on weekends...

https://vimeo.com/44725588

Hey Amanda, I have found the following really works when commuting in traffic...I drive really patient, slow, courteous, leave everyone and everything merge in front of me, wave, smile...all the things people out there expect I won't do as a P driver and it discombobulates their brain and makes things easy for me. I don't criticize, merge, cut off, accelerate and brake hard, toot, honk, dip lights etc. unless to avoid an accident. Usually have an easy time unless faced with a falcodore on P plates (usually a VN) wanting to show they can do whatever I can do but for 2 grand. :D

THEN...on weekends...

https://vimeo.com/44725588

You all make perfect sense!

Love the vid.... Oh and a bit of classic Icehouse!

If you want to lose your cool in traffic ride a motorbike for a day. People lane changing into your lane ( your still in it) , sudden breaking, not seeing you at traffic lights stopes so they nudge the back of you etc- almost on a daily basis it's a close call.

I generally worry about peak hour traffic and some idiot running up the back of me in low speed as they were texting. Not so much a big accident however the inconvenience and knowledge of your car bang dented

I saw the second advert for this car yesterday. It's really weird.. one is a private sale at the cheaper price, the other says its a dealer advert. Both say they can offer finance.. so sounds like both have been listed by the dealer. I wonder if maybe it's a consignment sale... mere speculation

Archived