Germany & Belgium Motorsport adventures

DJM

I was back at the Benz museum today (twice in 1 week!) - the supplier I am now on tour with worked this in to the itinerary as a "surprise activity".  This time we had a tour guide which I highly recommend, we got a  hell of a lot more out of it than self guided tour last week.

heres a sneak peak inside including the amazing tornado generator to expel smoke in the event of fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bookend the adventure, here's in car video of the second session of my GT3 experience at Spa.  Not particularly quick, I only did 10 laps in total so I was still learning car, track and instructor inputs and keeping A$150k excess in sharp focus!

Bucket list TICK. I can absolutely emphatically recommend it and you need a fast car for the long straights (I saw around 240 end of Kemmell straight).  One of the best days I've ever had behind the wheel.  Over too soon.

Good marshalling it seems.  Why were you under a red flag for the last lap?  A bit of a heart starter at the bottom of the hill at the beginning of the second lap when you went wide.  Even I went whoa and my wife said what's up?  I bet you had a 150,000 reasons to back off a bit at that point.  Looks like a great deal of fun though.

Hey, for a Spa newbie, you did well. It’s not any easy track. You can get into a lot trouble even if you are only 1 metre off the right turn in point on some corners. I saw a brand new GT3.2 get totalled at Pouhon only a few minutes Beth’s ago...and it was a Porsche rental. So it’s wise to be conservative first time out..and it doesn’t detract from the experience.

23 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Good marshalling it seems.  Why were you under a red flag for the last lap?  A bit of a heart starter at the bottom of the hill at the beginning of the second lap when you went wide.  Even I went whoa and my wife said what's up?  I bet you had a 150,000 reasons to back off a bit at that point.  Looks like a great deal of fun though.

Red flag was for a guy who dropped coolant from turn 1 all the way down to the entry to Eau Rouge. 

We did a track walk prior - at Eau Rouge and Radillon they pointed out all the skid marks and wall impacts.  So yep, when I buggered up the Eau rouge entry and then was struggled to turn right at Radillon, i ran wide over the kerbs, doesn't look much in the video but it was a genuine FAAARK moment.  Thankfully I remembered "if you get the entry wrong, open the steering and drive over the left kerb.  If you try and turn in you might spin and hit the wall backwards".  

Coolant on the track at Eau Rouge, jaysus that brings back bad memories. This is my mate back in 2005, same place, different outcome and on his cool down lap so not pushing at all. I was half a lap in front of him having overtaken the kit car that dropped the coolant. Another friend was behind him and saw the fluid on his way up so managed to avoid it, sadly the Honda Prelude behind them didn’t and was comprehensively destroyed, hitting Rich’s Caterham as he got out, giving him 2 broken ribs in the process.

He managed to get the circuits cctv footage before going off to hospital

https://youtu.be/PQIhXrrk1_E

38 minutes ago, DJM said:

^^ ouch, that happened so easily and the guy behind really made a bad situation a lot worse.  Wow.

Yup, we all know each other as well, which made it all the harder for the Honda driver.

Archived