3.2 to 3.4 Swap or 3.2 Rebuild?

80XTR

Hi everyone,

I've got a healthy and strong pulling 3.2L in a 2002 Boxster S that has the beginning signs of worn rings or guides (I'm thinking guides as its just a bit of smoke on startup and it isn't AOS). I was going to tackle the project of rebuilding the 3.2L engine, after having completed an IMS and AOS, I'm thinking the tear down and inspection and overall rebuild is something I should be able to tackle. I've completed a few engine rebuilds before, so not overly put off other than the dreaded 4,5 & 6 connecting-rod-to-pin-piston assembly!

Anyway, thinking about looking at the 3.6 or 3.4 engine swap from a 996 and wanted to know where I could source a reasonable low klms 996 engine and if anyone has experience in doing that - don't just point me to the Inter-web as I'm keen to talk to someone down-under if possible.

I've read that the DME tune/map upgrade for the 3.4 is the most painless, but the 3.6 will require handling the VarioCam+ using some clever controller box (not sure how successful or straight forward that would be).

Thoughts? Any recommendations on places that are wrecking 996 engines?

G

If you have a healthy and strong engine that just blows a little smoke on startup, sounds like valve stem seals to me, which should be fairly simple to fix.... unless you really want more power? How many km on current engine?

...which should be fairly simple to fix.... unless you really want more power? How many km on current engine?

Yes, I'm thinking it is a top-end job too, but like most things, you won't know until it is open to be sure. It has 145K but looks like most of the use was kind as the wear on everything else looks really minor for a 2002 car. 

My thinking was that if I'm going to pull out and down the stock engine, why not consider a 3.4 or 3.6 and go for gold ?? (depends on $$$ I guess)

Have sent Fitzgeralds an email and will let you all know what the response is.... I'm expecting the project will get crazy expensive, but who knows, might surprise myself as I'm always up for fabricobling things !!

Why not go full hog and put in a 3.8L instead?

One of the challenges with any engine swap, is ensuring the engine computer can handle the changes, and swapping such a late model engine into such an early model car isn't going to be anywhere easy or straightforward. Even just figuring out how to handle the VarioCam Plus when my engine only had VarioCam will require some additional engine management controller to ensure it is smooth and driveable.

The easy swap is the 3.4L and most of the changes are DIY - everything just plugs in and an update of the engine computer maps and you're done.

After that, the 3.6L is pretty much the same, but with the addition of how to handle the VarioCam Plus.

A 3.8L I would expect is another set of challenges again with space, different wiring/connectors and probably accessories being different. So not something I'd look to tackle without a lot more information on what the differences are and how others had tackled them.

If anyone knows more or has found some stuff that can help, please continue to let me know :-) 

One of the challenges with any engine swap, is ensuring the engine computer can handle the changes, and swapping such a late model engine into such an early model car isn't going to be anywhere easy or straightforward. Even just figuring out how to handle the VarioCam Plus when my engine only had VarioCam will require some additional engine management controller to ensure it is smooth and driveable.

The easy swap is the 3.4L and most of the changes are DIY - everything just plugs in and an update of the engine computer maps and you're done.

After that, the 3.6L is pretty much the same, but with the addition of how to handle the VarioCam Plus.

A 3.8L I would expect is another set of challenges again with space, different wiring/connectors and probably accessories being different. So not something I'd look to tackle without a lot more information on what the differences are and how others had tackled them.

If anyone knows more or has found some stuff that can help, please continue to let me know :-) 

I’m also investigating 3.8l conversion to 986S at the moment. Seems easiest option is to go Motec or similar route rather than  deal with all the issues of factory DME swaps etc. Can dial in additional performance as a side bonus. I’ll put up some costings  once I get that far, although may be less concerning as a “non costed” excersize and just pay the bills as they come in and forget the final calculation. ? 

There is a heap of information in 101 Projects if you haven’t seen as yet. 

Archived