1987 944 Turbo Suspension Upgrades

Oldskl60

Hi Guys

My uncle purchased a white 1987 944 turbo a couple months back and has started to play with it a little.  We’ve gone the ‘baby steps’ (just wanting a street car that can do a club event once or twice a year) LR route with A-Map, fuel reg, boost enhancer and WG shims.  We have been impressed with the results but as usually it highlights other areas that need attending too.  

We have new Koni yellow adjustible shocks to fit (front and rear) and while we are at it we think it needs some firmer front springs and possibly larger sway bars.

Has anyone got a set of heavier springs or s/bars lying around they’d like to sell?  

We are also chasing the following to help finish it off if anyone has anything they’d part with:
- Rear bumper tow hook plug
- middle elbow for alternator duct (last bend before the alternator shroud)
- 2x black centre console switch deletes
- turbo air box or just top lid
- wastegate bracket (around torque tube

Any advice or assistance greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Tom

4 hours ago, Timm said:

My airbox and wastegate bracket will be available soon (in a month or two) after I convert to standalone ecu and after market wastegate...if you haven't gotten anything by then. 

Thanks Timm, that sounds great!

In case you decide to purchase directly from Porsche, these part numbers might help for a couple of those cheap items. They're on my 'to buy' list too.

Rear tow hook cover - 951.505.349.00

Centre console switch blank - 944-613-259-02-1DB 

12 hours ago, 9fan said:

If you don't mind after market and black - Clark Rubber has a rubber body plug that fits.

Cheers, Mark.

Good to know Mark, thank you I’ll check it out.

8 hours ago, OzJustin said:

In case you decide to purchase directly from Porsche, these part numbers might help for a couple of those cheap items. They're on my 'to buy' list too.

Rear tow hook cover - 951.505.349.00

Centre console switch blank - 944-613-259-02-1DB 

Thanks Justin!

6 hours ago, Pauly said:

This is the most common sway bar upgrade. It's common because it's the best sway bar upgrade you can do for a street car.

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944SWAYMO30.html

After that, you'll be looking at these

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944SWAYBARTARETT.html

Pauly sounds like the MO30 is the way to go although the tarrets look damn hot (just not the path for this car).  Thanks for the feedback. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Weltmeister adjustable front sway bar (like attached pic) which I have been running on my car for ages. I'm contemplating selling it to offset the $1300 cost of bringing in a light weight Tarret front sway bar.WeltSway1.jpg

Hi Kelly,

We have fitted a few of those Tarrett sway bars and can attest there is nothing light about them. They are just as heavy if not a little more then those aftermarket solid 30mm units. The best unit i have seen was made by Paul at evolution motorsport for Patricks time attack car, It was a hollow bar with blade ends. message Patrick and see if he has any pictures

Regards

Sean

13 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

Hi Kelly,

We have fitted a few of those Tarrett sway bars and can attest there is nothing light about them. They are just as heavy if not a little more then those aftermarket solid 30mm units. The best unit i have seen was made by Paul at evolution motorsport for Patricks time attack car, It was a hollow bar with blade ends. message Patrick and see if he has any pictures

Regards

Sean

Hey Sean, 

Thanks for that very significant tip. I'd have been pretty unhappy to discover that the hard way. 

Cheers

Kelly

15 hours ago, Kelly said:

I have a Weltmeister adjustable front sway bar (like attached pic) which I have been running on my car for ages. I'm contemplating selling it to offset the $1300 cost of bringing in a light weight Tarret front sway bar.WeltSway1.jpg

Thanks Kelly, we haven't found anything yet so I will PM you!

Archived