924 - Will they ever be worth anything?

10 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Have heard that before by a friend who has missed a couple of cars, and it's B.S! Set an end time and that's it. You snooze, you lose. Man I hate the way these auction plonkers do business

As a buyer, I totally agree .... as a seller, bring on the rolling 10 minutes! ..;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@flamingporsche

Did you do the wide body conversion?

I'm interested in the front bumper details. It seems more integrated into the front wings and under the bumper than my 1988 944S. 

Here is another one which says its got the Carrera GT body kit

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sunrise-beach/cars-vans-utes/1977-porsche-924/1172635271

which has as nice integrated front bumper. anyone doing the Carrera GT tribute and recently bought & installed one of these front assemblies? I assume these are fibreglass and not a polyurethane material.

2 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@flamingporsche

Did you do the wide body conversion?

I'm interested in the front bumper details. It seems more integrated into the front wings and under the bumper than my 1988 944S. 

Here is another one which says its got the Carrera GT body kit

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sunrise-beach/cars-vans-utes/1977-porsche-924/1172635271

which has as nice integrated front bumper. anyone doing the Carrera GT tribute and recently bought & installed one of these front assemblies? I assume these are fibreglass and not a polyurethane material.

Hi Brian,

No, the body kit was installed well before I bought it.  I did have the receipts which I passed on to the next owner (who bought the car from the insurer).  I recall it being something like $8-10k back in the late 80s so was quite an expensive exercise (that was for the whole car being done tho).  

It was fibreglass - and very low.  I broke & repaired & re-repaired the lower lip several times.  The fit/integration with the rest of the car was excellent and I had removed & refit the bumper many times over doing brakes / suspension / radiator / fibreglass repairs for failing to navigate another steep driveway or gutter :unsure:

Edit: that red 924 with "MAD 924" plates used to live down the road from me.  Don't know the owner, but was always parked on the driveway/street so was no shrinking violet.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 90s, the 914 was the Porsche that no one loved. They were all badly maintained, and many ultimately wrecked. A very good one could have been bought for $5k.

Look at the price of those now.

The 924 has a racing heritage. It was the first front engined and water cooled Porsche. The 40th anniversary, and Porsche, and the press have given the 924 a great deal of exposure of late.

Five years ago, the 924 was the Porsche that no one loved. They were all badly maintained, and many ultimately wrecked. A very good one could have been bought for $5k.

You might get a runner for $5k now, but it won't be a good one.

On 21 February 2018 at 8:59 PM, bear924 said:

None of these cars are still on Gumtree, so perhaps there's some life in the 924 market. 

Red ' Carrera ' back for sale 

Brown 'Carrera' I bought. a month back. Same  one that surfaced 3? Years ago  near Newie and owned by 3-4 others since.  This if not having the kit fitted  and door speakers, would have been one of the cleanest 924's I've seen in awhile. Probably cause it sat unused in a shed for 12-13 years. But in 1989 someone loved it enough to spend approx 17k doing the conversion. Best thing is the big baby borbets... So now looking for turbo engine and box etc or supercharger set up . Anyone got some parts or know of let me know please.

Factory PU body parts for Carrera and GTS?  , though the gtr/p etc were factory glass parts 

collectible - rare - desirable ? Quite  a few turbos and super clean n/a's are quietly sitting in multi car collections and many more ( relative) appear to be returning back to the road... So there is love for the 924, not so much here , though interest appears to have grown at about the same pace as my 'Carrera' in 1st or 4th... O/s huge love,  restored, tweaked , raced , engine swapped etc and N/a or turbo alike getting reasonable money.

Of 70's turbo tech and production cars of the period, putting aside a 930, list what was available?

It seems to me that most 924 owners of this forum have them as a second or third Porsche. Not many first time Porsche owners buying 924s these days. Even on 924board, an increasing number of new owners already have a 911 or two, just looking for a different feel classic Porsche. Most seem to become quite smitten.

Suspect when some nicely restored examples start turning up at cars and coffee, others might want to grab a bargain... until they are no longer a bargain!

9 minutes ago, bear924 said:

It seems to me that most 924 owners of this forum have them as a second or third Porsche. Not many first time Porsche owners buying 924s these days. Even on 924board, an increasing number of new owners already have a 911 or two, just looking for a different feel classic Porsche. Most seem to become quite smitten.

Suspect when some nicely restored examples start turning up at cars and coffee, others might want to grab a bargain... until they are no longer a bargain!

I seem to fall into that category exactly ... and boy am I smitten!

I seem to take out the 924T more often than the 911 and I push it that little harder each time ....

That turbo rush is almost impossible to replicate and for an 80's car, it's insane! I reckon the only better feeling from a period car would be a 944T with the bigger engine .... but my gutsy 2.0L has bitten me hard! I love that it's a series 1 and that it's the rarest of the 3 year production .... that what makes it special to me. Those fluorescent green gauges ... mmmmm  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mine will eventually be restored and I look forward to others drooling over it, both at car shows and on the street, but for the moment I love the fact that it's as raw and unrestored as they come ... hell, I drive it covered in dust and imagine what other drivers are saying ...

Series 1 924T .... Guards Red with B&W Pasha interior ..... heaven on earth!!! 

On 26 February 2018 at 10:35 PM, bear924 said:

Would totally agree bear924 and yes I'm another that falls into this category . The 924 was my first foray into restoring a car  and due to its simplicity it gave me confidence to have a go at most of the work required.

Was it cost effective?......Totaly not but fun still lingers long after the cost is forgotten.

1 hour ago, Rod C said:

Would totally agree bear924 and yes I'm another that falls into this category . The 924 was my first foray into restoring a car  and due to its simplicity it gave me confidence to have a go at most of the work required.

Was it cost effective?......Totaly not but fun still lingers long after the cost is forgotten.

This made me smile. Using man maths my engine rebuild probably cost about $10k (I could have done much cheaper however did some improvements along the way).  No way I'll ever get that back so that means I'll probably never sell.

3 hours ago, bear924 said:

This made me smile. Using man maths my engine rebuild probably cost about $10k (I could have done much cheaper however did some improvements along the way).  No way I'll ever get that back so that means I'll probably never sell.

"924 will they be worth anything?"

Priceless

you created a family heirloom 

Not sure 

On 28/02/2018 at 10:47 AM, bear924 said:

Do share the improvements 

I’m looking for a turbo motor and box or will consider forged internals and supercharge the n/a

turbo swap simpler 

On 26/02/2018 at 10:59 PM, michel said:

I know one guy who is looking for an immaculate N/A... AUTO ... Anyone got one

There was a schmik looking one for sale about a year back in the dandenong ranges down here. 

If not auto I would have grabbed it.

Don't know where it went though...

4 hours ago, michel said:

Do share the improvements 

Installed a big valve kit and a more aggressive cam. Rebuilt turbo charger with a billet wheel to tighten tolerances to improve efficiency. Have a water to air intercooler that I plan to install in the next few months. Also decreased compression ratio by installing a thicker head gasket, with the plan to increase boost.

Thinking at the moment that the compression reduction may have been a mistake as the car is sluggish until boost hits, however it will allow for the boost to be increased more (currently running stock boost) so I'll reserve my judgement until I've finished the final build.  Leaning towards installing a FrankenCIS to help manage AFR (and maybe timing in time) as I currently measure AFR and it's not ideal.

Have driven about 5000 km since engine rebuild, nearing the end of engine run in and shake down period, gaining confidence that nearly ready for next stage. Unfortunately my surge pipes on the turbo (between turbo and block) seems to have a small hole that generate a small oil leak. Thought leak was from the flexible pipes and had those replaced, didn't actually test metal piping however believe leak from there. Turbo is also not sealed correctly which is changing my AFR between cold start and hot run... so will need to send turbo away again to get this sorted.  

Major issues identified during rebuild was a badly bent conrod and the fact the rubber dampening on the clutch was no longer support the clutch. Scary as I'd been driving on the limp home tab for quite a few years.

Engine has all new rubber hoses, all new fuel lines and all new water hoses. Also cleaned and blasted all engine component and refreshed anything that I could refresh. Engine bay looks much nicer now.

On 02/03/2018 at 11:57 PM, bear924 said:

Installed a big valve kit and a more aggressive cam. Rebuilt turbo charger with a billet wheel to tighten tolerances to improve efficiency. Have a water to air intercooler that I plan to install in the next few months. Also decreased compression ratio by installing a thicker head gasket, with the plan to increase boost.

Thinking at the moment that the compression reduction may have been a mistake as the car is sluggish until boost hits, however it will allow for the boost to be increased more (currently running stock boost) so I'll reserve my judgement until I've finished the final build.  Leaning towards installing a FrankenCIS to help manage AFR (and maybe timing in time) as I currently measure AFR and it's not ideal.

Have driven about 5000 km since engine rebuild, nearing the end of engine run in and shake down period, gaining confidence that nearly ready for next stage. Unfortunately my surge pipes on the turbo (between turbo and block) seems to have a small hole that generate a small oil leak. Thought leak was from the flexible pipes and had those replaced, didn't actually test metal piping however believe leak from there. Turbo is also not sealed correctly which is changing my AFR between cold start and hot run... so will need to send turbo away again to get this sorted.  

Major issues identified during rebuild was a badly bent conrod and the fact the rubber dampening on the clutch was no longer support the clutch. Scary as I'd been driving on the limp home tab for quite a few years.

Engine has all new rubber hoses, all new fuel lines and all new water hoses. Also cleaned and blasted all engine component and refreshed anything that I could refresh. Engine bay looks much nicer now.

I’m glad someone asked ???

me thinks I need to come have a squiz 

Archived