924 - Will they ever be worth anything?

19 minutes ago, 901er said:

This thread will be fun to read again in 15yrs time..

Kinda like the "What's for sale in Australia" thread where the aircooled 911's were discussed as being expensive at $20k - $30k ..... ahhhhh the memories.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Kinda like the "What's for sale in Australia" thread where the aircooled 911's were discussed as being expensive at $20k - $30k ..... ahhhhh the memories.

Well they were and are, talking about old cars and being expensive to maintain, sheesh!

A few external reference points:

https://collectorscarworld.com/news/porsche-924/

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1705/top-6-porsches-you-can-still-afford

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/considering-a-front-engined-classic-porsche-you-better-be-quick

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2014/09/Believe-The-Badge---1976-1982-Porsche-924/3741691.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-26/a-vintage-porsche-for-less-than-10-000-it-s-a-great-investment-too

Quotes from the Bloomberg article (Ja18)  that jumped out at me:

In fact, the vintage 924 is the most affordable Porsche vehicle currently listed on the Hagerty price guide, with one in good condition commanding an average value of $7,200, up 22 percent from January 2017. The only Porsche model with a higher rate of increase over the same period is the 911 made from 1974 to 1977, with average values of $22,000, $44,000, and up, depending on the year.

What’s more, the 924 has the highest ratio (3 to 2) of millennial-to-baby boomer quote requests for any Porsche vehicle on Hagerty. That means more young people are asking about them than retirees—an indication they’ll be in demand for the long term.  

Maybe I should go buy another one??

If anyone is looking to buy a 924 if you take a look on grays online they have got two 924's for sale,the one that is showing 74000 miles as they have listed it is if you check on Duttons website is the one they are trying to sell for $25000.maybe someone could get it for a good price.

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

If anyone is looking to buy a 924 if you take a look on grays online they have got two 924's for sale,the one that is showing 74000 miles as they have listed it is if you check on Duttons website is the one they are trying to sell for $25000.maybe someone could get it for a good price.

The 1981 924 looks like its in great condition, and it has A/C and the five speed box. Only concern I would have is the fact it's a UK import. 

The other 924 is US import so has been converted and also has the lower powered engine (and possibly four speed box... don't buy one with four speed). I'd probably leave that one alone.

2 hours ago, bear924 said:

The 1981 924 looks like its in great condition, and it has A/C and the five speed box. Only concern I would have is the fact it's a UK import. 

The other 924 is US import so has been converted and also has the lower powered engine (and possibly four speed box... don't buy one with four speed). I'd probably leave that one alone.

The 1981 car is in fantastic shape - the dash is perfect and the interior is very clean.  I reckon it's a fair bet to say that it will be as good mechanically as the body/interior already appears, therefore it could be a bargain buy (at the right price).  Plenty of books / receipts too :wub:

Who wants to guess what it will go for? 

2 minutes ago, flamingporsche said:

The 1981 car is in fantastic shape - the dash is perfect and the interior is very clean.  I reckon it's a fair bet to say that it will be as good mechanically as the body/interior already appears, therefore it could be a bargain buy (at the right price).  Plenty of books / receipts too :wub:

I do not need another car ... I do not need another car ... I do not need another car ...

On 27/01/2018 at 10:00 PM, flamingporsche said:

$16109 + fees. I logged on yesterday arv all excited to put a bid in and it was already over my 12k limit ?

My brother had a good nibble at this car yesterday, was high bidder at $15109.00 with no time on the clock and they go and add a bloody time extension.!

Whats the go with that.?  

1 hour ago, WOKA said:

My brother had a good nibble at this car yesterday, was high bidder at $15109.00 with no time on the clock and they go and add a bloody time extension.!

Whats the go with that.?  

What the?? That's B.S mate

The way they work is if there are any bids at all in the last 10 minutes, the auction is extended by a rolling 10 minutes .... it is so that they can get as much money as they can for the item and there is no sniping ... it's amazing how many people have a limit and then go just that little bit over when they've had 7 minutes to think about it.

The worst part is when you are the highest bidder with 1 minute to go and then someone places a bid .... back up to 10 minutes time  ...

3 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

The way they work is if there are any bids at all in the last 10 minutes, the auction is extended by a rolling 10 minutes .... it is so that they can get as much money as they can for the item and there is no sniping ... it's amazing how many people have a limit and then go just that little bit over when they've had 7 minutes to think about it.

The worst part is when you are the highest bidder with 1 minute to go and then someone places a bid .... back up to 10 minutes time  ...

It sounds foreign and unfair but is actually more in line with a real life auction.....

On 01/02/2018 at 10:54 AM, Dreamr said:

Have heard that before by a friend who has missed a couple of cars, and it's B.S! Set an end time and that's it. You snooze, you lose. Man I hate the way these auction plonkers do business

Archived