Bathurst 12 hour

LeeM

I was sitting there watching the stream....big bingle....attended a nappy change....return to couch & it's allover.  Sad way to end & I was hoping the Porsche would come home strong with fuel - must admit I enjoy the maths/strategy part almost as much as the actual racing but the likelihood of a race ending in that fashion is pretty low.  There's always next year....(& I hope to finally get there).

They certainly got some mileage out of replaying that crash though. One of the most brutal crashes I've seen. I was just relieved both drivers came out of it okay. I think both were lucky to be in LHD vehicles which meant the passenger side took the brunt of the impact in both instances. Watching Pat Long drive the lap with Webber he was saying they're in fifth gear as they come through there so that gives a sense of how much of a high speed crash it was.

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@Andy73 Think the commentators said the data logger was at 201kph went John Martin hit him. Reckon he'll have some sore ribs and neck today!

Ah right on - at this point in the day i was at a barbecue so i was keeping one eye on the screen with little to no volume.  That's bloody hairy!

Guy I compete with in the supersprint series in his mid 40,s relatively fit guy had a lose on turn one at SMSP at around 190 kph huge impact scary stuff  .........car bounced of the inside wall a few times did a huge amount of car damage and then took off into the infield ,,,,Driver was ok got out and checked out fine at the track medical center ...

.48 hrs after the crash  he woke up in a world of hurt could hardly move his arms legs and neck and was freaking out at the massive bruising from the belts ....Wife some how got him in the car and took him to the local hospital ,,,,Doctors did x rays and checked him over and told him the pain , bruising and lack of mobility was due to his muscles and tendons being stretched and strained under the very high G forces he was subjected too in the crash and that the swelling would go down in a few days and to take it easy ..

apparently this is common in high speed  impact accidents and it really is astonishing the punishment the human body can take when it is strapped in properly ..

There have been a number of heavy hits at the top of the mountain like the incident on the weekend over the years and most have walked away ,,,,you could certainly bet that those drivers will be pretty sore in the days to come ,,as that was one hell of an impact ..

I was u a Mcphillamy too the crash happened in front of where we were sitting..scary stuff. I too was annoyed at the result surely they could have held them for a few minutes while the swept the debris then run behind the safety car? I dunno, biased too I guess Matt Campbell was in the box seat - the others all due to run out of fuel. We were camping near the old stone cottage - took a wander around Friday night saw some of the PFA boys but no-one I recognised were the rest of you out on the town?

4 hours ago, Barks said:

We were camping near the old stone cottage - took a wander around Friday night saw some of the PFA boys but no-one I recognised were the rest of you out on the town?

We weren't far from there. I presume you saw our cars? Friday night we were around, from what I can recall.

Archived