The end of diesel from Porsche??

ANF

Reported today

https://www.motoring.com.au/porsche-axes-diesel-from-line-up-111187/

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1802/porsche-dumps-diesel-from-entire-model-range

The Macan S diesel has already stopped production apparently as software issues  meant that there were still some "cheat" codes in it..... Porsche not happy with Audi and reportedly was trying to suit them for 200 million euro :blink:

2 hours ago, ANF said:

. Porsche not happy with Audi and reportedly was trying to suit them for 200 million euro :blink:

https://www.bnn.ca/porsche-seeks-us-234m-from-audi-over-tampered-diesel-engines-report-1.877646

2nd hand diesel Porsches , Toorak tractors included ,  will have depreciated to $0 in 5 years' time.

The 50s Porsche  tractors will of course appreciate

"A spokesman for Porsche said VW group-internal issues were not meant for public discussion, without elaborating. Audi declined comment and referred inquiries to Porsche."

5 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

https://www.bnn.ca/porsche-seeks-us-234m-from-audi-over-tampered-diesel-engines-report-1.877646

2nd hand diesel Porsches , Toorak tractors included ,  will have depreciated to $0 in 5 years' time.

4 hours ago, tazzieman said:

That's good, will be able to get a diesel Macan or Cayenne for a great price then...  Can't see me wanted a tractor so all good ☺

Yeah but no butt ;)

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/855691/car-tax-fine-diesel-petrol-London-UK-toxin-pollution

“In London over 9,000 Londoners die each year because of the poor quality air.

“There are children in parts of London whose lungs are under developed and there are 438 school in areas where the are is illegal."

Taxes will happen here , as they have with death sticks ciggies.

Especially in clean green Tassy!

50 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Yeah but no butt ;)

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/855691/car-tax-fine-diesel-petrol-London-UK-toxin-pollution

“There are children in parts of London whose lungs are under developed and there are 438 school in areas where the are is illegal."

Now to reduce the even bigger problem of particulates from tyre wear. Electric vehicles and hybrids are the big sinners with the low down torque. They will need to be artificially throttled back to the pace of an 80s Corolla. Being ringside when the wonder cars of the future get attacked  will be interesting.

11 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Yeah but no butt ;)

I so despise this type of rubbish statistics.  Show me the corpses.

Yes London has poor air quality.  It also has diesel buses belching their way everywhere.  The particulate concentration in the tube is off the charts.

diesels suck for the most part but let’s not get carried away.  When they fit particulate filters to container ships I will start listening.

If they do this, and make all SUVs electric or hybrid, it'll keep more options open on engines for the sports cars a while longer so this would be a really good thing for us if true.

Side note: Just a stat I love to chuck around, there are approximately 1100 cruise ships in the world, those 1100 ships spew as much pollution as 1/3 of the global car and truck fleet. There are currently 52000+ merchant vessels, and of those 11000 are bulk carriers. 99% of them burning bunker fuel. 

Why are we bothering with transforming an entire industry (cars and trucks) that only contributes 7% of CO2 emmissions annually, while ignoring the real offenders (Power generation, Construction & Materials, and Farming account for 75% of emissions). Could it be that pollies are trying to divert attention from the much harder problems (especially Power Generation) and make it look like they're doing something about CO2 emissions while actually doing almost nothing?

Also. the pollution effect of aircraft and big boats is dispersed into the global atmosphere , out of sight of the general public, who have greater concerns it seems.

If you live in London , Delhi or Beijing in summer or winter or in between you might just see matters differently.

I choke on the fumes of Melbourne & Sydney ,  but people who live there seem to have lungs which have adapted . They won't be pink though!

Yes , politicians play politics and I don't trust any of them. And pollution won't effect me in the next century. But having gone down the breeding route , I do care about any steps to improve the outcomes for my offspring.

Now I'm off to look at pictures of puppies and cars. But not dirty diesels.

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

Also. the pollution effect of aircraft and big boats is dispersed into the global atmosphere , out of sight of the general public, who have greater concerns it seems.

If you live in London , Delhi or Beijing in summer or winter or in between you might just see matters differently.

I choke on the fumes of Melbourne & Sydney ,  but people who live there seem to have lungs which have adapted . They won't be pink though!

Yes , politicians play politics and I don't trust any of them. And pollution won't effect me in the next century. But having gone down the breeding route , I do care about any steps to improve the outcomes for my offspring.

Now I'm off to look at pictures of puppies and cars. But not dirty diesels.

So I guess its best then that we all burn the horse dung we scraped of the city streets and travel no more than a few kilometers from our home for life. Me I am happy to give up 12 months of my now long expected (thanks to modern medicine) lifespan in order to keep all my mod cons and not revert to the struggle to survive of my ancestors and their much shorter expected lifespan. 

Attacking modern Diesel cars is just a beat up as there are way more things than PM that will shorten your life by a lot more. An emerging one is people dying (early) of cold related issues due to energy poverty. 

I see you're already in survival mode ;)
Doesn't take much for civilised people to go feral. Saw it once when they cut a Telstra cable at Melbourne airport. Angry pensioners everywhere, people fightin' fer taxis.

The strong and fit survive. And the preppers, for a few weeks.

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

If they do this, and make all SUVs electric or hybrid, it'll keep more options open on engines for the sports cars a while longer so this would be a really good thing for us if true.

Side note: Just a stat I love to chuck around, there are approximately 1100 cruise ships in the world, those 1100 ships spew as much pollution as 1/3 of the global car and truck fleet. There are currently 52000+ merchant vessels, and of those 11000 are bulk carriers. 99% of them burning bunker fuel. 

Why are we bothering with transforming an entire industry (cars and trucks) that only contributes 7% of CO2 emmissions annually, while ignoring the real offenders (Power generation, Construction & Materials, and Farming account for 75% of emissions). Could it be that pollies are trying to divert attention from the much harder problems (especially Power Generation) and make it look like they're doing something about CO2 emissions while actually doing almost nothing?

We won't mention what the volcanoes spew out every day either.

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

Think you're going to have pink lungs, keep dreaming fella:)

5 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

I see you're already in survival mode ;)
Doesn't take much for civilised people to go feral. Saw it once when they cut a Telstra cable at Melbourne airport. Angry pensioners everywhere, people fightin' fer taxis.

The strong and fit survive. And the preppers, for a few weeks.

Note even close. Effectively retired at 50 and still way short of 65. So now I spend my time enjoying life. If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard something along the lines of. “I whish I had done that while I was still young enough to do/enjoy it” 

“Strong and fit” I would add intelligent. ?

6 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Note even close. Effectively retired at 50 and still way short of 65. So now I spend my time enjoying life. If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard something along the lines of. “I whish I had done that while I was still young enough to do/enjoy it” 

“Strong and fit” I would add intelligent. ?

I'm 55 but don't hold back from anything I did when I was 18, not much has changed. Life is about choices and a bit of luck.

Get through the angry 40s and life becomes much better. Watched an ABC doco couple of nights ago - guy took up sprinting aged 95 , loving life , travelling the world , also looking online for love. :D good on him. And yes , the 100m world  final was full of other 95-100 year olds. Live fast , die young or old . Whatever!

Archived