Manual conversion

Jcg1

Hi guys,

‘I have a sporto that works perfect and am looking at converting to manual. Does anyone know what the cost involved in doing this would be and also,what would I get back on the sporto if I sold the bits. I bought this car as a second project but now am thinking of moving my manual car on and keeping this one but want to convert to manual.

is it worth it? This is a number matching car genuine rhd so everything matches so far

Bloke I met coupla years ago converted his sporto to a manual. In the region of $10k for a shop to do it including a box, pedals etc, and he said it was the best thing he had done to the car. Probably costs more now though. I'd be calling a reputable Porsche shop for a more accurate quote

Know a few sporto lovers will disagree, but I reckon its a great idea to do it, as if and when you want to sell, a manual is a bit more of an attractive proposition to a buyer than a sporto. On the other hand, it is all matching numbers etc, so there's a chance you could devalue it for the purist market. Just depends how you think and do you care really

There are always 2 side to this discussion ....

My 2c ....

The current and most probably the future market now values originality ... there was a time when almost anything went and would sell .... nowadays all original is king.

The sporto market is a bit different though .... they are not as sought after as the manuals .... but .... I can see a time when they will be praised for what they are ... it will be the same story as the targas, the 924's the 996's etc ... always avoided and now highly praised.

On 5 March 2018 at 11:01 PM, Jcg1 said:

Hi guys,

‘I have a sporto that works perfect and am looking at converting to manual. Does anyone know what the cost involved in doing this would be and also,what would I get back on the sporto if I sold the bits. I bought this car as a second project but now am thinking of moving my manual car on and keeping this one but want to convert to manual.

is it worth it? This is a number matching car genuine rhd so everything matches so far

Just heard on my small grape vine that there someone converting a manual to a sporto in the Central Coast area. May be worth contacting Simon at Autowerks for more info.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 11:01 PM, Jcg1 said:

Hi guys,

What model is it?

This obsession with originality is a trap.

It stops you doing what you want to do.

Unfortunately it’s where we’re at these days. 

Sell the sporto and play with your other one or buy another one that doesn’t tick all the anoraks’ boxes and go crazy.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:24 PM, Jcg1 said:

It’s a 1974 model

Sporto bits will be hard to sell and not worth much ($1,000 give or take)

Conversion will cost around $10k give or take by time you get a box, clutch, pedal cluster, clutch fork, labour etc

If you convert it, better off keeping all the sporto bits to sell with the car when the time comes.

Archived