How to go about finding O/S import cars history.

Trying to find some history for my 911.

Came to Oz several years ago, ex Japan, as a slant nose, [ Non factory  }76S

Engine # that came out of car here...6360035  2.7 ?

Chassis # 9116300013

Its a start, if you don,t ask.......

4 hours ago, wilburforce said:

@LeeM started a great topic on this from memory - his was ex-Japan as well

You have a better memory than me mate. Buggered if I can remember posting that ?

Mine is ex Hong Kong, yet haven't delved into trying to find its history.  Am told it's almost impossible, yet can be done if you have the patience that I don't possess

http://www.japaneseodometercheck.com       should be able to find registration docs , auction docs if it came through that path etc etc There data if available is quite good , not service histories but good mileage info etc ..

What are you trying to find out ?

@LeeMH.K a lot lot harder .. very conservative and the local dealer not helpful at all , they have split nowdays to three or more dealers and will give you the pass around.. Lots of stuff held up in privacy concerns

Having the original? Engine # and chassis, I am trying to find out history BEFORE Japan. Selling dealer, first owner etc. Bought a re- production 76 S owners / maintenence manual from the states so I can document the cars life during the period I have it. 

Many thanks for your assistance & replies. 

I presume you have a 911S that was ex USA ?? Go to the Pelican Parts Forum & look for questions about getting a certificate form Porsche USA, I have not done it - but it costs a bit and does give some info on options the car had when delivered.

Sometimes there are clues about where it came from. In California they were serious about emissions testing and left little decals in odd places ( door jambs) usafter testing. Another clue is rust repairs, if its unmolested you can be confident it lived in a place like Southern California. Some states made the owner get another VIN number stamped - same number but in a more prominent spot - but I dont know which States.

Keep us posted.

OK, sorry, has been backdated before I purchased it back in March. Prior to that, when it came from Japan, in a very sad state. And presented as a slant nose. ( non factory ). I will update when I have more info. Thanks once again! 

Your car is LHD from memory right?

Japan ordered their cars from Germany in LHD format (as did Mercedes and BMW).
The Japanese saw it as a status piece to be getting the cars "as per the factory" and such they were LHD, even if they produced cars for the RHD market.

What Im getting at is, I think your cars history might be Japan. 

5 hours ago, BlitzKonig said:

Your car is LHD from memory right?

Japan ordered their cars from Germany in LHD format (as did Mercedes and BMW).
The Japanese saw it as a status piece to be getting the cars "as per the factory" and such they were LHD, even if they produced cars for the RHD market.

What Im getting at is, I think your cars history might be Japan. 

Not quite right - Porsche supplied both lhd and rhd to Japan.  There are 2 different Japan country codes, one for lhd and one for rhd. 

20 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Not quite right - Porsche supplied both lhd and rhd to Japan.  There are 2 different Japan country codes, one for lhd and one for rhd. 

How interesting. Any reason for bringing in both? Seems silly supporting both?

26 minutes ago, BlitzKonig said:

How interesting. Any reason for bringing in both? Seems silly supporting both?

Market for both existed.  Some buyers wanted rhd given the road rules, and others wanted the status thing. 

Archived