New Cayman 718 Purchase in Sydney

I have been lurking around for a while so I thought I would finally introduce myself and I will hopefully go on some drive days with the Sydney groups down the track, particularly since I will probably put a deposit on a new Cayman order on Monday.

I have been looking at a Cayman purchase for a while, low miles with SPASM and PTV for Putty Rd style drive days.

I started with a 981 Cayman GTS, worked my way to the GT4 but realised I needed PDK (wife cannot drive stick), then ended up looking at the 718 S or GTS.

I plan to keep the car for maybe 10 years or more so I am thinking of buying new and the depreciation and amortisation is not so bad over that time. I also appreciate the reliability of a new car. My current drive I have had for 14 years and it has only just hit 52,000kms and has been faultless. 

I have read all about the sound issues of the 718 but I am mighty impressed with the 4 cylinder turbo cars these days and not coming from a Porsche background I am not bothered by the sound or missing cylinders and actually prefer it a little quieter for my wife and I to drive around on special outings and/or her alone. Although if I could afford a 991 GT3 I would probably get that! I have also considered waiting for a 718 GT4 but I think it will be above my budget and really the GT cars are probably more than I need. 

Also coming from an old twin turbo B5 RS4 with 400hp I really appreciate the torque and rapid pace of the 718 as well as the improved handling. I also appreciate the smaller size of the 718 and it will remind me of those fun days when I drove an E30 in my youth. 

There also seem to be good discounts offered on 718s at the moment with their advertisement "Rare Opportunities now on the 718 Cayman..."

I am pretty happy with the configuration of the cars I am considering and the discounts being offered but just wondering if there is anything else worth negotiating for on a new purchase. I mean it doesn't hurt to ask and any tips would be appreciated. I know I will be asking for a new hat as my current  M and Audi hats just don't match!

thanks advance

Don

Hi donR, and welcome to the forums!

I've seen your name a few times whilst lurking around the P9, Rennlist and 718 forums. I was in your situation October last year, and took delivery of my 718 Boxster in April this year. From your posts in the other forums, you appear to have done your research / due diligence. It seems a 718 is definitely the right car for you, since you don't mind the sound/4 cylinders, and you prefer the power delivery/torque of the turbo.

If I understand right, you are asking about the final wiggle room at the end of negotiation when the price has been settled upon?

I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, having only one new Porsche purchase under my belt (from PCSS). But I asked for and received some Porsche aviator sunglasses for the wife ($4-500ish in the online store), and then the sales guy threw in 2 motorsport bear plush toys for our 2 kids ($160ea in the online store). This was on top of all the standard stuff - free track day and I forget what else now...

So i think you can definitely ask for more than just a cap on Monday :)

Thanks Ian, yes I have been doing my research and easing my insanity with respect to buying a Porsche ;)

Yes I have essentially shopped for the best discount I can get which I've heard is unusual in Australia but as mentioned there is a promotion at the moment on 718s in Australia so that has presumably helped. Maybe also the higher S/GTS models with extra options also helps with their margins. I also think Porsche realises that 718 buyers are generally a different market and I notice alot of the options on the 718 costs more on the 911. 

Thanks the the tips on the extras and the online shop. I wasn't aware of it and will head over and have a look now. 

I will certainly ask for an extra cap for the wife and I wouldn't mind one of those motor sport vests. Our kids are a bit older now for those soft toys, although my youngest six may still like it. 

They did say they would be able to organise some sort of drive experience day for me when I get my car which I assumed would be free. I will make sure I ask again tomorrow! I'd actually appreciate some sort of driver training so I can learn the limits of the car. 

22 hours ago, donR said:

They did say they would be able to organise some sort of drive experience day for me when I get my car which I assumed would be free. I will make sure I ask again tomorrow! I'd actually appreciate some sort of driver training so I can learn the limits of the car. 

Have you been invited to one of the drive days to the Hunter or the Southern Highlands yet? I went on one recently and it was a bloody good day out. Certainly a little eye opening  driving the various models across the day.

To me, you'd want to be getting a reasonable discount on a 718. Seems they aren't selling as quick as they should.

Don't take any crap about them 'not doing deals - its a Porsche' either. Its not a GT car, there is no waiting list.

The 718 has been a sales disappointment for Porsche, especially in Australia. I would think 10%ish off even if they have to order it in.

10 hours ago, donR said:

I just went to pay my deposit on a 718 GTS January 2019 build but since Friday they now say it has been taken/sold. No other info as yet. ☹️

Are they trying to suggest that they only had a single 718 GTS build slot available to them, which is now gone? I haven't been in the Porsche world very long but that sounds kinda strange...

When I was ordering last year in October, everyone in Sydney (PCW, PCSS, PCP) was offering me Jan build slots similar to you. But if I was slow and the slot got taken it just meant a later build date, not a breakdown in the entire deal...

I found out late today from my SA that he was able to get allocated another January build slot which is a releif but I will try to get the full story tomorrow. 

Later build slots were still available but I'm not sure when and I'm told there will be a price rise since the promotion seems to have ended. As everyone knows the wait for these cars is long enough.

Another SA sold their last January 718 GTS build slot on the weekend causing the issue today, which did seem odd to me. 

However, I'd already negotiated the deal and had the appointment locked in to do the paper work all week so there was nothing to be gained from todays shinanigans.

I'm assumming there is a fixed allocation of each model each moth for each centre.

Yes I did the Hunter Valley model drive which was great. Though I would have like to have tried a 911 with RAS on those roads and the Cayman S they had was missing a few performance options but still went very well.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:14 PM, GC9911 said:

Hi Don, who are you dealing with?

I live around the corner from PCW so I ended up going with them. I think they did look after me and the last SA could see that I was an enthusiast rather than just someone cashed up, although I did go through two sales agents there before I bumped into Grant that who was exceptional, albeit temporarily lost my build spot. 

So as mentioned above another SA had sold PCW's only 718 GTS build slot for Jan so Grant had to try to get another allocation from Porsche Australia and was successful, thereby beating the price rise and keeping a 19 build car. 

So alls well that ends well. Anyway the long wait now so I guess I can celebrate when it arrives and what other goodies I will get!

8 hours ago, donR said:

I live around the corner from PCW so I ended up going with them. I think they did look after me and the last SA could see that I was an enthusiast rather than just someone cashed up, although I did go through two sales agents there before I bumped into Grant that who was exceptional, albeit temporarily lost my build spot. 

So as mentioned above another SA had sold PCW's only 718 GTS build slot for Jan so Grant had to try to get another allocation from Porsche Australia and was successful, thereby beating the price rise and keeping a 19 build car. 

So alls well that ends well. Anyway the long wait now so I guess I can celebrate when it arrives and what other goodies I will get!

Congratulations on your car. I have bought 3 cars through Grant, great to deal with.

Congratulations on the car Don. I presume you are looking at an April 2019 delivery?

I live a 5 minute drive from PCW, so I'm pretty sure I'll see you in your shiny new GT silver 718 CGTS driving around the neighbourhood very soon :)

Thanks. Yes Grant is excellent. I was lucky to bump into him and probably only went back there because of Grant. He also takes you on really good test drives if you don't mind an early start. ?

I think PCS is also very good if you meet the right people like Anthony Jones and they have a good local drive circuit. I didn't think much about Porsche Parramatta but I think often with these places it depends on the time of day and who you meet. 

Thanks Ian, they put March but I suspect it will more likely be April. I guess it will go fast with Xmas and NY coming up. I don't see a lot of 718s in the area so will have to do a meet some time!

• 6 months later...

Yes, picked the GTS on 2 April. Still getting the hang of the car and running in so just small throttle inputs and trying to keep to 4000 RPM max but it has been great. It feels a little cumbersome having to change early in the gears all the time and I can't wait to let the PDK do its thing all the way to 7300.

A very well mannered and comfortable car cruising around but really comes into is own when pushed hard. 

I have done a couple of mid week trips up to Akuna Bay/Church Point and did the Putty Road last Sunday with a VAG group which was a lot of fun.

Amazing car in the twisties and feels so well balanced and composed. I had the back step out once and a bit of understeer on a few steep down hill corners so wouldn't mind trying some slightly larger front and rear tires one day. Maybe GT4 spec Cup 2s. Otherwise the car feels quite controllable and very safe as is and well within its limits or my limits which that day was max 1.3G.     

I will have to link it with some other Porsche guys some time for a Porsche drive day! In the mean time have a Porsche Advanced Drive Day to do but will wait until after 3000kms. 

DSC_8389.JPG

DSC_8382.JPG

DSC_8600.JPG