Crankshaft pulley coming loose. 84 3.2 911

jb84911

I went for a run across the Black Spur the week after buying the car. Just got over the other side all the warning lights come on (great). Pull over, engine rattling (even greater). The crankshaft pulley had worked its way off (relief). I managed to get it back on (difficult as there isn't much room, its a double pulley ie. one for the fan, one for aircon.). Ever since then I constantly check to make sure it's still tight (and it has been).

Yesterday I went for a squirt with SMT boys, got to the twistie bits and heard a rattle, pulled over and the pulley was coming loose.Obviously backing on and off at higher revs creates enough reverse torque to loosen the bolt.

Any suggestions. Locktite? Spring Washer?

Thanks John

My RC Helicopters are all held together with Loctite Blue for easy release and Loctite Red for certainty, Green might be overkill. Loctite wouldnt hurt it, is it a grub screw or bolt? Just make sure you use the appropriate loctite product for the environment.

Hi, John.

I would have thought loctite blue should be fine.

Having said that, what condition are the threads and bolts like ?

Its worth having a good look, you never know what some clown may have done.

Also have a good look at the pulley.

Let us know what you find. :)

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

Just to answer your questions:

- It is a bolt

- The engine hasn't been out lately

- From memory I think it is a durlock bolt

What I will do is:

- Replace the durlock bolt

- Replace the pulley (as I did notice the hole for the locating pin was worn)

- Use the appropriate loctite

- Attempt to torque to correct specs. (difficult access)

Thanks again

What jnr Said, it is 180nm and get a new Bolt. Engage 5th gear and apply handbrake before you tighten her up.

I'd recommend doing a partial engine drop to get full access and get the right torque on it.

A new Pulley and Bolt would be the best way forward. It should not need loctite if you have applied 180nm to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread, how did it go?

If you havn't already done this job. Make sure the end of the crank has not been damaged and the pulley is a snug fit, also the hole on the end of the crank is still round. You might need to get a new pin as well or a longer one to help support and locate the pulley correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to it. The end of the crankshaft was fine but the corresponding face on the pulley was pretty average and the locating hole was elongated. Replaced the pulley and bolt, torqued it up everything fitted nice and snug. See you all on the 11th.

John

Finally got around to it. The end of the crankshaft was fine but the corresponding face on the pulley was pretty average and the locating hole was elongated. Replaced the pulley and bolt, torqued it up everything fitted nice and snug. See you all on the 11th.

John

I knew you'd make it !

Cheers,Mark.

Archived