New wheels what to choose

Dmentd

13 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Depends on the level of ride comfort you want - more flex int he side walls of the tyres on smaller diameter wheels.  My 996.2 on 18's rides far more comfortably than my wife's 987 on 19's

This is my concern but love the look so a compromise will take place. The top ones have 285 35 22 and the bottom are a 295 35 21. Depends how bad the ride is on the tyres fitted I will go with a thicker side wall.

Personally I think 35s would destroy the ride of a SUV. Going a higher sidewall on bigger rims will ruin your speedo reading too!

My ML has 19s with 50s and is a good compromise between handling and compliance (my old ML had 17s and was too bouncy, the 19s are better)

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Do you intend to drive on country roads ?  If yes, think about wheel damage and tyre damage?

I will be driving to and from goldcoast a few times in the next year or so have done it a few times already and that seems fine with my fpv GT and that has 20s with low profile tyres. But prob not classified as a country road.

Not a Cayenne -- but what way you driving.. ? 

Real world Pcar experience

I have got one small scratch .. on my GT3 19s in a year .. you just gotta get a quick rack installed to dodge the potholes ;) 

I have drive both my cars not 4WD Cruisers, up and down the coast and regularly head out over the hills in my cars.3-5 hr jaunts in Northsren NSW and SE QLD. you just have to keep an eye open. If your going a little off the main drag , one thing to consider is the availability of tyres and a good puncture repair system, you might struggle to find easy access to tyres unless your on the goldcoast, if you need one in an emergency.

I have a couple of sets of wheels on my 993 Turbo and in all the time being up here an thrashing around , i have had a few buckles rather than punctures .. on 35/40 profiles.

You could always put Coopers on , my landrover loves em !

3 hours ago, Dmentd said:

Thanx bud, how do you find the comfort/ride? Is it a daily?

Yes, it is my wife's daily and I would class it as comfortable when I drive it (but, I daily a 930, so may have different threshold to what is classed as comfort). 

54 minutes ago, symsy said:

Not a Cayenne -- but what way you driving.. ? 

Real world Pcar experience

I have got one small scratch .. on my GT3 19s in a year .. you just gotta get a quick rack installed to dodge the potholes ;) 

I have drive both my cars not 4WD Cruisers, up and down the coast and regularly head out over the hills in my cars.3-5 hr jaunts in Northsren NSW and SE QLD. you just have to keep an eye open. If your going a little off the main drag , one thing to consider is the availability of tyres and a good puncture repair system, you might struggle to find easy access to tyres unless your on the goldcoast, if you need one in an emergency.

I have a couple of sets of wheels on my 993 Turbo and in all the time being up here an thrashing around , i have had a few buckles rather than punctures .. on 35/40 profiles.

You could always put Coopers on , my landrover loves em !

I'm moving to the goldcoast in a few months so mainly highway driving up and down

I have the second option, the 21’s on my Macan. They are awesome no real issues on any road conditions. Of course potholes will kill either of the rims so not a key decision for you.  I drive it daily and have done a few spirited SMT’s and find the handling and ride quality fine. I run Michelin tyres and they wear well. Look into what tyre brands and ease of availability for either choice of rim size (and cost) it may help your decision process.

7 hours ago, Dmentd said:

I'm moving to the goldcoast in a few months so mainly highway driving up and down

Go to action tyres  Matt .. Goldcoast Southport .. when you wear them out or pop em , good prices and the boys look after some cup cars 

Archived