The right oil spec

Morpheus

Morning all. Not looking to open a can of worms but keen to hear what oil you run in your car.

Context to this is, like some other things I had expected were completed prior to delivery of my 996 C2, some short cuts were taken which I’m only now discovering. Have just looked back at the documents of work done to the car and can see the mechanic put in 5w30 engine oil, which to me does not sound right - I don’t even put that in my GTI...

From what I can see the oil that SHOULD have been used is the 0w40 or 5w40 spec in the A40 list. Sound right?

I've run Motul 5w-40 for the last few years on the recommendation of my mechanic who runs Motul in a number of track / road rally cars - Porsches and other breeds.  It is my understanding they have several versions of each of their oil grades, with one that meets the Porsche factory specs.

Drain it out.  Especially as its still summer. 

I've never seen 5w-30 recommended by...anyone - especially in Australia.  Maybe ok in Sweden.  Jump on the Shell / Castrol / Mobil etc oil selectors for Australia on their websites and they will all recommend something with a minimum of 40 on the end.

I've run Mobil 1 0w-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 and currently Mobil 1 5w-50 and cannot detect any difference between them.

• 3 weeks later...

Got around to changing the oil. My god... I reckon over ten litres came out and it looked pretty dark. Not good, given I had only put something like 1000 kilometres on it. 😳😳😳

Anyway has some nice 5w-40 Penrite in her now!

https://www.instagram.com/p/ButFK06Dtmv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=77kn93gsp33r

On 08/03/2019 at 21:58, Morpheus said:

Got around to changing the oil. My god... I reckon over ten litres came out and it looked pretty dark. Not good, given I had only put something like 1000 kilometres on it. 😳😳😳

Anyway has some nice 5w-40 Penrite in her now!

https://www.instagram.com/p/ButFK06Dtmv/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=77kn93gsp33r

I think that pic has helped me decide on my numberplate choice for Ken 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 07:15, Morpheus said:

Morning all. Not looking to open a can of worms but keen to hear what oil you run in your car.

Context to this is, like some other things I had expected were completed prior to delivery of my 996 C2, some short cuts were taken which I’m only now discovering. Have just looked back at the documents of work done to the car and can see the mechanic put in 5w30 engine oil, which to me does not sound right - I don’t even put that in my GTI...

From what I can see the oil that SHOULD have been used is the 0w40 or 5w40 spec in the A40 list. Sound right?

0W-40 Mobil 1 is the factory recommendation, I'd be trusting those Porsche engineers who suggested it since they've done the development for you.  The other way to do it would be to try the others and have an oil analysis done and compare.  Anything else without hard data is pure speculation as to its superiority.

No issue with the 30 oil BTW from a viscosity perspective, as long as you can maintain the recommended oil pressure with that weight oil.  Some cars these days are filled ex factory with a 0W-20.

• 2 years later...
On 26/03/2019 at 18:17, carl888 said:

0W-40 Mobil 1 is the factory recommendation, I'd be trusting those Porsche engineers who suggested it since they've done the development for you.  The other way to do it would be to try the others and have an oil analysis done and compare.  Anything else without hard data is pure speculation as to its superiority.

No issue with the 30 oil BTW from a viscosity perspective, as long as you can maintain the recommended oil pressure with that weight oil.  Some cars these days are filled ex factory with a 0W-20.

Just had my 80,000km/2 year service by Porsche Townsville and they used Castrol Edge 5W-40 A3, was expecting Mobil 1. They did not mention what oil they were going to use.

Interestingly, quantity was 7.5 litres, price was $81.80 ex GST.

Looking through old invoices from PO, Autohaus charged him $183.00 and used 8.5 litres for Mobil 1 and another service only used 8 litres.

Invoice from PC Willoughby in 2009, $225.00 for Mobil 1 (no quantity).