Boeing MAX8

We all fly so it should be of some concern.
I'm with Trump this time on how machines (especially planes) are overly complex nowadays. 
I can make a choice with cars that can't be hacked or suffer dodgy electronics , but not planes. Unless I take the Tiger Moth.

Let alone all the BS we have to go through with security and angry passengers.
Many aspects of life are quite unpleasant "these days". Not an improvement on the old I'm afraid. That's a fact.

Yes I am one who tries to avoid all of the modern info entertainment systems in modern cars ,,,I like to keep things functional and simple ,,,some thing I find hard to get in a new car ...My only comfort requirements are AC and a good seat that hold you inplace ,,dont care about all the other crap that distract you from driving ,,,,Had my 997 for around 5 years now and never use the sound system ,sat nav or any of those gadgets in the car ..

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Yes I am one who tries to avoid all of the modern info entertainment systems in modern cars ,,,I like to keep things functional and simple ,,,some thing I find hard to get in a new car ...My only comfort requirements are AC and a good seat that hold you inplace ,,dont care about all the other crap that distract you from driving ,,,,Had my 997 for around 5 years now and never use the sound system ,sat nav or any of those gadgets in the car ..

I'm such a modern primitive than on a plane I stick to reading a book/mag and if it's a long flight , watching the screen in front of me. Nothing has changed in the past 50 years since they put TVs on planes. It's just now everyone seems to need 100s of choices to "personalise their experience ".
Then , when something stops working , there is a riot or panic.
People were ringing 000 and SES because FB was down today. A society of addicts!
Make things simpler and you will have more contentment and less angst.

43 minutes ago, ANF said:

Ask some (maybe most?) People with new cars, they don't know how to work over half of the shit on their car...

We have an 8 year old car that neither myself nor my wife have bothered to learn half the shit on (it's a povo pack Cayenne so hardly loaded up & yet..).  Music, aircon, seats & that's about it.  Everything else I own is either much older or (in the case of the defender) so primitive that recent build is no hurdle to simplicity.  I feel trinkets are the only way to differentiate cars these days - looks good in the brochure & gives the salesperson something to talk about.  Most cars are so efficient in how they go about their core purpose it's only the useless stuff left to fiddle with (went looking at fridges the other day....exactly the same issues...one job).  Quite possibly just another sign of getting old but I'm well & truly over complexity for the sake of it.

4 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Thick as a whale omelette. Ask me something about "apps" or anything "financial". Just totally disinterested.

A Whale omelette? 😂😂😂 Sounds like me though

I refuse to download apps to my phone for anything, as big brother knows enough sordid shit about me, and as I've been hacked twice on Ebay and PayPal, I'm very wary of trusting anything associated with apps. I've looked at stuff online on my laptop, then all of a sudden I'm seeing the same stuff on Instagram that has been 'recommended to you'. How did they know? Because they know everything! 

As for gadgets in cars, what shits me is those lights in exterior mirrors warning people of someone in their blind spot. If you need that to drive a car, you should take the bus. I watched a learner driver just look in the mirror and not turn her head when wanting to change lanes next to me very recently. I pulled up on the other side of the car down the road and had a go at the instructor, yet he could hardly speak English! Not surprised at all. I rarely use my aftermarket satnav now, as its quicker to grab the book, look it up and go the way you want to go, not 103kms out of your way which according to the satnav is the 'quickest route'! S'pose I'm just old school

As for the plane thing. I'm just glad I don't fly regularly, coz theres no way I'd be getting on that model plane! It would be good to have some input from a commercial pilot

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

As for gadgets in cars, what shits me is those lights in exterior mirrors warning people of someone in their blind spot.

I'll reprise the comment from the lady who backed into my 928 a few years ago. 
"That's the second time my reversing alarm hasn't worked!"
If mfrs stopped trying to turn boxy cars into sporty coupes, there would be no issue with visibility.
The issues with distractability require some cranial reprogramming. I'm all for big brother inserting an app for the dilatory members of our society.
As in the Kingsmen movie.

14 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

We have an 8 year old car that neither myself nor my wife have bothered to learn half the shit on (it's a povo pack Cayenne so hardly loaded up & yet..).  Music, aircon, seats & that's about it.  Everything else I own is either much older or (in the case of the defender) so primitive that recent build is no hurdle to simplicity.  I feel trinkets are the only way to differentiate cars these days - looks good in the brochure & gives the salesperson something to talk about.  Most cars are so efficient in how they go about their core purpose it's only the useless stuff left to fiddle with (went looking at fridges the other day....exactly the same issues...one job).  Quite possibly just another sign of getting old but I'm well & truly over complexity for the sake of it.

There are some functions of my 07 Merc ML that I do not use..... I have hired new Mercedes of late and the amount of "features" is literally mind boggling....

I must say that I am not a fan of the latest fad of full LCD screens instead of analogue gauges.... I think 2010 is about the newest car I would now aim for.... (as a daily)

For me peak automotive utility came in the mid 90’s. My 993 & E36 M3 have everything I need without the nonsense, waffle & complexity of modern cars. Almost every modern car I’ve bought since has been an electrical money pit....I’m OK for a car to stop working because a 200,000 km mechanical part died BUT I’m apocalyptic with rage when a car stops for no other reason than an electrical gremlin that no one can source for a purpose I don’t value !! I’m +1 for simplicity...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/hitech/what-happens-when-the-tech-in-your-car-is-too-clever/news-story/bc2a41e533e72875e189f718a084d81c?fbclid=IwAR3GxCLAOa5hWSAB5d7orDl37m291ZVY97aK0bo6VHyUgzmbG4bS08PnDN8

"Innovation can equal aggravation. Just because a car maker has added some hi-tech feature to the latest model doesn’t guarantee it’s a good idea. Even very senior auto industry executives know it …“Some of the stuff is not so useful as it seems in brochures,” Harald Wester said in an interview back in 2015. The straight-talking German engineer, boss of Maserati at the time, was explaining why he thinks brand heritage is more important than glam technology.""“Whenever you test a car and after an hour you are looking for the switching-off button, you know that you are enjoying a feature which you do not really want.”"

Unfortunately for most of it you cannot turn off!!

I hired a new ML 18 months ago that had Mercedes's new Distronic cruise control, controls the cars speed based on the car in front of you. Was fine (except for the large distance it insisted on keeping - made it hard to seamlessly overtake cars....) until a car pulled off into a left side slip lane to turn off the highway, as the car braked and we approached it caught the sensors of the Distronic and slammed the brakes on, at 100 km/h!! I did not use cruise control again!

For me keeping an older car on the road longer (indefinitely maybe?) would ultimately prove cheaper and much better for my sanity!!

@ANF

A mates missus insisted on them buying one of those Nissans with the one speed auto trans. He said around town it was ok, but try to overtake someone on the highway is absolutely useless and had to rely on the slip lanes. They took it back and lost few thousand just to get rid of it and he has control over buying cars again 😁

41 minutes ago, ANF said:

Unfortunately for most of it you cannot turn off!!

I hired a new ML last 18 months ago that had Mercedes's new Distronic cruise control, controls the cars speed based on the car in front of you. Was fine (except for the large distance it insisted on keeping - made it hard to seamlessly overtake cars....) until a car pulled off into a left side slip lane to turn off the highway, as the car braked and we approached it caught the sensors of the Distronic and slammed the brakes on, at 100 km/h!! I did not use cruise control again!

For me keeping an older car on the road longer (indefinitely maybe?) would ultimately prove cheaper and much better for my sanity!!

Yes - the stupid modern cruise control software is for girls who are texting/ on-the-phone all the time.

I bought an Infiniti (Nissan) in from Tokyo & chose that particular car because it didnt have that cruise feature. When it got here I got an old fashioned cruise control module fitted. Perfect. But I am still too scared to play with the "black box" entertainment system in case I Brick the whole car.

Brother has one of those cars that turns itself off & restarts to save a thimbleful of petrol. Salesman told him he could turn that feature off himself, but he was lied to.

6 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Yes - the stupid modern cruise control software is for girls who are texting/ on-the-phone all the time.

I bought an Infiniti (Nissan) in from Tokyo & chose that particular car because it didnt have that cruise feature. When it got here I got an old fashioned cruise control module fitted. Perfect. But I am still too scared to play with the "black box" entertainment system in case I Brick the whole car.

Brother has one of those cars that turns itself off & restarts to save a thimbleful of petrol. Salesman told him he could turn that feature off himself, but he was lied to.

You can turn most of them off, every single time you get in the car though..... 😤

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Yuck! 😳 

Unfortunately the new 992 is the same style... well it does still have one real gauge….. tacho is real, the rest is one large LCD.....

Porsche-911-992-interior-1[1].jpg