Selling through Shannons vs online auction houses

I bought a house so trying to off load 3 cars including the '73 993 update, a 550 replica and a '57 Benz 190 roundie

Tried Greysonline because it was the quickest and most convenient to place a car with. However, the '73 has not sold after two auctions

Shannons seem to involve a lot more, needs longer lead time and more expensive. They charge $550 entry fee and 11% (ouch) of the selling price for a reserve auction

Anyone had experience with Shannons? Or have general advice?

Not keen on Gumtree and Carsales at this stage,  don't have time for time wasters and idiots

8 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

Not keen on Gumtree and Carsales at this stage,  don't have time for time wasters and idiots

I guess it equates to how much your time is worth ...

If you have a $50k car, premium and entry fee will cost you $6k ... then calculate the "cost" of lead time wait etc .. obviously double that cost for $100k

Gumtree, carsales and ebay have a wide audience and realistically, you only need 1 buyer.

Personally, I'm more than happy to put up with that kind of crap for $6k ... :D

Selling is a royal pain in the neck!! If you look at net return out of auction , you making more profit by advertising car on various platforms and go with a 'priced to sell' asking price. You also want to set the bar pretty high for the proposed buyers to actually see the car. Maybe 'by appointment only '  ,' refundable holding deposit paid prior to meeting'. If your photos and information about the car is comprehensive and truthful , a 'real' buyer will know if he wants this or not. You might cut out the 'test drivers'. You want to advertise as widespread as possible , E bay   Facebook market place , Gum tree  Carsales  etc, etc. It is all a bout the right person seeing the add when they are hot to trot. That person might be 3 days away or 3 month. Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. ( just remembered  there are also brokers around , selling on your behalf. )

I am just on a roll , so I thought I ramble a bit more: 😂 Once you spread the word , what tends to happen is ,that you start communicating with a number of interested parties. This goes back and forward , they want to know this and that , get more photos , etc. I think , just like in Real Estate  , you have a lot of opportunity at that point to create urgency, and take control. If I am keen , and I know the seller is potentially finalizing the deal with another party , that does wonders for a Credit card deposit. Otherwise it seems more 'open ended' ,and the ones 'sitting on the fence' tend to remain there. We are talking a bit of money in anybody's pocket , and often enough a'little push ' needed.

Ebay  &  Facebook to get the advertising ball rolling, then CarSales.

Actually you must have been partially succesful - as a friend ( non P car) recently asked my advice about your 73 993, so people are talking about it.

Congratulations on buying a house. I take this as another sign that things are returning to "normal". 

50 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

thanks all

@Tips, roundie is coming up for sale too. I polished it on the weekend and replacing the carpets this week

Shoot me some details if you like, I have some connections in the MB community if you would like to offer it to enthusiast first as there is a lot of pontoon love, prior to auction. 

Here you go, thanks mate

1957 Aussie delivered and I have some history with it

Was registered till 2015 I think. Runs well. Some rust bubbles in the left door and some paint grazing on the roof and deck lid. But hey, its the original 62 years old paint, what do you expect

I am replacing the car, didn't like the crappy after market ones on it. Interior is perfect and retrimmed in leather

Looking to get $15k ono

the first picture was half way through polishing it

7-EF50-DA1-EF64-4-BCB-82-E0-26-D91413-C1

F1-D8-D3-BE-50-D1-4456-9470-A0-BDDFADCA0

4-BC92360-5622-4796-9-A7-E-775-ABD0-F6-F

94-E4-F183-665-A-442-E-8-AD4-2-E9-A25-B7

18-FE7893-451-F-4354-8-B4-B-3-E0-FFCE0-E

E98475-D1-D1-AA-472-E-BFCA-7977-E1-A98-E

16 hours ago, rafikdous said:

the first picture was half way through polishing it

@rafikdous looks great for the age of that paint. I have posted it on the MB fb page which is a closed group and see if I can get you any interest. Will need to have the VIn and a few more details on if it’s petrol, diesel gears etc and contact details so I can post in the MB forum if you would like me to.

4 hours ago, rafikdous said:

That’s what I thought but getting no buyers so far

I've been regularly putting money aside in the toy account, but currently have nowhere near enough to make an offer which isn't insulting...

For a resto novice with a dream of a long hood at some point in the future is it significant structural  work to return to its former self? 

Im thinking interior incl dash but outside of rear guards is it bolt on nor has inner guards floorpan or front body been changed?

Buyers are like deer, they're easily spooked.

eBay and Gumtree aren't great for selling a trickier proposition such as the 73. 

Whilst I understand you going to auction to get a result, I think it needed to be Shannon's or nothing, those lesser houses are just damaging to the value, and now have set a low water mark which hasn't even been realised.

Selling cars is a pain in the arse, and can waste heaps of your time.

I would put the 73 on Carsales while you get organised with the other cars, not much help, I know.

Spend an hour on a good write up and pics of underside as well.

1 hour ago, Tips said:

For a resto novice with a dream of a long hood at some point in the future is it significant structural  work to return to its former self? 

Im thinking interior incl dash but outside of rear guards is it bolt on nor has inner guards floorpan or front body been changed?

Front guards, bonnet, deck lid and bumpers are bolt on replacement

Rear guards are more complicated, they will need to be removed and the original grafted on

No structural mods

39 minutes ago, 9er said:

Buyers are like deer, they're easily spooked.

eBay and Gumtree aren't great for selling a trickier proposition such as the 73. 

Whilst I understand you going to auction to get a result, I think it needed to be Shannon's or nothing, those lesser houses are just damaging to the value, and now have set a low water mark which hasn't even been realised.

Selling cars is a pain in the arse, and can waste heaps of your time.

I would put the 73 on Carsales while you get organised with the other cars, not much help, I know.

Spend an hour on a good write up and pics of underside as well.

thanks 9er