Phillip Island - New PB 🙂

Had another dip at Phillip island on the weekend, and after the fog cleared we got 2 perfect runs! Knocked 2 seconds off my previous PB!

As always, any tips are much appreciated. Still want to shave another 3.5 seconds off it.

Best lap

Below - few laps from the Final session (was back to back so tyres were hot but fuel was low).

Was testing a few things like holding 3rd for Honda and MG. That datto is a 950kg E85 225rwkw SR20 weapon!

Skip to lap 4 to see my car from behind

Hope you enjoy

I reckon there's a lot left on the table.  I did a track walk with dean canto a while ago and have been trying to implement his tips.  All about straight lining as much as possible.  I'm no expert but this is what I reckon having watched your vids.

- turn 1, brake later and harder and then hard on the gas and drive through it rather than hug the ripple strip

- turn 2, let the car drift wide mid corner then as the front starts to bite, get back on the power earlier rather than hugging the radius

- Siberia, similar to turn 2, drift wide and then drive out with inside front wheel over the inside of the ripple strip then drift right out to the outside of the ripple strip on the way out 

- hayshed and lukey, inside front wheel way over behind the ripple strip (in the grass 😁😁) to straight line the corners and maximise speed.........easier said than done but try it, it works! I was alarmed at where they said to position the car, basically centre the car over ripple strip.  You can see wheel tracks in the grass behind the ripple strips so it happens!

I feel i can speak with authority having bettered my PB by 2s on Sunday 🤔 😂.  But I also know that any video looks bloody slow compared to reality and every lap I do is different and it's easy to be an armchair critic!  Unfortunately no in car video for me so you can't pick the shit out of my laps....😂

@DJM thanks heaps mate! I knocked 2 seconds off my previous PB as well, but there's still work to do!

Will get back there and work in those pointers! What day did you do with Dean canto? I'm going to do an evening day soon. 

You were flying Sunday! Car ran well I take it? I never got to come see you at the end of the day as we went out in the last back to back session

Very neat driving and good times! You can go the inside ripple strip at Honda to cut some distance.

17 hours ago, DJM said:

- hayshed and lukey, inside front wheel way over behind the ripple strip (in the grass 😁😁) to straight line the corners and maximise speed.........easier said than done but try it, it

Keen to try this at the next outing so long as it's not raining I guess!

On 25 June 2019 at 03:31, reddahaydn said:

@DJM thanks heaps mate! I knocked 2 seconds off my previous PB as well, but there's still work to do!

Will get back there and work in those pointers! What day did you do with Dean canto? I'm going to do an evening day soon. 

You were flying Sunday! Car ran well I take it? I never got to come see you at the end of the day as we went out in the last back to back session

Porsche drive day when I had the GT4 (@kammo was there too) - at each corner we stopped at, canto explained lines, braking etc and another pro drove through each corner at pace to demonstrate as we stood track side and watched up close.

Later I had Steve Owen drive my car while I rode passenger.  F&$k me, so much harder on the brakes, so much more consistent and smooth than me and about 5s (yep 5....) faster then me.  I liken it to playing golf or tennis with a pro, very hard to emulate but you pick up a LOT.  

The other thing was not using down changing to slow the car.  He just stood the thing on its nose using brakes and shift from say 5th to 3rd for Honda after the car had slowed.  

RX7 was fast in that final session on Sunday, we left early to get home and pack for Bali, 4am start on Monday!  I was right on the tail of Lynch in his "V8 Supercar" on slicksand I drove by Sally in the beast 997 Turbo so I knew it was a fast final session and ended up quicker than Lynch and 3s quicker than Sally with a 1:42.4.  i reckon it'll go faster yet....gotta catch those damned WRXs that did 1:40 & 1:41!  I'll take 3rd fastest for now....

@reddahaydn ps what do you recommend for in car video?  I got no footage from Sunday because the scrutineers don't like my iPhone mount and in any case it's a PITA to keep charged, can't reach from driving position to start it etc.

Probably about time I invest in a proper setup but last time I looked at Race Recall and others they were mega bucks which I struggle to see value in.  I'm coming off $15 Harry's lap timer app........gotta have speed readout to be any use.  Not fussed about g force and other data.  

good tip about not using engine braking - i don't really do that, and that's what caused John's engine to blow up at Sandown - apparently LS3's don't like hitting 7500 rpm on the downchange!

I'm currently using track addict pro with a link to my go pro (whatever the new go pro is, it doesn't need a cover so the sound is heaps better, plus the image stabilisation is good)

I also use a bluetooth obd2 to get revs/throttle etc from the car. 

I tried to also hook up an external 10hz GPS reciever on the weekend but I couldn't get it to work while the bluetooth OBD2 reader was connected, but if i can get that to work as well then you have track position/lap times/speed and G forces all sorted and very accurate. the phones only sample at 1Hz. lap times they are within a 10th normally, but they go off the track at corners. I'll show you at the track sometime. 

I am looking into a AIM Solo 2 or a Racechrono pro so that i don't have to keep plugging my phone in and out and connecting to everything every session. Something i could maybe hard wire to 12v or a usb plug and leave in the car. Dunno, we'll see. 

I'll show you my set up sometime, it's pretty easy for basic videos. Just needs to be a bit more accurate on the GPS side of things. 

You could probably hook a external GPS to harrys to get accurate speed data. or just try track addict. 

I use Racechrono and a QStarz 10Hz GPS, you can export the data to various analysis software packages and then overlay video but I haven't bothered...probably why I'm still so slow.

On the plus side the phone shows split times at various tracks so if you fumble a section you don't have to waste brakes and tyres completing the whole lap at pace.

Thanks @Kammo, I'm trying to decide between the race chrono, or an external GPS for my phone and run it with track addict. I find the speed map on the phone useful with the Google maps satellite image in the background. And I can Bluetooth my OBD2 data to it as well. 

Probably splitting hairs. 

• 1 month later...

Getting closer to my 3.5 second goal. Knocked another 2.6s off yesterday. Pumped!

Still feels like there another 1.5 seconds left, but the rears starting to get real twitchy now, needs a harder rear sway bar.

Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Wish I had re read your tips before I went Doug. I didn’t do most of them properly!! I need to Use more ripple!!!!

I reckon you need to buy a faster car now, the 996 is maxed out.......🤔

Very clean and smooth lap , that's always fast.

I need to get me some camera action so I can see if I live up to my ripple claims.  With a dirty shitter track car you can be hungry for the ripple,without a care........yes,.I said ripple........😂