WTB: Used Shift Knob for 911 SC

AdRock

I chuckled a little about the fact that I'm posting on the internet that I'm looking for a second hand knob. 

....not that there's anything wrong with that! 

But seriously - the knob that came in my car when i got it was horrendous - so, I pulled it off and now I'm looking for a much nicer one.   :)

If anybody has an old shift knob that they don't want and would be happy to sell/post to me (unless you're in melb) - please let me know. 

To suit 1983 911. 

7 hours ago, Michael SC said:

a red billiard ball and some diy 😉

Was actually going to look at doing a skateboard wheel if I couldn't find one. Otherwise plenty of cheap and nasty novelty ones on eBay. 

I'm not sure if this is true or not but somewhere along the way I heard / read that the gearknob must have the gear pattern showing on it to make it legal? Yeah, I know everyone has one without it, but that excuse won't fly ... :cool07:

I don't know the reasoning behind it but I'm thinking either someone with more knowledge can chime in or do a quick search on google ...

VW Beetle has it stamped on the dash

Also heard, read, who knows, that if you have the standard gear knob in the car, in a handy easy access position, that this is ok too.

Have to ask Mr Google

UPDATE: I have had a quick look at the ADR and legislation and the only reference to displaying gear select patterns, that I can find, applies to the automatic gearboxes only.  Manual doesn't get a mention, but will keep looking.

@OZ930, Brian, you're correct. The rule about having the shift "pattern" on or at the gear lever only applies to vehicles with automatic transmissions.  It must also be illuminated when the lights are on.  ADR 42/01 (section 42.5.2) is your friend.  My Renault RS has a knob with a big RS  on the top, and nothing else.

17 minutes ago, AdRock said:

Thanks for the info everybody!

Looks like my dodgy skateboard wheel or ebay special might be the way to go!

Golf ball? Drill a hole and push it onto the gearstick. Works a treat 

@Stew F @OZ930 Yet Regency inspection here told me 2.5 years ago it's a requirement for all vehicles to have the shift pattern displayed. Who fkn knows who is right 🙄

On 06/08/2019 at 18:19, AdRock said:

I chuckled a little about the fact that I'm posting on the internet that I'm looking for a second hand knob. 

....not that there's anything wrong with that! 

But seriously - the knob that came in my car when i got it was horrendous - so, I pulled it off and now I'm looking for a much nicer one.   :)

If anybody has an old shift knob that they don't want and would be happy to sell/post to me (unless you're in melb) - please let me know. 

To suit 1983 911. 

I think I have my old shift knob lying around somewhere...

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

Your local skate shop will have piles of them.

Went to one yesterday, but they only had sets. Wanted a new one, not a used one.   :)

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Buy?  There are plenty at the local skate park.  Take your pick...and run.

Doubt I'd even have to run.... they'd be too stoned to chase me anyway.

On 07/08/2019 at 13:04, LeeM said:

Golf ball? Drill a hole and push it onto the gearstick. Works a treat 

@Stew F @OZ930 Yet Regency inspection here told me 2.5 years ago it's a requirement for all vehicles to have the shift pattern displayed. Who fkn knows who is right 🙄

ADR's rule the automotive industry in Australia.  They set out the minimum legal requirements for design and functionality of motor vehicles in Australia.  Most of the DH's at Transport SA wouldn't know a shift knob from a shifting spanner.  

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Skateboard trucks? I dunno, I think it will look a bit odd...but each to their own

Lol, nah not trucks. Just a skateboard wheel.

Although they work better on threaded gear shifts as they just take 2 nuts to install...
Aren't the 911SC shifters tapered? I forgot to check when i was at the car last weekend.

That first one would piss me right off with the nut poking out. 

I've tried quite a few gearknobs in the past year to see what shape I really wanted from a drilled out golf ball, original VW Polo black golf ball type (good, yet best with gloves on), 3 original wooden Porsche knobs including a brilliant Walnut one (all were expensive and not for sale, yet drilled one out and cracked the fkn thing), a 917 wooden replica (hated it), 2 alloy ones from Supercheap (one is good and may use it for my inbound Wevo shifter), some moulded plastic thing I made, the horrid gearknob from my van, SAAS leather one that was trashed anyway, a Momo knob and a couple of others, yet the best one I've found is the stock standard SC one.