Tracking a car, what's involved?

JD!

Well starting to dive into this world and wanted to see what members could provide information on racing.

Specifically:

• What does that car have to have done to it? e.g roll bar, tow etc

• Do you have to be a member of a club or organisation?

• Does it effect insurance, or is insurance void if on track?

• What does it cost to turn up to a track and race?

There are probably a thousand more things to know, but this would be a good start...

Hi JD,

Yes join a club - only then can you put in for (Speed) Licence to participate CAMS/AASA.

No car insurance coverage at event but limited personal coverage.

Car - Only battery Blue Triangle and tow hook.

Your choice - Items for track vary but can go from Brake pads/race fluid, Tyres R spec ($500 each),suspension etc.

Advanced Driving Course required for Track participation (ask Club).

My suggestion is Basic items required to start, then participate in Motokhanas to advance skill level and chance to discuss further advancement with Club members.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,Mark.

Hi JD,

Yes join a club - only then can you put in for (Speed) Licence to participate CAMS/AASA.

No car insurance coverage at event but limited personal coverage.

Car - Only battery Blue Triangle and tow hook.

Your choice - Items for track vary but can go from Brake pads/race fluid, Tyres R spec ($500 each),suspension etc.

Advanced Driving Course required for Track participation (ask Club).

My suggestion is Basic items required to start, then participate in Motokhanas to advance skill level and chance to discuss further advancement with Club members.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,Mark.

Brilliant starting info Mark, thank you.

I was unaware that you needed to join a club to go and do some laps...

I am sure that it is one of the slipperiest (and most expensive :D ) slopes you can slide down with cars...

It is just good to know the starting point.

And learn this mantra:

"It's not how fast you can go...it's how fast you can afford to go."

:D I can only imagine the spend once you get hooked...

And learn this mantra:

"It's not how fast you can go...it's how fast you can afford to go."

Great. Thanks for shattering my dreams!!!

Really though, I'm sure that depending as to which class you are in and how "seriously" you want to take it, the cost can be affordable to most.

No insurance.........now that could be expensive!!!

Theo do you want to make your car 'look' Club Racer or actually club race?

If it's not the later this could be far easier - half cage, couple of numbers and triangle stickers, white boot polish sponge and perhaps red racing harness which match the red Toto993 decal on your front guard.

You will look the business going to work and about 2 hours work to return back to normal if you get bored.

..... No I'm not serious with this post.

I was unaware that you needed to join a club to go and do some laps...

You don't. Plenty of open track days which you can attend with a street legal car, the only requirement is that the car is roadworthy.

No need for stickers, fire extinguisher or tow hooks (those things are typically required for club supersprints).

If you give Winton Motor Raceway a ring, I am sure they still do a Friday free for all, so to speak. Used to cost about $120.00 a few years ago, so it has probably gone up by now. You will be allocated times that you can hop on the track, keeping in mind you may be on with the odd lunatic, plus some serious race drivers.

You need to have 3 very functional rear view mirrors and be prepared to let the quicks go past you. Get there with a full tank of petrol as you will be surprised how much you go through, and again from memory the petrol bowser at the track is not open on the Fridays. Pump the tyres up and have some fun.

Good to hear, I assumed that they would have open days like that, wasn't sure of details though from people who have done it before. I did some searching online and Winton do Fridays, seem to be $140. From 8:30am til 5pm, interesting.

You can join a car club for around $100 a year, cams licence is about $80. For that you can access just about any track in the state with good company and not limited to Calder and Winton for around $120-$150 per event.

If you are looking to buy a Porsche these fees will be minimal in comparison to other associated costs.

Happy to come up for a drive, if I don't have any plans if you decide to do a Friday up there.

Give you a hand with any manual labour you may need.

Thanks Niko, very kind. I better wait until I get that dam P-Car, the Bimmer wouldn't cut it ;)

You can join a car club for around $100 a year, cams licence is about $80. For that you can access just about any track in the state with good company and not limited to Calder and Winton for around $120-$150 per event.

If you are looking to buy a Porsche these fees will be minimal in comparison to other associated costs.

Great info, and all I need, that will be the answer down the track for sure, thanks for all the input guys B)

Thanks Niko, very kind. I better wait until I get that dam P-Car, the Bimmer wouldn't cut it ;)

Ha ha, yep sorry I am putting the cart before the horse, but whenever you take the plunge, I'm in.

Archived