Cracked Rim - What To Do?

Digital Mouth

I suffered a blown out tire thanks to a cracked rim most probably picked up on the M4 and Parramatta Road some of the pot holes on those roads are dreadful I could hear a strange rattling sound in my car yesterday behind the left passenger seat where the little plastic screen sits between the two passenger seats I heard it again today and then BOOM I lost control of the car and luckily I was able to regain control and quickly move her over to the side of the motorway.

Is it worth repairing or should I buy a new rim I just hope that Rim is still on the market otherwise $$$.

:(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm bugga. DM, I have never seen those chrome rims before, is there a brand name on them?

You have only had the car for a short time, maybe the rim always had a problem, as we were saying the small profile tires on those 20" rims are not going to give much protection, to the rim.

But certainly could have just happened, our roads are just as crappy down here.

At least you and the car escaped relatively unscathed.

Might be a good time to re assess the wheels.

I would think you may be able to get it repaired, but chances are it may happen again to that one or another wheel.

SteamWolf has posted a good site for original Porsche wheels today, check it out if you want to go that way (1979 911sc Help on wheels)

Good luck with it, let us know how you go

Neals wheels or another place in Blacktown I can't remember the name of right now are both good.

I hate to say it but the 20's are not going to do you any favours in the busted rim department. They are made from Ubercheap alloy and with a small sidewall there is just not enough give the spread the load out. Parra road is just a little rougher than a tuff truck course lol.

+1

Uncle's comments are just and valid. You are better off with maybe an 18. Make the ride a little more compliant also.

After experiencing buckled rims, and that was with 18s, I would hesitate to ride on 20s unless they were high end and designed to take a little punishment.

The fact no one was hurt and the car was not damaged is most important however the broken wheel could be a blessing in disguise.. Repairing a wheel is an option but the wheel will never be as strong therefore as reliable. Time for a set of wheels that add substance to the car, not detract from it!

I'm sure you could find a nice set of the original 17' or 18' wheels that would look great and restore the ride to the way it was intended. Plus, tyres will be much cheaper than on the 20's too :D

Best of luck and let us all know the outcome!

Preferably, you would want second hand if you can get them I would think, new from the dealers is an arm and a leg.

Different styles obviousy, if you check out the site that SteamWolf posted we mentioned before,(7.44 AM YESTERDAY ON THIS POST) that will give you pictures of most of the Boxster wheels, plus the dimensions. Once you know which ones you like, I would be looking at the P club classifieds in N.S.W. (or P clubs all over Aust for that matter) Ebay and any of those type of places.

James from AUTOHAUS has his finger on the pulse up there and may be able to guide you in the right direction.

I think you are making the right move if you take that path with the wheels.

I would be looking at 18"s preferably (which I am also currently keeping an eye out for, for myself) But 19"s might be ok..

Unfortunately It will be $$$ for rims and tyres, but the result will be worth it. Might be worth getting someone to check the front end and suspension out before fitting the new ones, just to make sure there has been no damage done by those big 20"inchers.

And the alignment etc is all ok.

Might be a good thing in the long run...

Go to the MAIN FORUM PAGE. Then go down to cars

then go to 911's 1978-88

then second post down 1979 - 911 sc Help on wheels. Then down load or check out the wheel reference site.

Not trying to get into your head but I would be looking at 18's for yours....

Regards,

Niko

Niko, you should talk to Mark about wheels!!

C

Mark and I have been chatting C,

but I have decided the wheels I am after are these, so if anyone knows of any I would appreciate any info.

wheels.jpg

2005 Boxster S

Archived