Price Value: 993 tip Vs 3.2

This is getting a bit off-topic-sorry.

Didn't realize yours was a tip Niko, anyone whose worried about how quick the tips are just get between Niko and Chris on a SMT and be prepared, they peddle those things well and have a great time.

I've tried to stick with Niko in the twisties on SMT, too quick for me! Tip or man. wouldn't matter if you know what you're doing.

I would take a Boxster S but 2 seats is strike 1 and lack of tin roof is strike 2. The sun is just too darn hot most of the year to go around with no roof on.

I almost got into a Boxster when shopping for a Porker. Drove a few and loved them, only having 2 seats convinced me to go back to my first choice of a 911. Not such a big fan of soft tops either. I hardly use rear seats now so a Cayman S could be next if I ever find a reason to get out of my SC. It could be while, there's still plenty of grin factor every time I drive it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks boys, I,m starting to blush here. Another plus for the tip is.....

when I am out with " she who rules the roost" and I have to get serious with my driving for whatever reason. I flick the stick over to manual mode without saying anything. Out of the corner of my eye I watch my wife tense up, the right hand goes across her body and clings onto the armrest, her legs straighten out and starts trying to push her feet thru the floor in the footwell. and preparing for her worst nightmare. All without saying a word. Aarrgghhh love it.

The tenseness and a gentle sigh of relief emits, when it gets flicked back to meander mode.

I remember the first SMT I went to with PFA.

Hadn't had the 993 that long and Niko was in front of me in Cockster when we ended up behind two 4wds on the twisties.

I was really apprehensive about overtaking while Niko just did what had to be done.

Must say I was really impressed at the capabilities of car and driver.

WOW is right on the topic front.............3 pages in only a few days.

Well said Danny and Chris thank goodness we all like different cars, colours and transmission. Otherwise it would be one hell of a punch on with all of us wanting to buy the same colour, model and transmission car advertised on Carsales. The poor guy selling it would get 50 or more simultaneous phone calls from all of us PFA enthusiasts.

We can all join the " I'm Kev and I'm a porschaholic" evenings at the local AA but thankfully we don't all want the same car.

For the Vic PFA guys who have seen and driven behind Chris's magnificent tip 993S or Theo's awesome sounding 4s, Nikos stunning yellow boxster with those new wheels let alone tried to keep up to the 996 Turbo driven by James I'm sure we all for just a fleeting moment wish it was us driving.

They are all great cars, carrying the Porsche badge.

For me and mine the smile is there everytime I think about it.

And.....very well said on your behalf, Kev.

Not to forget a certain 968CS that goes like the clappers,

Plus a previous member in black Coxster 987 (who shall remain anonymous) who was also extremely quick.

All the varieties of our marque do exactly what they are supposed to do, just in different ways.

And.....in the end, it is all about the smiledesismileys_4421.gif

Yep well said guys, I was feeling a bit deflated earlier in the thread when there was some derogatory remarks made about tips and sports mufflers but I know what I know and that is that I love the sound of my car. So if I am happy with it who cares what others say. After all its my car!! Sure everyone feels the same way about there cars....

Good on you Kev well spoken. Lets get back in them there hills and have some fun....

Cheers

C

Right on the money Kev, and thanks for the kind words.

You guys have really got me thinking as to the mixed bag we really do have among us. The MEGA SMT was testament to that, and I didn't hear one complaint from anyone about the car they were driving! I'm getting itchy just thinking about another drive!!!

Been some interesting posts in this thread which if I am totally honest arent making me feel all that good.

I guess I am beginning to understand what it must be like to be a minority race living amongst others who have this mistaken believe of superiority...

:( :(

Chris

Sorry Chris. I didn't mean to dis your car and I wasn't implying any superiority, but you have to admit there are some crook sounding autos out there.

Yep well said guys, I was feeling a bit deflated earlier in the thread when there was some derogatory remarks made about tips and sports mufflers but I know what I know and that is that I love the sound of my car. So if I am happy with it who cares what others say. After all its my car!! Sure everyone feels the same way about there cars....

Good on you Kev well spoken. Lets get back in them there hills and have some fun....

Cheers

C

Chris,

I have seen your car around the area once or twice. She is a sweet, sweet ride and certainly a head turner esp with that wide ar.se... ;)

There is nothing to knock about your ride.

best

Mark

Good on you Mark and thanks for the kind comments. How is the restoration going? we haven't seen you on the forum is a while.

Once Christmas is out of the way will organise another car-park get together down at Brighton one nice warm night.

Cheers and thanks

C

Been some interesting posts in this thread which if I am totally honest arent making me feel all that good.

I guess I am beginning to understand what it must be like to be a minority race living amongst others who have this mistaken believe of superiority...

:( :(

Chris

Chris,

At the end of the day you drive what you want to drive, does it really matter what others think? My first 911 was a 993 tip. I had lined up a red 993 6 speed and just before signing the paperwork to take it home I took the tip for a spin (well 6 hour spin :) ). I thoroughly enjoyed the drive and decided to flip the 6 speed and took the tip. The one thing I hated about the tip was the torque converter. Really hated the clunk from 2nd to 1st gear.

Come to the 996 I switched back to a 6 speed. Really loved the smoothness of the gearbox and thoroughly enjoyed the driving experience. Come 11 year later my next 911 is a 991S PDK. I am more than happy to put my hand up and say I love the PDK experience. Call me lazy call me a sissie I buy and drive what I want not what others believe is the best car. Hell most people turn their nose up to the 991 for not being 'pure' 911....Care factor 0 :)

Love your 993S given some spare change I would park it in my garage any time, tip and all!

Thanks Arthur, really appreciate your comments. I had gone through the manual experience with my 930 and thoroughly enjoyed it but just decided I liked the idea of the tip and given the only car I wanted to replace the 930 was a 993S then there was little choice as not many manuals ever come up. Yes the Torque converter I agree with your comments and like you if i had the means I would be in a PDK equipped car for sure.

I agree, care factor 0 in the future.

thanks and Merry Christmas

C

Good on you Mark and thanks for the kind comments. How is the restoration going? we haven't seen you on the forum is a while.

Once Christmas is out of the way will organise another car-park get together down at Brighton one nice warm night.

Cheers and thanks

C

Hi Chris, the resto is going slowly but well, the engine is stripped and we are looking at different options.... ie P& C etc etc...

I haven't posted much but have been a frequent lurker ;)

I will keep my eye out for the next catch up ....

Have a great christmas !

cheers

Mark

Hell most people turn their nose up to the 991 for not being 'pure' 911....Care factor 0 :)

Agree ....btw, i had a closeup look at my mate's 991 yesterday, a Carerra S,

bar needing a good clean.....she is one sexy beast !

Archived