Price Value: 993 tip Vs 3.2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a really interesting idea. You could build something quick and bullet proof.

I know ther is a guy in WA getting around in a very quick 993 Tip which has a TPC supercharger in it. 10K and you are Turbo quick.

Theo,

Have you considered a supercharger in your car?

You will then have every acoustic sound covered!!!!

We will then have to keep you in front in the SMT's so that we can be entertained.

I get that the 3.2 and 993 are very different cars. And I haven't driven an example of either yet so it's all speculation. One just never seems to come up near me and I don't want to go and test drive dogs because I think it would put me off.

On the 996 : I agree they are a very compelling value proposition to the point where the market has discounted them further than a replacement engine would cost - call it an 'pain and suffering discount'. But I've decided they are not for me purely based on the overall offering - it comes down to many things but ultimately they are just too fat in the hips for my liking. I was sat in traffic the other day behind a beautiful dark blue 993 and I just had that 'want want want' feeling. I also get the feeling I could make a 993 my daily drive - bearing in mind I currenly cover about 5000ks a year in my current daily driver. But then I"m getting away from the original idea of getting a P car as a 3rd addition to the fleet as an ongoing project car.

As for carsales - well, I can never get automated emails to come out of those sites anymore. I don't know whether it's a lack of new cars or something else.

You guys with cars must get tired of those without who endlessly go in circles second guessing themselves.

Not at all. I did it for ages and its just the way it is.

I am sure everyone on here has had the same problem at some point. Like most real true car or Porsche guy I love them all to a point and sometimes your vision gets clouded by what you want the most. Hell I don't even mind the fried egg look of 996's that much..

Holly Cow......I'm in serious trouble here. desismileys_3461.gif

STRIKE 1. Mine is a boxster.

STRIKE 2. It's yellow.

STRIKE 3. It's a tip (I wouldn't call it an auto if you use the transmission manually)

STRIKE 4 Oh no, and now it's also a sludge box with a set of pipes.

(Well nearly it's only a sludge box at the moment with a noisy muffler on the boat so

soon it will be a sludge box with a set of pipes, well a FISTER muffler anyway)

desismileys_6973.gif

Each to his own.

If I had my time over again, I might ditch the yellow,,, otherwise pretty happy with the sludge box Poxster

N.B. I have also been behind in front and by the side of Chris in his "sludge box tip" which goes extremely well and sounds sensational and I for one would love to have that one in my garage.

Early 996's are very drab, especially the hard plastic door trim panels and dash's (apologies to anyone here that owns one...) 996 ownership also opens a myriad of other issues IMS failure etc.. I would go down the Boxster path before a 996..

You cant really compare 993 and a 3.2 they are two different cars and comes down to personal preference, a better comparison might be a 964 and 993...I strongly feel the 964 is an undervalued overlooked model

As for 993 prices, what people ask and what they are worth in real money can be vastly different... you will also sell a clean Aussie 3.2 much quicker than the equivalent 993 tip.

My .2c worth

Early 996's are very drab, especially the hard plastic door trim panels and dash's (apologies to anyone here that owns one...) 996 ownership also opens a myriad of other issues IMS failure etc.. I would go down the Boxster path before a 996..

I think I am taking a liking to you now....

Many who are ill-informed joke and quote the Boxster as being the poor man's Porsche... they've obviously never driven one before

I've been lucky enough to own both a Boxster and a 996 in the past and the Boxster was arguably the better and more reliable car to drive.. I'm calling the Boxster S as a future collectable :)

Theo is that the guy on rennlist? sounds like a wild machine. His posts are really informative and he sounds like he really knows what he is talking about.

C

Sure is Chris. Really well set up.

High kms in 993 tend to be 150k. High kms in a 3.2 tend to be 300k.

Where do these deals show up? Is it wholesale market, auctions, that sort of thing? Or do occasionally private cars,come up for sale where urgent cash is required?

This was a carsales add I had been watching. started at $69K, then $59K and he was trading it and would have taken $51K if I remember correctly.

Also just for the sake of it I'll throw this one out there. For the same money you can buy a tip 993 you can buy a 6 speed 996. I know I know not the same thing but stick with me here. Now instead of chucking 15 to 20k at putting a 6 speed in a 993 place 15 to 20k into building a stroker motor for the 996 while fixing the IMS/RMS problem and you would have a very fast car. Interesting hey...

Agree with uncle if you want a quick comfortable tour-er you could go down that track,

get Total 911 issue 91, Autofarm UK rebuild 996/997 to early GT3 performance (3.9 litre) but a better

every day touring car, cheap way (relatively) to get reliability and better performance, love my 3.2 but

would like one day to step up to something else (with air con) .

Steve.

Many who are ill-informed joke and quote the Boxster as being the poor man's Porsche... they've obviously never driven one before

I've been lucky enough to own both a Boxster and a 996 in the past and the Boxster was arguably the better and more reliable car to drive.. I'm calling the Boxster S as a future collectable :)

Now I am really starting to like you....desismileys_3992.gif

Hmmm maybe not quite this much though...

Agree with uncle if you want a quick comfortable tour-er you could go down that track,

get Total 911 issue 91, Autofarm UK rebuild 996/997 to early GT3 performance (3.9 litre) but a better

every day touring car, cheap way (relatively) to get reliability and better performance, love my 3.2 but

would like one day to step up to something else (with air con) .

Steve.

Cheapest performance bang for back would be bolt on mods to a 996 Turbo...Cant go wrong..Those things can be ridiculously quick !!! a mate has one that scares the bejeezes out of me....

This was a carsales add I had been watching. started at $69K, then $59K and he was trading it and would have taken $51K if I remember correctly.

Well, if you see one next time, straight on the PM please :)

Sorry to bang on about this, but right now on carsales, the cheapest 993 tip is $47k, and the cheapest 993 manual is $75k. Same kms covered for both. That's a big markup in my books.

I would take a Boxster S but 2 seats is strike 1 and lack of tin roof is strike 2. The sun is just too darn hot most of the year to go around with no roof on.

I did find a 993 tip within driving distance, so I might tee up a drive just to see what I think. It's at a dealer so I don't mind wasting a bit of their time with an unlikely purchase.

Cheapest performance bang for back would be bolt on mods to a 996 Turbo...Cant go wrong..Those things can be ridiculously quick !!! a mate has one that scares the bejeezes out of me....

Agree but Turbos bring bigger money and bigger repair/rebuild costs .

I thought your comments were put very fairly. So no offence there even though your not talking Boxster tips.

Actually, in all honesty I drove an early 986 Boxster 2.5 Tip and I thought it was OK. I still got frustrated with it in the twisties though...........made a beautiful noise as well.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease......I live and Breathe Porsches and I'd hate to offend any 'Birds of a Feather...'

Is it possible to over rev in manual tip mode, or have they blocked that?

Yes, its blocked. Its brain tells it that if you request a downchange when it is reading parameters say it would 'not be a cool thing to do' , it will refuse to downshift. Which saves 25k engine rebuilds.

Thats why people look for Tip Engines when they are doing a 3.6 Conversion into an earlier car as they are less likely to have suffered an over-rev.

I had a Brand New Toyota Celica once( a very long time ago) and I let my girlfriend drive it on a long trip, she downshifted from 5th to 2nd at 120km/h.

It didn't make a nice noise...........wish that was an auto.

I have had that downshift problem a few times on on our SMT's. which is a problem, (and has brought my heart up into my mouth) sailing into a bend at reasonable rate on 3rd, click it into 2nd only to find she is staying in 3rd. Bugga. Whole new assessment of taking the bend in the wrong gear. Position....Speed....Gear my bend philosophy, first two go out the window when the downshift says "I don't think so"

But 95% of the time, clicks into the right gear nicely, you soon get to know the timing lag of clicking it in and when it takes up. Big plus is 2 hands on the wheel all the time, left foot punched up into the foot rest in the foot well, stabilizing your driving position.

I am a left foot braker, which I think is a plus also allowing quicker response on the accelerator once gear change clicks in.

The other plus (some may say negative) is I do run it in the auto mode for normal driving round town. Easy driving, I'm cool with that. If I need to do the competitive mode, simple click down on the wheel whilst in auto (sludge mode) and your back into the fun stuff, without having to slide the gear lever across.

I,ve driven lots of manuals, mainly WRX's and Dattos, love them too. had a Cayman S manual loan car from PCB once and it was sensational.

but grown accustomed to the tip now and love it.

Just what you feel good with in the end is all that counts IMO.

Apologies for hi jacking this post of its original topic.

Unfortunately for me, I do like most Porsches. It's choosing one and fitting a budget that is tough. And if I had the means and the resources, and bought several, then you would have to choose which one to drive.

There is no respite from choice.

Archived