32 year old virgin

Harvs11

I'm concerned my shiny, unused 32 year old virgin spare tyre may not survive being inflated. Especially on the side of a road somewhere far from help. (ie ACT SMT) So far I've had only 1 puncture in 5 years which was a slow leak and was ok to pump up until I got it fixed.

Has anyone ever had to inflate their collapsible spare tyre? Do these tyres have a "life"?

BA3BC2CE-1C24-4DBF-A659-4C3E1BC999F7-7992-000008F57F24F142.jpg

Interesting question as mine has never been used either.

Max recommended tyre life is 6 years as the chemicals that are used in the manufacture can start to break down with or without use.

I would imagine the same would apply to the spare. k

I took out the inflatable in my S2 and put in 16x7 although had to remove original carpet and replaced it with carpet trim.

Can't do that in a 968 unless I modify the carry braket, so at the moment still the inflatable (?).

Mark.

One my trip back from Tas in the 911 I stopped in at Repco and bought a plug repair kit for $20. Even if you have never done one before its an easy job to do and gives you 5 repairs. Then all you need is a air compressor and you are in buisness.

One my trip back from Tas in the 911 I stopped in at Repco and bought a plug repair kit for $20. Even if you have never done one before its an easy job to do and gives you 5 repairs. Then all you need is a air compressor and you are in buisness.

Great idea! beats lugging around a heavy full-size spare.

Good thinking, Mark.

I'll pack a spare 7x15 just in case.

We would already have for the ACT a 7x15 in your offset and another to suit 968/964/993.

So that not everyone has to carry a spare !

A can of Tyreweld can be your best friend , unless the sidewall has been torn. I have had 100% success with it . A couple of times it has take 2 cans but ultimately has worked. I keep a can in all cars

Were you able to have the punctures repaired after ?

Were you able to have the punctures repaired after ?

I had two repaired as they would not stop slowly leaking, but the rest just stayed on the car until worn out.

The reason that I got so many punctures was that up until last christmas I travelled to the city each day at 6.00 am following all the A/Hole tradies dropping screws and nails off the back of their utes.

Have to be honest, you guys have got me thinking about a tin of Tyreweld instead of a full wheel/tyre for Canberra SMT!

But then again, if we get a sidewall punched it ain't gonna help.

Tyre weld is a great idea, and I will go buy one today while Repco have 25% off everything for racv members. But it's true if the sidewall is gone you are going to need another tyre. Happened to me on an SMT couple of years ago. Luckily I had my space saver but my compressor was sitting in the garage at home, oops. Thankfully, I had Kez, Doug and Frank following me so I was able to borrow a compressor. I am pretty sure that was the first time the space saver in my car had been inflated in the 13 years it had been in the car. Worked a treat, got me home and deflated ready for another day..... Hopefully not!!

C

I would love to have a spare, not sure where you put a 295 x 20 in a 991 though, maybe on the roof! I like your idea of the plug kit Uncle, never thought of that, down to Repco tomorrow.

On the front hood Land Rover style. :D

Here's the kit with part numbers

sparecarrier.jpg

Archived