996 CTEK charger connection.

Prodigy

Just now, Costas said:

Just ensure that you don't start the car and drive off with it still connected and all... 😀

I still need an extension lead run on the floor  to get to the nearest power point   even with the ctek 2.5m  extension lead. But good point, in terms of reminding the Mrs before she takes it for a spib arouaroun the block.

Whilst we are on the topic of CTEK.  I have recently bought another unit and it came with a connector that can be permanently connected to the battery.  I has a 15 amp fuse incorporated and 3 indicator lights.  I was hoping to fit it to the 981 Boxster to avoid having to continually remove the plastic cover in the frunk.

As I understand from the manual and other posts read, it is best NOT to connect the CTEK neg terminal to the battery in modern cars.  As such I have been connecting the clips (Pos +) to the battery and (Neg -) to the car body.  The problem is that the perm connection lead has connectors that attach to the battery connector bolts.  The positive connector is ok but the lead does not reach to bolt provided in the car for the negative connector (wiper mount on drivers side).  There is a threaded hole on the opposite side for the wiper mount on left hand drive cars but no bolt.

Can I connect both connectors to the battery since it has a fuse incorporated in the lead, or should I find a way to connect the Negative terminal to the car body by inserting a bolt into the unused mounting point on the right hand side?

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Can I connect both connectors to the battery since it has a fuse incorporated in the lead, or should I find a way to connect the Negative terminal to the car body by inserting a bolt into the unused mounting point on the right hand side?

I have the CTEC permanent connector on my 981 Cayman and have connected the negative to the unused wiper mount using an M8 bolt and then I brought the lead out under the main cover next to the windscreen washer bottle.

164BEF76-3541-45DC-8914-FCA16C8C73B7.jpeg

A91A641D-2F57-4566-9CB7-03235558450B.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up connecting the M6 permanent eyelets to the battery, then just connect the 2.5 m extension whenever i want to charge the battery with the cable just running up near the windscreen washer jet. i can fully shut the bonnet without any issues with the cable getting trapped anywhere, only takes 2mins.

20210613_160710.jpg

20210613_161002.jpg

On 26/05/2021 at 17:42, Lucky Phil said:

I used the free bolt hole in the lip for my neg- 

Connection, As I found by using it, It gave me more length so I could run the charger conector under the battery cover so i did not have to remove it to connect . (It being the cover) I also use the 2.5 mtr Extension. There is also some 10 mm bolts that hold the aircon piping brackets on the shock tower that would  also be  ok.

20210613_194650.jpg